ADVERTISEMENT

Credit Card Fraud

Gonolz

Veteran Seminole Insider
Aug 6, 2002
Indian Rocks Beach
Here we go again ... it has been a couple years since I last had to cancel an account and get a new card issue. This time there were two charges, exactly $67.10 each to USPS.com Click-n-Ship. The phone number for USPS seems legit. The only time I have dealt with the USPS with a credit card has been two stop mails required a verification of ID via a $1 charge on my card. One was last month and one in July.

I hate freaking thieves. :mad:

Maybe after you get credit card bank to refund, you can see where they shipped their items or the address they used. A purchase online seems odd because you have to use your billing address typically.

Just got dinged for a little more than $1,000 at a clothing consignment shop of all places. Chase was quick to address and remedy. Apparently the CC number was manually entered at the store, so this was likely a cashier and customer working hand-in-hand. Infuriating.

A few weeks ago I get a call asking if I'm in London? My card # was being used at their version of "Bed Bath and Beyond"

I get texts from all my cards when they are used. AMEX is quick, takes about 3 seconds to receive the text. I once was at my desk when a text from AMEX came through at a gas station. When I called the fraud department, I told them if they sent the Popo to the gas station, they could catch the thieves. I got a new card in 24 hours and I doubt they even tried to catch them.

Maybe after you get credit card bank to refund, you can see where they shipped their items or the address they used. A purchase online seems odd because you have to use your billing address typically.

Yep, it is odd. I guess someone could have set up a phony ClickNShip account and then just used my card to ship something elsewhere. It seems like using the card would at least require my billing info be on the account. I might give it a try to track it down, but USPS probably won't release the info to me because I don't have the info on the phony account.

Update:

My bank reversed the charges and cancelled my card, so I didn't think much about it until yesterday when I received a return to sender USPS mail package sent via Click N Ship listing my name and address as sender. It stated that it was sent to an invalid address. In it was a check to someone for $1,998 and a letter. The check listed a valid credit union name. I called the credit union and confirmed it was a fraudulent check. The letter instructed the recipient to deposit the check, keep $345 and buy $1,650 worth of iTunes cards (bad math) in $50 and $100 denominations at certain locations (Walmart, etc.). Then the info on the iTunes card was to be sent to an email address along with pictures of the receipts. Supposedly, the "assignment" was to evaluate the cashiers.

Concerned about my credit card being used to pay for fraudulent scam mailings being sent from a Click N Ship account in my name, listing my name and address as sender, I called the USPS to make sure the account was shut down. There are a lot of jokes about the incompetence of the USPS, but the response really surprised me. I explained the situation. The agent said I could go online and file a report, but there was nothing they could do if I don't know the information about the account under which it was sent. She checked and there was no account listed under my name, address or email account.

Apparently, anyone can steal your credit card info, open a Click N Ship account under a phony email address, list your name and address as sender, use your credit card to pay for the account and there is no way for the USPS to find the account. I told the agent I had a tracking number from the package to find the account. "oh, we can't trace a tracking number to an account". I asked if they could trace it by sender name ... nope. I asked if they could find it by using my credit card number that was used to make payment ... nope. :mad:

Then she helpfully pointed out this was identity theft and that I could cancel my credit card and inform the credit bureaus. Ummm, gee, thanks.

That must be what happened to me, $500 at TattleTales in ATL.......
th

It was most likely players from that college football team a little ways down the road to the South.

Reactions: billanole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT