ADVERTISEMENT

Costco advice

Nole Lou

Seminole Insider
Apr 5, 2002
Ok, I've seen these discussions before, and never paid much attention, but I picked up a Costco membership for $60 with a Groupon. I know Costco has it's adherents...so what's the best deals things going at Costco, primarily in terms of saving? It's not too far away, but we won't be going there for our regular weekly shopping...what's really worth stocking up on say once a month? Or what's much better at Costco than a grocery store?

Prime meat, wine, organic produce, cheese, OTC medicines, paper products, tires, great seasonal items. The list goes on.....

Ok, I've seen these discussions before, and never paid much attention, but I picked up a Costco membership for $60 with a Groupon. I know Costco has it's adherents...so what's the best deals things going at Costco, primarily in terms of saving? It's not too far away, but we won't be going there for our regular weekly shopping...what's really worth stocking up on say once a month? Or what's much better at Costco than a grocery store?

From memory.

-Tons of great wines at a very cheap price.
-Their proprietary brand of XO Cognac recently won head to head against others tens and even hundreds times the price.
-Their Proprietary French vodka (different than their American vodka) is a smoother form of Grey Goose and is dirt cheap.
-Frankly the first thing you should do is pick up a bottle of the Costco brand XO Cognac and French Vodka. They really are fantastic.
-Their deals on lamb legs are usually fantastic. What I do is usually get it and cut 4 steaks from the fat end and then roast the thin end.
-Their proprietary hot dogs are better than even Hebrew National or Sabrettes and imo are the best caseless, nongourmet hot dogs around.
-You can get good deals on Dubliner which is one of my favorite cheddar cheeses.

Btw, their little food cafe is dirt cheap and actually good. Their drink and hot dog (their delicious proprietary one) is only $1.50 combined which makes for a super cheap lunch. And their cheese pizza is incredibly cheese and probably the best imo of the cheap corporate chains (ie I would gladly take the Costco cheese pizza over Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, Dominos, Little Ceasars, Hungry Howies etc...). I'm not saying their cheese pizza (which is far better than those with toppings actually as they scale back the cheese on the fancier varieties) would beat some high end mom and pop place or even good high end corporate places like Blaze or Mellow Mushroom but it does beat the other low cost corporate pizzas and it's FAR cheaper than even those guys.

best place we've ever shopped for so many things. I have bought tires for the car, tv's,vac's,and lots of things in the grocery. they have lots of good bargains all the time. we have booked cruises and vacations with them. They stand behind all the products and make things that don't measure up right. We have their Executive membership and we get a great check from them at years end. Great company.

Costco has a Groupon? Clearly they are circling the drain.

Seriously though, we buy a lot from Costco. Meat, milk, eggs, snacks, paper products, gas, beer.

We stock up on paper goods and meat from Costco. I am a big fan.

Definitely cheaper. Their Kirkland brand vodka is very good stuff and is rumored to be made by Belvedere. I've bought Macallan & Balvenie there for much cheaper than what its sold for elsewhere.
I love the rumor about Kirkland Vodka. You are saying made by Belevedere, and I have always heard it's made by Kettle One. Either way, it's not bad especially if you are mixing it in a drink and not drinking it over the rocks.

I love the rumor about Kirkland Vodka. You are saying made by Belevedere, and I have always heard it's made by Kettle One. Either way, it's not bad especially if you are mixing it in a drink and not drinking it over the rocks.

The cashier at our Costco was the one who told me it's made by Belvedere and also told me that their Kirkland Bourbon is made by Knob Creek.

Reactions: Nole Daddy
The overlooked product is electronics. The Costco warranty (better then the manufacturer's) is worth the membership alone. They will replace anything you buy there, no arguments.

The cashier at our Costco was the one who told me it's made by Belvedere and also told me that their Kirkland Bourbon is made by Knob Creek.
It was rumored that Beam used to supply the Kirkland's labeled bourbon several years ago. It was hot garbage. Those days are over as bottles available today specifically say Tennessee Straight Bourbon Whiskey on the label. Beam (who distills Knob Creek) does not have any distilleries in Tennessee. It is thought that Collier and McKeel are the current distillers.

These are my regular Costco items:

Chicken breast
Salmon
Ground turkey
Egg whites
Coffee
Almonds
Bottled water
Paper towels/toilet paper
Protein bars
Vitamins/fish oil

Correct me if I'm wrong (might be an OK thing) but Costco alcohol doesn't require a memevership.

best place we've ever shopped for so many things. I have bought tires for the car, tv's,vac's,and lots of things in the grocery. they have lots of good bargains all the time. we have booked cruises and vacations with them. They stand behind all the products and make things that don't measure up right. We have their Executive membership and we get a great check from them at years end. Great company.
This guy sold the most Costco Memberships of anyone in the Southeast last year.

There's a difference in their vodkas. The French vodka is rumoured to be Grey Goose but not confirmed. What is confirmed is that it's from the same water source and the same city as Grey Goose because that was required information for import. So let's just say it's basically Grey Goose.

