For comparisons sake...

Derrick Brooks:
14 seasons
1,301 Tackles - 7th All-Time
13.5 sacks
25 Int's
24 FF's
Super Bowl Ring

The big difference is Pro Bowls where Timmons has only made one. Not sure why he isn't getting selected considering he has eclipsed 100 tackles the last 5 seasons and 6 of the last 7.

Last edited:
you're comparing timmons to essentially a top 3 LB of all time. i think timmons and quan are close and they have sb rings as that counts too

Reactions: BigCleat42
Exactly! If he can keep this pace up for another 4+ seasons he will be in the top 5 for tacklers of
ALL-TIME! Throw in 40+ sacks and double digit interceptions/forced fumbles, a Super Bowl ring, and he will have quite the compelling resume.

Pro Bowls be damned!

I had no idea that Timmons had 35 sacks. Wow! If he continues at this pace for the next 3 or 4 seasons you never know.

Reactions: CobraEatr
No chance. If LeRoy Butler, an All-Decade safety on a team listed by the HOF, isn't getting in, Timmons will need to buy a ticket.

So if Timmons finishes his career in the top 5 for tackles of All-Time you don't think he gets consideration?

No chance. If LeRoy Butler, an All-Decade safety on a team listed by the HOF, isn't getting in, Timmons will need to buy a ticket.

No chance. Really not even close. I love him as a player, but he's not HOF material. There are only 27 LBs in the HOF and a couple of them played more DE than LB. if you look at the inductees whose career spanned at least part of the last 30 years, there only eight:
Lawrence Taylor
Mike Singletary
Rickey Jackson
Derrick Brooks
Andre Tippett
Derrick Thomas
Junior Seau
Kevin Greene

Look at the stats and accomplishments of these guys. Defensive POY awards, tons of Pro Bowls, multiple times as First and Second Team All-Pro, hundreds of sacks, etc. The bar is very high and unfortunately, Timmons isn't really close.

Also, forgot to say I agree with the poster who suggested Anquan and Leroy. IMO, they are both very close.

Reactions: BigCleat42
Nope

I don't want to say no chance because if he somehow keeps up the pace for the next 3-4 years he would be close, but he most certainly is not in that level and im a Steelers fan

He isn't going to have their accolades, but a lot of that stuff is politics. He has a great chance of having more tackles than Brooks (7th all-time) and more sacks than both Brooks or Lewis. Those are Hall of Fame numbers, which to me means a lot more than a subjective honor/award.

No chance. Really not even close. I love him as a player, but he's not HOF material. There are only 27 LBs in the HOF and a couple of them played more DE than LB. if you look at the inductees whose career spanned at least part of the last 30 years, there only eight:
Lawrence Taylor
Mike Singletary
Rickey Jackson
Derrick Brooks
Andre Tippett
Derrick Thomas
Junior Seau
Kevin Greene

Look at the stats and accomplishments of these guys. Defensive POY awards, tons of Pro Bowls, multiple times as First and Second Team All-Pro, hundreds of sacks, etc. The bar is very high and unfortunately, Timmons isn't really close.

Leroy should be in. It's a crime he hasn't already been selected. Anquan has another solid season or two and he should be in. Seabass is close. He has more 50+ yard field goals than anyone in history and is still trucking along. Dunn will not make it, but his numbers are fantastic, and as we all know, is an even better human being. Timmons will likely fall in the Dunn category. However, if he keeps his current pace it could get interesting. I don't see how you they could keep someone who is top 5 in tackles (if he gets there) out of the Hall. Would be an incredible achievement for Lawrence.

Also, forgot to say I agree with the poster who suggested Anquan and Leroy. IMO, they are both very close.

He isn't going to have their accolades, but a lot of that stuff is politics. He has a great chance of having more tackles than Brooks (7th all-time) and more sacks than both Brooks or Lewis. Those are Hall of Fame numbers, which to me means a lot more than a subjective honor/award.
He isn't close to either Brooks or Lewis. It's not just stats, it's being great. He's good some years very good, but never a hall of fame guy.

Mostly agree. However over a 10+ year career stats start having a much great significance. Lawrence Timmons is clearly a great NFL linebacker. You don't have that much longevity and that many tackles if you are not an elite player.

That is why stats don't mean everything.

FSUtep7, who's top 3 of all time? Derrick? If so man I love Derrick as much as any FSU alum but not so sure about that...

Leroy should be in. It's a crime he hasn't already been selected. Anquan has another solid season or two and he should be in. Seabass is close. He has more 50+ yard field goals than anyone in history and is still trucking along. Dunn will not make it, but his numbers are fantastic, and as we all know, is an even better human being. Timmons will likely fall in the Dunn category. However, if he keeps his current pace it could get interesting. I don't see how you they could keep someone who is top 5 in tackles (if he gets there) out of the Hall. Would be an incredible achievement for Lawrence.
Janikowski isn't even that good. He's basically been a league average kicker the majority of his career. He has longevity but that's not getting him in the hall.

You don't play 18+ seasons in the NFL if you are not a tremendous football player. He is the Oakland Raiders franchise leading scorer and in the top 10 most points in NFL history. He has the most 50+, and 60+ Field goals of any kicker in NFL history. At one point had the longest field goal in NFL history (63 yards). Jano has the most field goals made in a quarter (4), and the longest field goal in overtime history (57 yards). All while making over 80% of his kicks. Seabass is a legend dude. He may not make the Hall (he is getting very close), but to call him "average" is a joke.

Janikowski isn't even that good. He's basically been a league average kicker the majority of his career. He has longevity but that's not getting him in the hall.

I would have him in the top 5-10. Top 3 is probably LT, Ray Lewis, and Singletary. Next for me would be Butkus, Brooks, Seau, etc.

FSUtep7, who's top 3 of all time? Derrick? If so man I love Derrick as much as any FSU alum but not so sure about that...

As they say it's the Hall of Fame not the Hall of Very Nice Career.

Well said. Timmons isn't famous. He isn't a pro-bowler. If he didn't pay for FSU I would have no idea who he was, and I'm a football fan that watches NFL every Sunday.

Last edited:
Why was this thread moved off the Tribal Council?

Well said. Timmons isn't famous. He isn't a pro-bowler. If he didn't pay for FSU I would have no idea who he was as a football fan that watched NFL every Sunday.

Why was this thread moved off the Tribal Council?

I'm not sure why I was quoted becuase I'm not a mod and didn't move this thread. But I am assuming becuase it's not about FSU sports, and is considered a NFL subject since Timmons hasn't played here in about 10 years.

Lawrence Taylor
Mike Singletary
Rickey Jackson
Derrick Brooks
Andre Tippett
Derrick Thomas
Junior Seau
Kevin Greene

Never heard the name "Rickey Jackson" before your post. Who was he?

And I'm not Googling. If he's THAT great, he'd be more of a household name.

Never heard the name "Rickey Jackson" before your post. Who was he?

And I'm not Googling. If he's THAT great, he'd be more of a household name.

He played for the Saints in the 80s. He is 15th all time in sacks, and when he retired I think he was top 5 in sacks.

Timmons is a good solid player, but to be honest, I am not sure he was even a top 5 player on his own defense for much of his career. Polamalu, Harrison, Farrior, and Hampton were certainly more important to the STeelers defenses. Not to mention Aaron Smith and Woodley who had some great seasons their. There is a limit of 7 players a year inducted, so not sure how a guy who was maybe only the 5 or 6 best player on his own defense for much of his career would get in. He would need to have a few seasons to close out his career where he was in DPOY consideration to even have a chance I would think.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT