ADVERTISEMENT

Edit- Allnoles is walking! Chair returned!

Not going in yet. But I have had stuff set up at home since I came home 1/12. Given injury and limits I’ve not taken new cases and stuff and won’t for another month or so. Having the world so remote ready due to CoVid was helpful.

Well, I got on the float yesterday. Was a production, but I got up in my seat.

Then the lightning hit. And the delay. And I had to get back off the float, which was even more a production.

Float never went. Parade canceled. But I was able to get out and around to parties the last three nights, much of the time with only walker. Course I way overdid that so last night and brunch today were chair only. And I’m resting up now.

I’m getting my life back a little at a time. It’s slow going and isn’t always fun but I hope one day I’ll just notice how much better that’s gotten.

Well, I got on the float yesterday. Was a production, but I got up in my seat.

Then the lightning hit. And the delay. And I had to get back off the float, which was even more a production.

Float never went. Parade canceled. But I was able to get out and around to parties the last three nights, much of the time with only walker. Course I way overdid that so last night and brunch today were chair only. And I’m resting up now.

I’m getting my life back a little at a time. It’s slow going and isn’t always fun but I hope one day I’ll just notice how much better that’s gotten.
Great news! Your progress how big or small you may feel it in the moment is big time considering what you were facing just weeks ago. Your courage in this situation I am certain has not only carried you through but I can promise you it has inspired others. Keep fighting the good fight. 💪❤️🙏

Reactions: AllNoles
Great news! Your progress how big or small you may feel it in the moment is big time considering what you were facing just weeks ago. Your courage in this situation I am certain has not only carried you through but I can promise you it has inspired others. Keep fighting the good fight. 💪❤️🙏
😂🤣

5/6/22 update, and likely last one

Meant to update on 5/3, which was five full months from accident. I have a long way to go, but I am getting there. It hurts to walk and it's limited. I have to stretch like crazy to get any movement going once I "stick" , which takes like 30 minutes. That is what we work on in PT all the time now - trying to get RoM back. Knee is a worse issue that I thought. While no structures got messed up, it's clear there is a ton of scar tissue and little cartilage so likely need that replaced in the next 3-5 years too.

Nerve damage is a TON better, but it is still an issue with right leg/foot. This also complicates knee because that nerve impacts the area so it's hard to tell at times if weakness is nerve, structural limits of knee, or what. I don't feel much of my big toe area. That impacts walking a lot, especially when you're learning to walk and have so many areas so weak.

Hips/pelvis (oh, I took the images from 12/3-8 to show my PT; over 2,000 images and he just kept saying "Oh my god, I know it was bad but .....") are weak but getting stronger every day. I have NO balance. I am opposite of a a Weeble. I don't wobble. I would just fall down. So we are very careful. I do pray every day the pain goes away. I love the independence, but never in my life thought I would have this much pain all day every day. It does seem to be getting better by tiny bits so I am hopeful.

Getting back to work in local office and over in PCB. That helps a lot.

Oh, had hearing on the lady's ticket a couple weeks ago. She was a mess. Showed up late. Looks awful. I felt for her. She admitted she had no idea what happened in accident (so now I don't have to worry about her trying to claim I did something) and she was found guilty. It's a SBI enhancement but I asked the judge to go as easy on her as he could. She is an older lady with nothing and I did not want her hurt. I got to talk to her and her grandson after. She cried and cried. She had no idea how bad I was hurt (I was there with walker still) and she felt awful. I asked her if she pulled out on purpose and she said NO. I then told her I knew that and while I wish we could go back and make it not happen, I know she did not mean it and I never was angry at her at all. I hugged her and told her to not let it get to her for another second and she cried and cried and then I left.

So, Allnoles is getting back to normal one day at a time. I so appreciate all the prayers and calls and DMs and texts. They meant a ton. I never felt unsupported for a day and it makes a difference in how you recover. I am working to get ready so we can start to travel and stuff. Looking to grab tickets for LSU but will play that by ear as the time approaches. Crowds and stairs are things I don't like right now.

Look forward to seeing folks next season!

5/6/22 update, and likely last one

Meant to update on 5/3, which was five full months from accident. I have a long way to go, but I am getting there. It hurts to walk and it's limited. I have to stretch like crazy to get any movement going once I "stick" , which takes like 30 minutes. That is what we work on in PT all the time now - trying to get RoM back. Knee is a worse issue that I thought. While no structures got messed up, it's clear there is a ton of scar tissue and little cartilage so likely need that replaced in the next 3-5 years too.

Nerve damage is a TON better, but it is still an issue with right leg/foot. This also complicates knee because that nerve impacts the area so it's hard to tell at times if weakness is nerve, structural limits of knee, or what. I don't feel much of my big toe area. That impacts walking a lot, especially when you're learning to walk and have so many areas so weak.