Another thing that is confirmed is that Costco's bourbon is made by Buffalo Trace and their 7 yo Tennessee Whiskey is a Dickel product (which I do like better than Jack personally).

ok OP? Just get a damn membership already!

LOL, yeah, I got the membership. But the store's so damn big, wondering where to focus first.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm mainly excited about the meat, although I'm down to three meat eaters in the house, so I'm guessing I may have to start freezing some? Assuming they all come in huge packages?

LOL, yeah, I got the membership. But the store's so damn big, wondering where to focus first.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm mainly excited about the meat, although I'm down to three meat eaters in the house, so I'm guessing I may have to start freezing some? Assuming they all come in huge packages?

For the most part but not all. There's a couple of two steak packages for things like porterhouse. But the leg of lamb is literally the whole deboned lamb leg so for two people it makes 3-4 meals.

Yes. The chicken breasts and ground turkey come in pre-partitioned packages. You put them in the freezer and take them out when needed.

There's a difference in their vodkas. The French vodka is rumoured to be Grey Goose but not confirmed. What is confirmed is that it's from the same water source and the same city as Grey Goose because that was required information for import. So let's just say it's basically Grey Goose.

Another thing that is confirmed is that Costco's bourbon is made by Buffalo Trace and their 7 yo Tennessee Whiskey is a Dickel product (which I do like better than Jack personally).

Hell, I've never bothered to check the labels or find out who makes what Kirkland booze. I'm just relaying what I've been told. I've bought their vodka before but it's been a while. My purchases there have been mostly name brand. I've never bothered with their bourbon.

Overall, Kirkland Signature is one of the most top quality store brands out there, IMO.

Hell, I've never bothered to check the labels or find out who makes what Kirkland booze. I'm just relaying what I've been told. I've bought their vodka before but it's been a while. My purchases there have been mostly name brand. I've never bothered with their bourbon.

Overall, Kirkland Signature is one of the most top quality store brands out there, IMO.
I was just saying I have been told that the vodka is made by Kettle One. Who knows where it comes from, but I agree with you that it is quality stuff. I will drink Kirkland vodka over a lot of other vodkas that are popular like Absolut

Reactions: FSUTribe76

Costco is not a quick trip( at least for me). I am there for at least an hour and many times longer.

Can you provide where both of these are confirmed? I believe you are incorrect on both accounts.

Costco invests in a substantial amount of research and quality control in their Kirkland products. Like Publix, it's one of those brands that you can buy with confidence that you're getting top quality, regardless of the product.

Wine and meats...they beat Sams in the area IMO.

And of course all your fixed cost items like paper, soaps, hygiene stuff etc.

Can you provide where both of these are confirmed? I believe you are incorrect on both accounts.

“The bottle mentions Clear Springs Distillery and both Clermont and Frankfort, Ky. … According to a Certificate of Assumed Name filed with the state of Kentucky in March of 2011, the Clear Spring Distilling Company is in fact owned by Buffalo Trace.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inside...os-private-label-bourbon-wait-say-costco/amp/

"the 7 YO George Dickel store Selects are 103 proof. Maybe a coincidence but made me wonder if it's not coming out of Tullahoma...."

"Have to agree. That seems too likely a coincidence otherwise. Not many places have a lot of 7yo TN whiskey to sell I should think."

https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/23916-new-kirkland-costco-tennessee-whiskey/

“The bottle mentions Clear Springs Distillery and both Clermont and Frankfort, Ky. … According to a Certificate of Assumed Name filed with the state of Kentucky in March of 2011, the Clear Spring Distilling Company is in fact owned by Buffalo Trace.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inside...os-private-label-bourbon-wait-say-costco/amp/

"the 7 YO George Dickel store Selects are 103 proof. Maybe a coincidence but made me wonder if it's not coming out of Tullahoma...."

"Have to agree. That seems too likely a coincidence otherwise. Not many places have a lot of 7yo TN whiskey to sell I should think."

https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/23916-new-kirkland-costco-tennessee-whiskey/
I think that story is inaccurate as I have not seen that distillery listed on the bottle. The submitted label to the TBB lists Beam https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonli...publicDisplaySearchBasic&ttbid=11005000000034

The Tennessee whiskey lists this https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonli...action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=15344001000055 which isn't Dickel.

They will often times rotate who makes their Kirkland products, based on who gives them the best price. I will agree that it is always of good quality; Costco isn't going to put their name on something below par.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
They will often times rotate who makes their Kirkland products, based on who gives them the best price. I will agree that it is always of good quality; Costco isn't going to put their name on something below par.

Yeah, that's what I assume happens. Whichever higher end Company ends up with a surplus ends up selling it as under the table as they can to Costco. Definitely Costco isn't actually producing any of it themselves, just buying up surplus from higher end producers.

All I guess I can really say is regardless of who makes it, the most recent Costco XO cognac is the best brandy of any sort I've had and their French vodka is quite good (not the absolute best I've had but no worse than top 10-20%) and dirt cheap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT