ADVERTISEMENT

Don't be the guy who whines about fouls in pickup basketball

SeaPA

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Dec 17, 2002
and REALLY don't be the guy who calls the cops because you got fouled:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...e-incident-report_us_5b4e342ee4b0de86f4877b23

You can check out the incident report from the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office at the bottom of the page, though Twitter user @_togs has a pretty complete account. According to @_togs, the unidentified dude, after getting floored, announced that he was going to call the police. Everybody thought he was joking, until he actually did

How pissed would you be if you were playing in that game & later lost a day at work to testify at the trial.:rolleyes:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...e-incident-report_us_5b4e342ee4b0de86f4877b23

You can check out the incident report from the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office at the bottom of the page, though Twitter user @_togs has a pretty complete account. According to @_togs, the unidentified dude, after getting floored, announced that he was going to call the police. Everybody thought he was joking, until he actually did

How pissed would you be if you were playing in that game & later lost a day at work to testify at the trial.:rolleyes:

How pissed would you be if you had to be a juror for this crap?

Dexter Jackson at Leach. Called a foul on every shot that didn't go in. I thought my buddy and him were going to come to blows.

This is what happens when you play basketball at L.A. Fitness. Cops probably get called if someone forgets to sanitize a machine when they are done.

Not at all. I'd more likely be the guy setting the pick.

That gym isn't far from me (far beying relative since I kinda live in the boonies). I was talking about it with coworkers that also live in the area. We all agreed that the guy who called the cops definitely has to find a new gym. It'd be way too embarrassing to go back after that.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
Who call's the fouls in your pick up games? I have not played in years and have just started playing again. I'm approaching my 50's playing against kids in their 20's. Back in the day when I played it was up to the defender to call the fouls. Nowadays apparently it has shifted to the offensive player that calls the foul.

I just chalk it up to another part of the wussification of America and the entitlement mentality of young 'uns these days.

tumblr_lw8t6mOvc61qa6rsvo1_500.jpg

Reactions: KitingHigh

I used to hate when the football players would show up to play at Leach for this very reason (I was replying to Fijimn on Dexter. Didn't quote for some reason)

Who call's the fouls in your pick up games? I have not played in years and have just started playing again. I'm approaching my 50's playing against kids in their 20's. Back in the day when I played it was up to the defender to call the fouls. Nowadays apparently it has shifted to the offensive player that calls the foul.

Hmm, maybe it depends on where you grew up; I'm 55, and wherever I've played the foul has been called by the guy who got fouled (typically the offensive player, every now & then the defender if the offensive player had a tendency to "hook" the defender on a drive & most of the guys playing knew of the tendency)

Hmm, maybe it depends on where you grew up; I'm 55, and wherever I've played the foul has been called by the guy who got fouled (typically the offensive player, every now & then the defender if the offensive player had a tendency to "hook" the defender on a drive & most of the guys playing knew of the tendency)
Yeah, not sure what bizarro world maddog69 played hoops in. Maybe he grew up in Durham, NC? I hear there's a lot of flopping to draw charging fouls on the playgrounds there.

Yeah, not sure what bizarro world maddog69 played hoops in. Maybe he grew up in Durham, NC? I hear there's a lot of flopping to draw charging fouls on the playgrounds there.
Could've been Rio de Janeiro, as well.

DifficultImpoliteGardensnake.gif

43, in Panama City we generally called our own fouls on the playground and gym. If you called a foul as an offensive player, you would get it, but you would also be in for a very hard time from that point on.

Generally, on the playground it was only outsiders and not regulars that would call fouls as an offensive player.

Reactions: MIKE_G
Played plenty of pickup basketball in my younger days and didn't see too many people trying to draw an offensive charge and maybe a couple times saw someone try to call it but they were laughed at or call was not taken seriously and no one accepted it as a valid call including the teammates of the person that called it. Usually they would be told c'mon man just play.

Reactions: MIKE_G
Played plenty of pickup basketball in my younger days and didn't see too many people trying to draw an offensive charge and maybe a couple times saw someone try to call it but they were laughed at or call was not taken seriously and no one accepted it as a valid call including the teammates of the person that called it. Usually they would be told c'mon man just play.

This what I was thinking: who tries to draw a charging foul in a pick-up game.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Coworker talked to a buddy who plays basketball there. He said that everyone is really surprised at what happened. He said that the guy who called the cops has been playing there for years, and has always been a good guy.

He also said that the guy was indeed shoving the other guy in the back all game, so the guy getting shoved had enough and set the hard pick.

I'm guessing he meant that the defensive player would "own up" to the foul as opposed to the offensive player initiating the call. But it was funnier to think of a bunch of playground warriors flopping and calling for the charge.

Biggest Loser:

1. Draws charging foul during pick-up game at local gym - guy; or
2. Hangs out softball fields with a two expensive softball bats in a backpack, looking to picked up on a team - guy.

Biggest Loser:

1. Draws charging foul during pick-up game at local gym - guy; or
2. Hangs out softball fields with a two expensive softball bats in a backpack, looking to picked up on a team - guy.
I say #1, easy. #2 guy just wants to play - I can't fault him for that.

I've got expensive bats from back when i was in Texas, and I'd love to play softball. Granted, I'm not hanging around the field looking to get picked up, but I certainly understand wanting to play.

Hmm now I am questioning if the guy requested to call the cops or was just reporting the issue to the front desk/employees to address the matter and instead of going in and handling it themselves they called the cops to report it.
I still think there was an element of "What do you want us to do?" and the guy saying that he wanted to make a report with the police.

43, in Panama City we generally called our own fouls on the playground and gym. If you called a foul as an offensive player, you would get it, but you would also be in for a very hard time from that point on.

Generally, on the playground it was only outsiders and not regulars that would call fouls as an offensive player.
Same where I grew up. But if a defender was an a-hole then the offensive player might have to call their own foul, but only if it was a borderline fight type of foul.

I remember one guy tried to call a kicked ball foul. Even worse that the "kick" was really just him dribbling onto a defender's foot. We knew the guy was the crybaby type but this was on another level. He was not granted the foul, his team lost on the next play, and the last thing I ever heard about him was that he got his ass whooped real bad a few months later for mouthing off at a pool hall.

I just chalk it up to another part of the wussification of America and the entitlement mentality of young 'uns these days.

tumblr_lw8t6mOvc61qa6rsvo1_500.jpg

Sounds like this is along the lines of walking to and from school uphill....

I’ve played b-ball for 30 years (in my 40’s) no defender would ever call foul unless the opponent fell to the ground and was bleeding. Then it was a charge

It wasn't quite like this back in the day, but sometimes it came pretty close.

And on a side note. Terry Crews is the best character in every Adam Sandler movie he appears in.

ADVERTISEMENT