Hips/pelvis (oh, I took the images from 12/3-8 to show my PT; over 2,000 images and he just kept saying "Oh my god, I know it was bad but .....") are weak but getting stronger every day. I have NO balance. I am opposite of a a Weeble. I don't wobble. I would just fall down. So we are very careful. I do pray every day the pain goes away. I love the independence, but never in my life thought I would have this much pain all day every day. It does seem to be getting better by tiny bits so I am hopeful.

Getting back to work in local office and over in PCB. That helps a lot.

Oh, had hearing on the lady's ticket a couple weeks ago. She was a mess. Showed up late. Looks awful. I felt for her. She admitted she had no idea what happened in accident (so now I don't have to worry about her trying to claim I did something) and she was found guilty. It's a SBI enhancement but I asked the judge to go as easy on her as he could. She is an older lady with nothing and I did not want her hurt. I got to talk to her and her grandson after. She cried and cried. She had no idea how bad I was hurt (I was there with walker still) and she felt awful. I asked her if she pulled out on purpose and she said NO. I then told her I knew that and while I wish we could go back and make it not happen, I know she did not mean it and I never was angry at her at all. I hugged her and told her to not let it get to her for another second and she cried and cried and then I left.

So, Allnoles is getting back to normal one day at a time. I so appreciate all the prayers and calls and DMs and texts. They meant a ton. I never felt unsupported for a day and it makes a difference in how you recover. I am working to get ready so we can start to travel and stuff. Looking to grab tickets for LSU but will play that by ear as the time approaches. Crowds and stairs are things I don't like right now.

Look forward to seeing folks next season!
I am so proud of you for your inspirational attitude! Keep on keepin on!

Reactions: Dhersh and MagNoleA
Thanks. Life is short. I realize now even more how true that is. We don't have time to sit around and whine (except about the GoR) or be angry at people for no good reason. Only so much energy to go around and I want the positive stuff!

I guess it's not that common though. I still go back to my rehab place to see my docs (well, my main doc is now a friend of ours ;)) and nurses and techs and send them food once a month. When I go, they do say most people are negative and struggle. I get to talk to some of them now and it's really nice to be able to help.

I also want to add something that may or may not fit here. I have thought a lot about why I have been positive. I tend to be positive as a person, but this was not a normal thing. Other than being at BMC when I was asking them to put me in a coma for a few weeks I have been pretty positive even in the face of some bad stuff. But here's the kicker. I was told early on this was awful BUT I would get a lot better if I worked hard. That makes all the difference. I know folks in wheelchairs for decades who are positive still. Those are my heroes. I thought every single day (and still do) about how much I will still improve. That is a direction changer for me. I don't know how well I would have done if I had been that badly hurt and was not going to get physically better. I like to think I would have been a great patient and all but it's hard to know.

Anyway, I am lucky that I was not permanently handicapped (well, maybe still am but nothing like I was), that I have an amazing wife and family, that I had great insurance and medical care, and had an amazing support system outside of family. All that helps, too.

I hope by Fall I am getting around well enough I can come by some tailgates and say hi to folks in person!

Thanks. Life is short. I realize now even more how true that is. We don't have time to sit around and whine (except about the GoR) or be angry at people for no good reason. Only so much energy to go around and I want the positive stuff!

I guess it's not that common though. I still go back to my rehab place to see my docs (well, my main doc is now a friend of ours ;)) and nurses and techs and send them food once a month. When I go, they do say most people are negative and struggle. I get to talk to some of them now and it's really nice to be able to help.

I also want to add something that may or may not fit here. I have thought a lot about why I have been positive. I tend to be positive as a person, but this was not a normal thing. Other than being at BMC when I was asking them to put me in a coma for a few weeks I have been pretty positive even in the face of some bad stuff. But here's the kicker. I was told early on this was awful BUT I would get a lot better if I worked hard. That makes all the difference. I know folks in wheelchairs for decades who are positive still. Those are my heroes. I thought every single day (and still do) about how much I will still improve. That is a direction changer for me. I don't know how well I would have done if I had been that badly hurt and was not going to get physically better. I like to think I would have been a great patient and all but it's hard to know.

Anyway, I am lucky that I was not permanently handicapped (well, maybe still am but nothing like I was), that I have an amazing wife and family, that I had great insurance and medical care, and had an amazing support system outside of family. All that helps, too.

I hope by Fall I am getting around well enough I can come by some tailgates and say hi to folks in person!
I was going to DM you, but I thought others may be interested as well...
How are you doing?

Thanks for asking. Doing really well. No walking aids. Fully working and living. Still hurt. Still have limits. But really good all things considered.
That's great! Go Noles!

Glad to hear it. If you ever get to Mexico Beach, let me know. I will buy you a beer
I am sure I will!

I am traveling a little less now. I changed firms two weeks ago. I had been practicing with a firm out of PC/PCB since 2016. I built a house over west end of beach (near @jamnolfin) and used to be over there every other week for 3 days or so (then stay to play through weekend).

Practicing law mostly 2 hours from home, especially post Micheal/Covid/my accident, was a pain. Had a chance to move locally so now I am in Tally much more and get to practice locally. But still taking cases all over the Big Bend so I am sure I will be down that way sometime soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT