ADVERTISEMENT

Cover letters

Formerly Rockymtnole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Feb 9, 2013
Seems like you see fewer and fewer these days.
I get that for many positions these maybe aren't necessary but still, it surprises me that people wouldn't take an opportunity to say who they are, why a job interests them, what they're looking for and so on. There's such a volume of applicants I find it's a nice way for people to stand out from the crowd.

What say ye?

If a prospect includes one, I might glance it over. I'm still of the mindset of less is more with a resume. People fudge the hell out of those anyway, I get more out of a personal interaction with an applicant. Cover letters are all the same, more or less, anyway. "I'd be an asset to your company... I'm interested in a position to utilize my skills and provide upward mobility... blah blah blah"

Show me where you've worked and what your job title was, I'll weed those out in a hurry then tell the level of BS in an interview.

If a prospect includes one, I might glance it over. I'm still of the mindset of less is more with a resume. People fudge the hell out of those anyway, I get more out of a personal interaction with an applicant. Cover letters are all the same, more or less, anyway. "I'd be an asset to your company... I'm interested in a position to utilize my skills and provide upward mobility... blah blah blah"

Show me where you've worked and what your job title was, I'll weed those out in a hurry then tell the level of BS in an interview.

I agree, the generic stuff is dumb. But I find them helpful in explaining why you've moved around a lot, why are you looking to move to my city from X, why are you looking to move from one employment setting to another. I don't want to have to schedule an interview just to ask those questions. So the applicant goes in the "promising but too much work" pile.

Aren't all resumes just electronically scanned/filtered for keyword matches before people eve get them? Why put the effort into a cover letter that no one really wants to read, and may not even accompany the resume throughout the review process.

Aren't all resumes just electronically scanned/filtered for keyword matches before people eve get them? Why put the effort into a cover letter that no one really wants to read, and may not even accompany the resume throughout the review process.
Could be. I don't hire much but when I do I don't let the dummies in HR screen for me.

I only get HR involved on a minimal basis. As for cover letters, they are dumb. I only do them if a position I'm applying for specifically calls for them.

Could be. I don't hire much but when I do I don't let the dummies in HR screen for me.

2c3b594b-ebf2-4fc9-89dd-b065ee0e890f.jpg

Reactions: GoNolesTX
I only get HR involved on a minimal basis. As for cover letters, they are dumb. I only do them if a position I'm applying for specifically calls for them.
Interesting.
I think you can tell a lot about someone by how well they write, as well as the tone of their letter. I find it helps me distinguish between dozens of individuals with very similar CVs. In many cases I toss them out based on the cover letter itself.

Interesting.
I think you can tell a lot about someone by how well they write, as well as the tone of their letter. I find it helps me distinguish between dozens of individuals with very similar CVs. In many cases I toss them out based on the cover letter itself.
I operate in a business that is largely based on dealing with people and building relationships. The writing means very little to me. I prefer to learn about my candidates via word of mouth, bring them in and talk to them. If you can't talk to me in an interview, you won't be able to work in my industry.

Anyone that does not include a cover letter is demonstrating that they are stupid, lazy, or both. Your cover letter is your chance to make a first impression, to stand out from the 400 dolts who were to lazy to create one, and most importantly, the first/best chance for you to tell the hiring manager why YOU are good for THAT position. That is why they list job duties and areas of responsibilities when they advertise - anyone with half a brain should b able to pick out a few of the key functions and profess their deep and undying love for that activity, as evidenced by their career-long focus on it.

Your resume discusses you - the cover letter discusses the happy marriage between you and the vacant position.

If you want to discuss something rare, count up the thank you emails you get after interviewing candidates.

I operate in a business that is largely based on dealing with people and building relationships. The writing means very little to me. I prefer to learn about my candidates via word of mouth, bring them in and talk to them. If you can't talk to me in an interview, you won't be able to work in my industry.

Well, my industry requires one to both talk and write.

:)

Reactions: NDallasRuss
The thing I don't get, is asking me for a resume after a 1on1 meeting.

Yeah, that is backwards - if I am interviewing someone that got in due to a personal contact, I still want the resume beforehand so I know what to talk about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT