ADVERTISEMENT

Dalvin Cook

That crappy TE is exactly the type of weapon Winston needs. Yes Cook would have been great but that crappy TE is also a special type player who is a matchup nightmare with any defense in the league

That crappy TE is exactly the type of weapon Winston needs. Yes Cook would have been great but that crappy TE is also a special type player who is a matchup nightmare with any defense in the league

Hasn't really done shit in the pre season or 1st game. Waiting for him to break out any drive now. Sure he will

To be fair, Brate is more than solid, but once Howard gets acclimated to a real pro style offense, he’s going to be a matchup nightmare. Whereas Brate is a very good all around TE, Howard is bigger stronger and WAY faster. If he develops chemistry with Winston, the sky is the limit.

That being said, I wish they had found a way to draft DC.

Reactions: bpicolo and red2000
He got screwed in the draft. He looks like the same player in the NFL that he was in college.

The only thing I noticed, so far, is that I expected him to house a couple of those runs and he was run down by a lber. I expect him to fix that as he becomes more comfortable and decisive with cuts.

Reactions: Archetype
I agree with all of you. As a Bucs fan I wanted Dalvin FIRST. But Im not going to call OJ Howard crappy, he's going to be very special. And just because he has not made s big splash play does not mean he hasn't done anything. He's a great run blocker and he forces the defense to account for him because of his speed

That crappy TE also had 1 catch for 17 yards Saturday. Hardly a matchup nightmare.

Reactions: fsubey2
I agree with all of you. As a Bucs fan I wanted Dalvin FIRST. But Im not going to call OJ Howard crappy, he's going to be very special. And just because he has not made s big splash play does not mean he hasn't done anything. He's a great run blocker and he forces the defense to account for him because of his speed
Guess the Bucs wanted a great run blocker over a top 3 RB for the next 5-8 years. Passing on Cook will end up as bad as drafting Aguayo in the 2nd round.

As a Buc fan I really wish Cook would've been drafted by the Bucs.With Doug Martin's situation Cook would've had a big impact.OJ Howard has a chance to be a special TE .Damn shame Bucs couldn't have gotten both.

The man is going to catch a lot of balls in the NFL. The Bucs did just fine. I love Dalvin, but there are going to be 12 Super Bowls won the next 12 years and very likely, Dalvin won't be on any of those teams. There's a lot of talent out there.

The man is going to catch a lot of balls in the NFL. The Bucs did just fine. I love Dalvin, but there are going to be 12 Super Bowls won the next 12 years and very likely, Dalvin won't be on any of those teams. There's a lot of talent out there.
One of the Bucs biggest needs in the off season was picking up a decent running back - and they passed up on a player(Cook) that can immediately help you on 3 downs to take a TE that probably will take a couple years to develop when you already have one of the highest production TE's in the league on your roster. Some Bucs fans are still in this mode of thought that Jason Light can't miss as a GM. Truth is, he whiffed on this draft. Not having a quality running back on their roster will hurt them down the stretch.

They said they are using him to block. Cameron Brate is the #1 TE in Tampa Bay now. Who is a bigger match up nightmare Cook or Howard? Cook would have had Jamesis throwing into single coverage all day long. Not a Tampa Bay fan but that was not the smartest pick to me.

I personally thing Dalvin would have been the better pick, but that doesn't make OJ a bad pick. You can't just write a rookie off as a crappy TE after two career games. RB had always been a position easiest for rookies to make immediate impacts.

With that said Bucs still should have taken Dalvin because Jameis/Dalvin would have been unstoppable.

Reactions: POWER$
It's not just the Bucs that missed on Cook, it's others. Cook should have gone in the first round and is already showing that. The guy is a stud.

One of the Bucs biggest needs in the off season was picking up a decent running back - and they passed up on a player(Cook) that can immediately help you on 3 downs to take a TE that probably will take a couple years to develop when you already have one of the highest production TE's in the league on your roster. Some Bucs fans are still in this mode of thought that Jason Light can't miss as a GM. Truth is, he whiffed on this draft. Not having a quality running back on their roster will hurt them down the stretch.

Possibly. They believe Doug Martin is that back. It doesn't appear they are going to regret for a minute having
Howard and Beckwith on the roster. They both are explosive players with a future. Calling the draft a whiff is hyperbole.

They said they are using him to block. Cameron Brate is the #1 TE in Tampa Bay now. Who is a bigger match up nightmare Cook or Howard? Cook would have had Jamesis throwing into single coverage all day long. Not a Tampa Bay fan but that was not the smartest pick to me.
They’re using him to block until he gets the offense down. He was vastly underutilized at Bama and is having to learn a lot of nuances about route running and understanding coverages. Once he gets that down, look out. He is 20lbs heavier and ran faster than Evans at the combine. 6’6 250lbs running a 4.51 is scary.

They’re using him to block until he gets the offense down. He was vastly underutilized at Bama and is having to learn a lot of nuances about route running and understanding coverages. Once he gets that down, look out. He is 20lbs heavier and ran faster than Evans at the combine. 6’6 250lbs running a 4.51 is scary.
AND one catch. Not to mention the Bucs RBs averaged 3.4 yards per carry. So not many holes opening up there thanks to this TE. But hopefully you are right and he does develop into a good TE. I just don't understand why the Bucs drafted a TE that needs a few years to learn how to be a catching TE when they had other needs this year.

The only thing I noticed, so far, is that I expected him to house a couple of those runs and he was run down by a lber. I expect him to fix that as he becomes more comfortable and decisive with cuts.

It will take him a few games to get used to the speed and talent difference. Is still doing a lot of Dalvin things. But the holes close up a lot quicker. In the preseason he had a sweep that went for about 6 yards. It was blocked pretty well. I replayed it for my wife. I said in college this is a TD for cook. But the difference in speed is amazing.

Backers are just faster now. He isn't going to be breaking long runs consistently like he did in College

Reactions: Wizzle_23
To be fair, Brate is more than solid, but once Howard gets acclimated to a real pro style offense, he’s going to be a matchup nightmare. Whereas Brate is a very good all around TE, Howard is bigger stronger and WAY faster. If he develops chemistry with Winston, the sky is the limit.

That being said, I wish they had found a way to draft DC.

I think you're going to be very happy with OJ in the years ahead. I just hope he starts catching on now because I need him to get some fantasy points for me. :D

Not at all where that play was supposed to go. His vision has always been his best asset. Not sure any other RB in the league sees that.

I think is show his greatest strengths on setting guys up. He embarrassed the 2nd to last man with his agility. When you embarrass a Steelers LB then you're going to be a star in this league.

Reactions: NebNoles
I think is show his greatest strengths on setting guys up. He embarrassed the 2nd to last man with his agility. When you embarrass a Steelers LB then you're going to be a star in this league.

I always compare his set up abilities to Scottie Pippen. Weird comparison, but Scottie was at his best bringing the ball upcourt, making defenders think they had angles, & then he'd blow by them baseline for a dunk. Dalvin does the same thing - sets guys up. He was at his best against Clemson last year, in my opinion.

I always compare his set up abilities to Scottie Pippen. Weird comparison, but Scottie was at his best bringing the ball upcourt, making defenders think they had angles, & then he'd blow by them baseline for a dunk. Dalvin does the same thing - sets guys up. He was at his best against Clemson last year, in my opinion.

He reminds me the most of Jamaal Charles if the way he uses his shiftiness with acceleration. I could see him used like Brian Westbrook was used for the eagles, now if he really develops WR route running and hands then he could be a Marshall Faulk clone. The main thing for Dalvin is learning how to be shifty up the middle because that'll extend his career.

Reactions: NebNoles
I'll reserve Opinion on OJ after he plays a season in a passing offense with a real QB.

I still can't MF believe the Bucs didnt take Cook. Still pissed about that. I hope Howard works out but dammit man! Cooks is already blowing up. Can you imagine how much better Tamp would be with him?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT