ADVERTISEMENT

Do you know anyone who is racist?

DanC78

Veteran Seminole Insider
Aug 29, 2003
Bumped into an old acquaintance of mine that I’ve known for 10 or so years. Wouldn’t call him a friend, but I know him well enough that we are Facebook friends and will stop and talk when we see each other etc.

I saw him this past week for the first time in probably 5 or so years. We shared a couple beers amongst a group of us and caught up.

He is a big time FSU fan, has season tickets and takes the family to every game etc. I asked about our new coach, and boy did he go off about the school hiring a black guy (and he didn’t use that word). He then proceeded to tell a couple jokes.

I was shocked and of course disgusted. The group I was out with that day when we saw him was too, we couldn’t believe it.

I would have never thought before that day there were people in my circles who thought that way, still in disbelief.

Any how...anyone else come across ass hats like this?

Bumped into an old acquaintance of mine that I’ve known for 10 or so years. Wouldn’t call him a friend, but I know him well enough that we are Facebook friends and will stop and talk when we see each other etc.

I saw him this past week for the first time in probably 5 or so years. We shared a couple beers amongst a group of us and caught up.

He is a big time FSU fan, has season tickets and takes the family to every game etc. I asked about our new coach, and boy did he go off about the school hiring a black guy (and he didn’t use that word). He then proceeded to tell a couple jokes.

I was shocked and of course disgusted. The group I was out with that day when we saw him was too, we couldn’t believe it.

I would have never thought before that day there were people in my circles who thought that way, still in disbelief.

I am sure I do but they are likely acquaintances. Will call people out for that crap, so through attrition I likely don't ever see them anymore. Now my team has black guys, latin guys and your standard white guys and if you heard how we talked to each other and gave each other crap pretty sure almost everyone would be shocked. Safe to say I could never run for office as taken out of context and without my guys coming forward some of our text streams would be brutal. The only thing off limits are wife's and kids and even that line can get blurry.

Reactions: F4Gary
Yes. I have older(60-80 years old) relatives that are definitely racist at least by their voiced opinions but there actions are complete opposite of what they say. They don’t hesitate use N bombs or just think different races are inferior to whites.

However they literally saved at least 30 black children by finding them on the streets and providing food, shelter for them until they reached 18. 10 of them they helped obtain college degree and 6 of the 10 they helped get master degrees. Another child had multiple holes in his heart and they got him the medical care for him to survive.

It’s so ironic to hear them speak but then see their actions.

Reactions: Lurker1999

I would suggest that this person is not a very good or true FSU fan. From everything I have read, Willie Taggart is a stand-up individual and the complete opposite of the bullheaded pompous ass that thought he and his route trees were bigger than the program....not to name names.

If you don’t think you know racists, you’re either absolutely blind, in denial, or racist yourself.

The better question is: what do you do when you find yourself in that situation? Do you laugh at the joke in the interest of avoiding a confrontation? Do you make your discomfort clear and scold them? Reactions vary, and some are no better than making the joke is.

Umm, I live in the south. I know lots of people who are racist. Many of them are overt about it, some are but won't admit it, and the rest (including myself at times) are just unaware and either willingly blind to the fact or surprised when they learn.

I've learned that I was raised in racism. I grew up in small town America. It was all around me, even from those who were the "Holy" leaders of the church. We weren't in the Klan, but many were right there agreeing with much of it, but still realizing they were pretty extreme.

Today we have this idea that Racism equals the Klan, burning crosses, creating white only places, and so we think as long as we aren't calling people the N-word, aren't advocating for separate spaces, or actively being hostile towards people of color that we must be good and post-racial. Unfortunately that's simply not the case. It's much more subversive than that, and imo, if we're not actively working to root out our own internal racism and then work to be actively anti-racist, that at best we're simply allowing it to continue which MLK often said was worse than the active klan.

The better question is: what do you do when you find yourself in that situation? Do you laugh at the joke in the interest of avoiding a confrontation? Do you make your discomfort clear and scold them? Reactions vary, and some are no better than making the joke is.

We (my wife was with) sat in silence. I don’t know him near well enough to have said anything. His wife was there and I could tell she was embarrassed and she saw that we didn’t find funny, she didnt crack a smile either.

If I knew him well enough I would have said something.

I got in a fist fight with a guy a few years back for saying racist comments to the hibachi chef and then a half racist comment to my wife (she is half Filipino). It was right in the middle of the restaurant. Cops came and everything. They were nice enough to let us go, restaurant owner didn’t want to have anything to do with it either.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
We (my wife was with) sat in silence. I don’t know him near well enough to have said anything. His wife was there and I could tell she was embarrassed and she saw that we didn’t find funny, she didnt crack a smile either.

If I knew him well enough I would have said something.

I got in a fist fight with a guy a few years back for saying racist comments to the hibachi chef and then a half racist comment to my wife (she is half Filipino). It was right in the middle of the restaurant. Cops came and everything. They were nice enough to let us go, restaurant owner didn’t want to have anything to do with it either.

Saying something is always hard because it can escalate into violence. I have always found saying something like "cmon man that isn't cool or you know your better than that"; if someone says something even in a calm manner others usually get involved as well. I do know going all crazy and throwing around accusations will likely escalate. Now saying something to the wife, kids, or close friend changes the dynamic and is dealt with differently.

Today we have this idea that Racism equals the Klan, burning crosses, creating white only places, and so we think as long as we aren't calling people the N-word, aren't advocating for separate spaces

I find the agitation for ‘separate spaces’ popular on both fringes.
Sylvester McMonkey McBean is trying to figure out how best to monetize it.

Was alcohol involved?

As a white guy, I feel I have to say something when I hear it, at least enough so that the person knows there are consequences and especially if there are minorities there so they don't feel like they either have to sit and take abuse or be the ones to always deal with it. I'm not about to start a fight over it, but a note that I don't appreciate those types of comments and that they are crass and unwelcome in some form or fashion is the least I would do.

The problem I have is the ass that tells the joke—- I’m always lost what to do right afterwards. So damn uncomfortable. It’s almost like they expect you to laugh. I hate the feeling.

Another example is my FIL, who i love and is an all around good person (and does not ever say anything derogatory towards blacks or anyone else.) But he is southern and a few months ago says he saw some people with a confederate flag and said he has nothing against it. I just sit there like an idiot and don’t say anything.

And of course I know racists—- I live in the south. It’s against my religious beliefs and as a human to treat anyone differently because of the color of skin.

If thinking the human race is foolish oftentimes makes one racist, then I'm one.

References to "of course I live in the South" I've lived all over and I take issue with an assumption like that.

Agreed. While there are individual racists everywhere, races in the South seem to live intermixed in cities for the most part while larger cities up north tend to be balkanized by ethnicity.

I think the person that truly doesn't see race is very rare. I believe most of us have racial biases, whether they impact our outward behavior or not.

I think there is a strong tribal component evolved in our very being.
That tribalism finds outlet in sports, hobbies, fandom, and certainly in obvious physical characteristics and expressed culture.

Think for a moment how people talk about UF or UM fans, and replace it with an ethnic group.

Us and Them seems like something everyone wants to embrace and express, but some outlets are more acceptable than others.

Reactions: hatsbo and QuaZ2002

1311909.gif

Everyone is a bit racist... some very little, some with loads to spare.

When I find someone who is too racist for me to tolerate, I avoid them.

I'm too old, too uninterested, and often too unconvincing to try and change anyone's mind. It rarely work even for the most steadfast attempts.

Reactions: Bud Fox and F4Gary
Yeah, I wouldn’t limit it to the South. You can find racism around the world. Europe is just as bad (or worse) as the US can be.

So much of it is what we teach our kids and the behaviors we ourselves exhibit. I really believe time will fix most of the problem, with a few unfortunate interruptions here and there.

Reactions: RangerNole
I really, really don't like this thread. Why?
Several reasons.
No ages of the posters. That's important as it relates to the theme.
References to "of course I live in the South" I've lived all over and I take issue with an assumption like that.

Peace out. Y'all enjoy yourselves.
Very much agree on the inaccuracy of racism being more prevalent in the south. I think that's assumed because of history of the region. But you'll find widespread bigotry north of the Mason Dixon line as well. Talk to my retired steelworker from Pittsburgh FIL or any of his friends and that will be confirmed.

Oh, 57 years old.

What makes the white guys standard?
Oh crap maybe I am racists against my own kind. I don't now I equate it to a guy just like me, played sports, grew up lower to upper middle class depending on the time frame. Just a normal white dude. I am 52 for the record.

Reactions: Squirrel J.
Yeah, I wouldn’t limit it to the South. You can find racism around the world. Europe is just as bad (or worse) as the US can be.

So much of it is what we teach our kids and the behaviors we ourselves exhibit. I really believe time will fix most of the problem, with a few unfortunate interruptions here and there.
Yep I have been in a bunch of big cities that have a single ethnic group and if you aren't part of that group you might want to go somewhere else. I lived in the north end of Boston for a little while and being a blond dude from the south I got a lot of looks that weren't so friendly. Now I don't know if it was bias, racists or what but I didn't feel very welcome there.

Yes. I have older(60-80 years old) relatives that are definitely racist at least by their voiced opinions but there actions are complete opposite of what they say. They don’t hesitate use N bombs or just think different races are inferior to whites.

However they literally saved at least 30 black children by finding them on the streets and providing food, shelter for them until they reached 18. 10 of them they helped obtain college degree and 6 of the 10 they helped get master degrees. Another child had multiple holes in his heart and they got him the medical care for him to survive.

It’s so ironic to hear them speak but then see their actions.

Is that ironic, though? Maybe they truly feel whites are superior (through their own anecdotal experiences) in some fashion (whether it be privilege, chance, or whatever in their minds), and rather than revel in that, they truly want to help the "inferior" people raise up to the "superior" level?

(did I just get this locked?)

Plenty. We have lots of people from Ohio here in Tampa Bay, and most that I know have made racist comments from time to time. Not outrageous use of the N word, but telling racist jokes and comments about who is committing crimes and such. Also my inlaws from New York, but to a lesser degree, and to a lesser degree my own mother. She's come a long way. My first friend was black and my parents weren't thrilled about it. My inlaws aren't thrilled that we live in a predominantly black neighborhood.

ADVERTISEMENT