ADVERTISEMENT

Discovering a new neighbor is a convicted child molester, would you tell your neighbors?

Funk#49

Starter
Nov 25, 2008
Particularly those neighbors that have small children? We had an older couple from Texas move in two doors down from us back in December of '17. I've never met her but he's a really nice, grandfatherly type guy, or at least I thought. He's 82. He is registered and compliant with the state of KY and is not supervised. His victim was a 6 year old girl. My concern if I pass this info along is that this guy would be harrassed by the neighbors that have children. But if something were to happen and I hadn't passed on any information..................

We live on a quiet cul-de-sac and it's a mixture of privately owned and company owned properties. Probably 70-30 spilt in favor of privately owned. There are a few high school age kids but most of the people are in their thirties and forties and up and most don't have kids at all. There is one house though that has four kids, all under the age of 10 years old, three of them girls. I don't know this family other than saying hello to them as they pass by. The kids are always outside playing and the convicted molester is very active and outside all the time as well. They're about 10 homes apart from one another.

I just found this out today. As of now I don't know when he was arrested and convicted as I've only accessed KY records and not Texas. KY doesn't list it.

Particularly those neighbors that have small children? We had an older couple from Texas move in two doors down from us back in December of '17. I've never met her but he's a really nice, grandfatherly type guy, or at least I thought. He's 82. He is registered and compliant with the state of KY and is not supervised. His victim was a 6 year old girl. My concern if I pass this info along is that this guy would be harrassed by the neighbors that have children. But if something were to happen and I hadn't passed on any information..................

We live on a quiet cul-de-sac and it's a mixture of privately owned and company owned properties. Probably 70-30 spilt in favor of privately owned. There are a few high school age kids but most of the people are in their thirties and forties and up and most don't have kids at all. There is one house though that has four kids, all under the age of 10 years old, three of them girls. I don't know this family other than saying hello to them as they pass by. The kids are always outside playing and the convicted molester is very active and outside all the time as well. They're about 10 homes apart from one another.

I just found this out today. As of now I don't know when he was arrested and convicted as I've only accessed KY records and not Texas. KY doesn't list it.
Yes definitely you should tell the parents

Ugh, that is a tough situation.

Do you know for sure - for sure- that he’s the same guy? Hate to be wrong about something like that.

Ugh, that is a tough situation.

Do you know for sure - for sure- that he’s the same guy? Hate to be wrong about something like that.

Yes. It is the same person. They have his name listed and picture on the Ky State Police site when he registered with them after arriving in KY. His current address is also listed and it's the house two doors down, same street. Lastly, the day they moved in, he came over to our house and borrowed several tools to put his furniture together (beds,dresser mirror, etc). I also shoveled his driveway earlier this year several times when it snowed heavily so he wouldn't have to get out in that weather. I still can't believe this guy is a registered child molester.

I agree, 100% rat that “nice” old pedo out. I have no sympathy for people like that. I maybe wouldn’t quite call for a public stoning like you see in a lot of the African viral videos but I wouldn’t exactly raise much of a fuss if someone else did.

Either tell them outright or tell them you feel they should really check the sex offenders website. They need to know.

tenor.gif

Either tell them outright or tell them you feel they should really check the sex offenders website. They need to know.

That feels like a slimey cop out. If someone didn't want to be known as "the one who told" then print out the registration page and leave it in their mail box.

To the OP, yes, I would absolutely tell the ones with kids and the ones who have grandkids who visit. I would have thought that he would have had to introduce himself when he moved in. I almost want to feel bad for someone who is on the registry list, then I remember why they (the vast majority) are on the list and the compassion goes away.

Last edited:
Yes. It is the same person. They have his name listed and picture on the Ky State Police site when he registered with them after arriving in KY. His current address is also listed and it's the house two doors down, same street. Lastly, the day they moved in, he came over to our house and borrowed several tools to put his furniture together (beds,dresser mirror, etc). I also shoveled his driveway earlier this year several times when it snowed heavily so he wouldn't have to get out in that weather. I still can't believe this guy is a registered child molester.

Do you know any kind of details? As in how long ago it was? I think it is kind of a tough situation. On the one hand, child molestation is certainly one of the worst crimes someone can commit, and there is obviously something psychological going on that would lead someone to do something like that. On the other hand, I also believe if he was punished and has worked to be better and not do it again, then its possibly opening up a can of worms with someone who really isnt any kind of threat. So if it were recent, in the last 10-20 years, I might say something. If you are going back several decades ago, and he hasnt done anything since, then I honestly dont know what I would do.

Do you know any kind of details? As in how long ago it was? I think it is kind of a tough situation. On the one hand, child molestation is certainly one of the worst crimes someone can commit, and there is obviously something psychological going on that would lead someone to do something like that. On the other hand, I also believe if he was punished and has worked to be better and not do it again, then its possibly opening up a can of worms with someone who really isnt any kind of threat. So if it were recent, in the last 10-20 years, I might say something. If you are going back several decades ago, and he hasnt done anything since, then I honestly dont know what I would do.

Pray tell, what is worse?

Also, I believe in recidivism (whether active or passive) in 100% of pedophiles.

Reactions: nynole1
Over 26 years working in corrections. Co-mo’s are the worst. I dealt with one lady that was trying to have her husband bring their son (victim) in to visit her. She was serving 600 months.

Reactions: squiffynole
Pray tell, what is worse?

Also, I believe in recidivism (whether active or passive) in 100% of pedophiles.

Well, I mean murder is pretty bad, but that obviously wasnt really my point, obviously lots of crimes can be bad.

And I dont know what you mean by passive recidivism. As in, he is still attracted to kids but doesnt act on it?

Tend to agree w/ @Cubs79 in wanting to know more about the circumstances and when he was convicted.

I might even suggest being an adult about it and going to talk w/ the old man first, before deciding he needs to be put on blast to all his neighbors.

So if it were recent, in the last 10-20 years, I might say something. If you are going back several decades ago, and he hasnt done anything since, then I honestly dont know what I would do.

Several decades ago is recent enough for me. These scumags aren't relapsing on booze or drugs, when they relapse, a child loses their right to have a chance in life.

So I say, torch his house, better be safe than sorry.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
I would ask him about it first. I have a patient whose grand daughter accused him of touching her. He was a LEO for 30+ years and lost everything: his job, his wife and his retirement. She said it happened when she was 6 years old. Turns out, she was lying. But he still has register as a sex offender until HE PAYS to get it cleared.

98% of the time, the guys are scum bags. For all you know, it was his ex-daughter in laws child that she coaxed into fabricating some crazy lie. I would be careful before blabbing to the community.

Reactions: KitingHigh
One of my best friends friends in law is a child molester. He got caught at age 22 sodomizing (among other things) girls as young as 12 by taking jobs giving him access like camp counselor, ice cream truck driver, etc. Straight out of a horror movie stuff. He did 10 years for hundreds of counts, got out, and was "working to be better" for 3 years, until he made contact with an undercover cop online. When they raided the house, they confiscated a sibling's computer and discovered he had been making contact with minors from the SECOND DAY he was out of prison.
The only way to deal with these situations is to put them down like the animals they are.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT