ADVERTISEMENT

Discovered the most difficult job

Fijimn

Veteran Seminole Insider
May 7, 2008
...trying to get a 4 year old to take liquid medicine. My daughter has nephocalcinosis - which is the accumulation of calcium in the kidneys because they do not properly absorb calcium. Her doctor started her on potassium citrate. The pill is much too large, so its 5 ML. Tried to hide it in everything, and that little devil sniffs it out immediately.....

- sorry parent rant here.

Reactions: ericram and RTM58
...trying to get a 4 year old to take liquid medicine. My daughter has nephocalcinosis - which is the accumulation of calcium in the kidneys because they do not properly absorb calcium. Her doctor started her on potassium citrate. The pill is much too large, so its 5 ML. Tried to hide it in everything, and that little devil sniffs it out immediately.....

I hear you. My 4 year old son has been coughing so I tried to get him to take some cough syrup last night. I put less than 10ml in the cup. I finally got him to taste it and he said it tasted good then continued to pitch a fit. I gave up and let my wife try. This morning the cup is still sitting on the counter with just less than 10ml in it.

I'd expand it to any medicine, really. We used to always have a problem getting the kid to take pills. It was like she completely forgot how to swallow (no jokes, we're talking about kids, ya freaks!) and the pill would stay in her mouth and dissolve - which, of course, tasted terrible. We would have the biggest fights over medicine.

Kids are the worst!!

Liquid version??

I had one kid who couldn't swallow pills and one that could without issue. But the one that could get the pill down would gag anytime he tried to take the liquid version. Any type of cough syrup would make him puke. I think it was in his head but who knows. Thankfully now that they are older I can just say "look, this is what's going to make you better so figure out a way to get it down".

She takes the diuretic like a champ, but that's just a little pill that we cut in half. I wish there was a small pill for this medicine. We are going to try to put it in milk and see if she can just chug it down. She is going to be on this stuff for the rest of her life, hopefully it gets easier as she gets older.

I’ve found the easiest way to administer liquid meds is to use one of those syringe type things. Fill it up, inside of their cheek almost to back of their throat, shoot it in, and they don’t really taste it.

Or if they are more cooperative than my kids, teach them if they can’t smell it they can’t taste it and to hold their nose.

Trying to hide it is a losing effort. My kid could smell it in a can of gasoline, no idea how they can tell.

Been there as well. It hit or miss with us. Some days he will take it without issue, other days it's a battle.

I've had to resort to head locks and force feeding on a few occasions.

Last edited:

Have you tried morphine/opiates to shut her up and down? It worked for parents in the 1800s and early 1900s!

69a49d6354d02fef83883fef6636597f--weird-vintage-ads-vintage-advertisements.jpg

LaudanumAdvert.jpg

Or maybe just some beer.

ff4fe6612fc0bbcf4932f3d66d5f9366--vintage-ephemera-vintage-ads.jpg

Then all you need is a little cocaine to pick them up in the morning.

c4095a143f2790bdf916d719ea99889e--old-ads.jpg

Reactions: NDallasRuss
My daughter is the same way with any medicine. We came up with a bribe to get her to take it when she's sick (which luckily isn't very often anymore). My wife buys random little items (stickers, magnets, toys, puzzles, candy, etc.) and we have a bag of surprises. If she take the medicine, she gets to pick something out of the bag. It works pretty well.

I opened this thread thinking it might be about the guy who holds Charles Kelly back on the sideline.

I guess I got lucky. My kid loves medicine of any sort no matter how bad.

However, stick something in front of him that grew from the ground and he will act as if we are attempting murder.

I opened this thread thinking it might be about the guy who holds Charles Kelly back on the sideline.
IMO that's the dumbest job on earth.

A grown freakin' man who's just sooooo intense he can't even be bothered to know where he is on the field? Give me a friggin' break. I hate that so much about him. Enormous tool.

My kids don't mind meds, but really all they have to take is liquid for allergies.

Good luck, you cant reason with them. My kids already know I don't negotiate with miniature terrorists.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT