ADVERTISEMENT

Desantis says distance learning through the semester.

SemiNo.1e

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2003
FSU is shut down. The physical FSU. Online learning will continue. This is true for all Florida universities. I’m sure Commencement will be eliminated too.

FSU is shut down. The physical FSU. Online learning will continue. This is true for all Florida universities. I’m sure Commencement will be eliminated too.
Very disappointed for my daughter. Not in the decision, just in the fact that she won't be walking on May 1st! She is understanding and taking it well, but it is one of those things you can't get back.

I can remember when a majority of grads didn't "walk" but just opted to get our diplomas by mail. I can understand her disappointment, but please giver her our congrats and reassure her it won't affect her career!
She understands and realizes the societal challenges we are going through are much more important. The good news is that she is going to grad school at FSU and should have the opportunity to walk in the future.

In case you hadn’t heard, Commencement is indeed canceled.

I feel for your daughter. My brother is getting his Master’s Degree in May and won’t get to walk. He skipped his undergrad walk too. He always said “my master’s is what I’m working up to.”

Crazy time.

Reactions: goldmom and Timnole
I feel for your daughter. My brother is getting his Master’s Degree in May and won’t get to walk. He skipped his undergrad walk too. He always said “my master’s is what I’m working up to.”

Crazy time.
That sucks for your brother!

Reactions: Bml07
My daughter is a First Year Abroad student, and was studying in Valencia, Spain. We were able to get her home on Sunday. There were a lot of FSU students in the program, London, Florence, Valencia, and Panama City. For the program, the students are supposed to finish a Summer semester as well. So far, there has not been a decision regarding those plans.

For those that are graduating in May, good luck.

Reactions: Timnole and goldmom
I also have a son graduating in May. It has been a dream of mine since the day he was born to see him walk that stage! Tough times. I am sure most of you feel the same way, but it nice having a place to vent to people that feel the same way I do.

Very disappointed for my daughter. Not in the decision, just in the fact that she won't be walking on May 1st! She is understanding and taking it well, but it is one of those things you can't get back.
Ours too, sucks but necessary at the moment. Maybe they can walk later in the summer or something, if this passes.

Reactions: Timnole and Bml07
Summer going to be all online as well... The main thing is, many colleges are going to have brick and mortar classrooms that are going to be outdated now. Why will anyone go into a classroom when they can just as easily take the course online. Ya ya.. online classes have been out for awhile, but this is going to force people to do it, and they are going to not go back.

Should give everyone a 4.0 and just move on for this semester.

Reactions: WLaw
I can remember when a majority of grads didn't "walk" but just opted to get our diplomas by mail. I can understand her disappointment, but please giver her our congrats and reassure her it won't affect her career!

My daughter is graduating with a PhD from another university. She’s more interested in her clinical not being cancelled. Of everyone in the family, she was the only one to go to commencement when she got her undergraduate. The whole thing was way more hassle than it was worth.

Reactions: WLaw

I graduated in 2008 and graduating in recessions absolutely sucks. I feel bad for them.

My son graduates from another university with an accounting degree and will also not walk. He’s more concerned about his internship in Denver this summer and whether it will get postponed. The silver lining is he goes back to school in the fall for a year to complete his masters so will be able to walk then.

Commencements are excruciatingly boring anyway. Except for the 15 seconds when your loved one’s name is called and you unsuccessfully try to get it on your camera phone.

Reactions: daveynole
My son graduates from another university with an accounting degree and will also not walk. He’s more concerned about his internship in Denver this summer and whether it will get postponed. The silver lining is he goes back to school in the fall for a year to complete his masters so will be able to walk then.
PM me

My daughter had to come home from NYU Paris Tuesday when they closed the dorms. A lot of them had refused to leave when the school said live classes cancelled but dorms open, but NYU reconsidered after they saw how many 20 somethings refused to leave Paris for boring home. She's back under quarantine but taking remote classes.

Son is a HS senior, his spring sports season shutdown, Graduation ceremony probably nixed. He has to make college choice soon, we were going to hit Spring game to seal the deal for FSU, now cancelled, no final school tours. He's got 8 choices while we wait on last 2 at end of this month. Tough to commit without a last look.

Wife and I both skipped undergrad ceremonies, but walked for law school. Much smaller group. The cattle call undergraduate ceremonies in an indoor stadium don't do much for me.

I haven't a clue when school ends. I was on the quarter system back in '73.
So...April then. Whatever.

I haven't a clue when school ends. I was on the quarter system back in '73.
So...April then. Whatever.
For April, it is a fair question. Don’t even know what the pro-rata amount is. Probably not a very big number, but I get it will get tight for everyone the longer this lasts.

For April, it is a fair question. Don’t even know what the pro-rata amount is. Probably not a very big number, but I get it will get tight for everyone the longer this lasts.

Food plan as well....at some point these kids will also need to move out of those dorms....bizarre times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT