ADVERTISEMENT

Ever buy a car that you ended up hating or disliking?

dmm5157

Seminole Insider
Jan 30, 2005
Tallahassee
I'm not talking hand-me-down. I have only purchased 2 cars in my life, both I loved. The rest were hand-me-downs and I didn't hate those either. I was thinking about folks that trade in their cars often and wonder how many folks do that because they actually disliked or hated the car. If so, what type was it and what was it about the car that made you hate it?

Yes I bought a 2016 Toyota Highlander new, drove it for a year, hated it, and traded it in on a used 2012 Infiniti QX56 last year.

Not sure what made me hate it, but it just didn’t click w/me. Had buyer’s remorse almost immediately.

Yes I bought a 2016 Toyota Highlander new, drove it for a year, hated it, and traded it in on a used 2012 Infiniti QX56 last year.

Not sure what made me hate it, but it just didn’t click w/me. Had buyer’s remorse almost immediately.

Bummer, sucks to hear. That's exactly the kind of thing I was wondering about.

No. I've enjoyed every car I've ever owned or was loaned from my parents.

The only car I ever hated was a Jeep Grand Cherokee I bought about 10 years ago. Not because it was a bad car, but because I haf to go way upside down to get it (long story). The damn thing had a higher payment than my new Volvo XC 90.

Last edited:
Reactions: jim65
2012 Subaru Outback we bought used in 2013. Thankfully we bought an extended warranty because we took it in for engine light about 8 times and had to have a new transmission. I was going to try to keep it, but that last time the check engine light came on was the last straw. We were at 98000 miles and the extended warranty was about to expire. Traded it in on a 2017 RDX and that is working out very well. This was my wife's car.

For me, I bought a used 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and kept it until 2009.I liked it a LOT but it stranded me several times with overheating and battery issues. Finally pretty much gave it away after spending WAY too much trying to keep it.

I've only had 3 cars my post-college life, starting with an 88 Prelude, 99 Jeep and now an 09 Mazda 3.

GMC Acadia. Hated it. Traded in a Chevy Traverse for it. Yeah I know they're basically the same vehicle, but to me, the Acadia seemed more cheaply built, and I would figure it would be the opposite.

GMC Acadia. Hated it. Traded in a Chevy Traverse for it. Yeah I know they're basically the same vehicle, but to me, the Acadia seemed more cheaply built, and I would figure it would be the opposite.
Friend of mine has an Acadia, I don't like anything about it.

I detest the Kia Soul Electric Mrs. Ed (no pics) bought. Dealership didn't mention to her how the battery wouldn't charge as high in winter as in summer, nor that its capacity decreases every year over time. So, her 80 mile round trip can be done in that car any more. The dealership, after much pressure from me, finally put in a new battery last month that immediately charged up to 96 miles...for a week or so. Now she's back to the same problem. I may spend my summer vacation from school picketing in front of the dealership. I don't want a new car; I just want out of the lease at this point.

I bought a 2002 VW Passat new. The car itself was very nice. It looked sharp, had great pickup, and handled well. Overall, it did not have many problems, but the two it did have were very costly to fix, they were clearly caused by design issues that VW strongly denied, and they refused to take any blame or admit any fault - although they changed things in those areas with subsequent models. They handled it so poorly that I loathe the company and hope they go out of business.

Waaayyy back in the day we bought a Fiat. We must have been on mind altering drugs. (Not) this was the mid 70's during one of the "gas shortages" and we wanted better gas mileage. What a joke.

The door handle fell off into my hand twice in four months, the A/C was a joke, and short story, we unloaded the "Fix It Again Tony" on a European History Professor whose wife was from Italy. Never so glad to see it go.

I detest the Kia Soul Electric Mrs. Ed (no pics) bought. Dealership didn't mention to her how the battery wouldn't charge as high in winter as in summer, nor that its capacity decreases every year over time. So, her 80 mile round trip can be done in that car any more. The dealership, after much pressure from me, finally put in a new battery last month that immediately charged up to 96 miles...for a week or so. Now she's back to the same problem. I may spend my summer vacation from school picketing in front of the dealership. I don't want a new car; I just want out of the lease at this point.

I lost count of the bad decisions in your tale.

My wife's 05 Corolla. The car itself was okay, it seemed to hold up to the years of use, but it was so amazingly underpowered that I despised driving it. So perhaps its not fair that I disliked it, but the performance was sho shockingly bad. Felt like it took all week to get up on the highway speed for merging and cross your fingers you were able to make it up and over the high mountain passes. It just felt dangerous being around adult sized vehicles on the bigger roads. Happy days when the tree feel on it and crushed it out of my life.

Reactions: dmm5157
I bought the wife an Infiniti G37, she was supposed to use it as her everyday driver , but somehow I ended up driving the car. Hated the car with a passion, it was a sardine can that handled poorly for the power it possessed ( which was decent for a sedan).

Always drove Chevy, GM or imports but decided I'd by a Ram 1500. What a piece of garbage. I wouldn't drive another one even if it was given to me...

Reactions: noleone99
In the late fall of 2011, my wife, pregnant with our third child, decided we should give up all pretense of having a life and get a minivan. We got a 2008 Odyssey with 18k miles. Major regrets. Drove like a boat, mushy brakes, weird eco engine issue. Turrible.

Traded it in spring of 2016 for a Ford Explorer with third row seats and never looked back. Not worth the cool sliding door! Not even close. It was so bad the wife won’t even admit it was her idea. Somehow it was all me...

My wife's 05 Corolla. The car itself was okay, it seemed to hold up to the years of use, but it was so amazingly underpowered that I despised driving it. So perhaps its not fair that I disliked it, but the performance was sho shockingly bad. Felt like it took all week to get up on the highway speed for merging and cross your fingers you were able to make it up and over the high mountain passes. It just felt dangerous being around adult sized vehicles on the bigger roads. Happy days when the tree feel on it and crushed it out of my life.

This reminded me of some horrible rental cars I've had over the years. Most surprisingly bad rental I've had was a 2016 VW Jetta. Horrible console, antiquated controls and sound System, drove horribly, handled horribly. I am sure it was a bare bones version, but it was horrible. About what I expect when I get stuck with compact cars.

I got stuck with a 2016 Ford Fusion for a week last year that was dreadful. Zero acceleration, seats felt horrible, awful experience.

I bought a 2002 VW Passat new. The car itself was very nice. It looked sharp, had great pickup, and handled well. Overall, it did not have many problems, but the two it did have were very costly to fix, they were clearly caused by design issues that VW strongly denied, and they refused to take any blame or admit any fault - although they changed things in those areas with subsequent models. They handled it so poorly that I loathe the company and hope they go out of business.
One of my ex-gf's had a VW Passat and that thing was nothing but issues for her. German Engineering was pure crap if you ask me. She ended up trading it in after two years for a Honda Civic.

Always drove Chevy, GM or imports but decided I'd by a Ram 1500. What a piece of garbage. I wouldn't drive another one even if it was given to me...

My experience has been just the opposite. Have owned 2 GM products, neither made 100,000miles until they had major issues. Have yet to put to less than 250,000 any Dodge or Ram products. Current truck has 452,000 engine has never been touched other than maintenance and original transmission. My brother drives GMs and swears by them,,,, go figure.

I'm not talking hand-me-down. I have only purchased 2 cars in my life, both I loved. The rest were hand-me-downs and I didn't hate those either. I was thinking about folks that trade in their cars often and wonder how many folks do that because they actually disliked or hated the car. If so, what type was it and what was it about the car that made you hate it?

Knock on wood, not so far. I’m sure I’ll end up with a lemon at some point but I’ve only had a 1979 Plymouth Volare, a 1989 Trans Am, a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero, a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon and a 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. None have been duds, the only reason I got the Tiburon so close to the Alero was some dumb college student was chatting with his mom while driving in the rain and didn’t notice I was sitting at a red light for at least a minute and rear ended me at almost full speed while I was stopped. But all of the other cars were perfectly fine and lasted a long time.

Knock on wood, not so far. I’m sure I’ll end up with a lemon at some point but I’ve only had a 1979 Plymouth Volare, a 1989 Trans Am, a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero, a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon and a 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. None have been duds, the only reason I got the Tiburon so close to the Alero was some dumb college student was chatting with his mom while driving in the rain and didn’t notice I was sitting at a red light for at least a minute and rear ended me at almost full speed while I was stopped. But all of the other cars were perfectly fine and lasted a long time.
Wow that sounds like that could have been a nasty accident.

Reactions: FSUTribe76

I get it now. Tribe is Dwight Schrute.

Ford Explorer. I bought a ‘93 model that was fully loaded for a good price in ‘98. It only had 9K miles on it because it had spent most of its life as a car owned by a business that was contested in a divorce, and wasn’t driven.

It had so many problems I had to basically become a mechanic to keep it on the road. It wasn’t major things but every little issue that could go wrong did.

Growing up, my extended family insisted on buying Chrysler products. I swear, those cars spent as much time in the shop as on the road. To this day, I won't even consider American-branded autos.

Our neighbors in Tampa were moving to Spain on short notice and began selling off most of their big items.

We bought their 2014 Ford Escape for super cheap, was too good of a price to pass up and we were needing an economical fuel effeminate type car.

We still have the car, it’s serving its purpose just fine. I just hate how dorky I feel when driving it...it’s so tiny. And of course every mall cop and rent cop service in America uses the same make and model.

I shouldn’t complain, its never been in the shop and gets us from A to B for cheap....but man is it nerdy.

Last edited:
Reactions: noleone99
2009 Tacoma double cab. Not that it was bad, but just too small for my needs. I had to move driver seat way forward for anyone to sit in back seat. Plus MPG wasn't as good as expected. Sold after a year. Bought a 2011 F150 crew. Plenty of leg room and MPG was comparable to the Tacoma if not a little better.

I was surprised when my 85 year old mother bought a new Toyota Sienna. I was even more surprised when she said bought it to pass along to me when her time comes.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I've had a great experience with a few of the brands mention here as being lemons. I wonder if it's really the luck of the draw when it comes to cars and reliability.

Reactions: jim65
I've got a 2012 Dodge Durango that I've grown to despise. Fortunately, I bought an extended lifetime warranty on it, which has covered probably $8000 worth of repairs. Unfortunately, I bought a extended lifetime warranty on it, so they'll keep fixing it forever until the day comes that the repair exceeds the value, so I'm basically married to it for the foreseeable future. I have a 14 year old son, and several times a week I count the months until he turns 16 and I can give it to him and get something else.

I've had several Explorers over the years, and my last one was a real love hate relationship. It really ran like a tank with little work needing to be done to keep it on the road, especially compared to what I've experienced with the Durango. But over the years, everything non-essential to it actually driving fell apart...by the end, my center console had broken, washer fluid sprayer motor didn't work, rear wiper didn't work, two door locks didn't work, drivers seatbelt didn't buckle, half the dash lights were out, rear right blinker blew monthly, so on and so on. It was just a continual breakdown of every possible piece of equipment from the time I bought it until the time I finally got rid of it for $1000.

It also once almost killed me, locking at 70 mph on the freeway and refusing to decelerate. Most terrified I've ever been, had many minutes to contemplate my death while I figured out what to do. But I lived, and even that turned out to be like a $50 fix.

If you've seen Trailer Park Boys, I basically felt like I was driving Ricky's car, everything was a mess, but it just kept running. And I had to respect that at least, I never had to drop $1500 or something to keep it on the road, and that's something.

Sounds like this may be related to the issues they touched on in the Dirty Money episode about VW.

Wife had to have a Jeep Wrangler and I fended her off for as long as I could until we went to get one about 7 years ago. I never liked it. Bad on gas, even with the smaller, weak engine. No storage space. For a few months every summer it was nice to cruise around with the top off but even then, we only had the hard top so it was a pain to get it on and off. Never had any mechanical issues until about two months after we paid the sucker off. Once we had to start putting money into it even the wife (who had always wanted a jeep) said enough was enough and last year we took it in for trade.Good riddance.

Our neighbors in Tampa were moving to Spain on short notice and began selling off most of their big items.

We bought their 2014 Ford Escape for super cheap, was too good of a price to pass up and we were needing an economical fuel effeminate type car.

We still have the car, it’s serving its purpose just fine. I just hate how dorky I feel when driving it...it’s so tiny. And of course every mall cop and rent cop service in America uses the same make and model.

I shouldn’t complain, its never been in the shop and gets us from A to B for cheap....but man is it nerdy.

Sounds like you need something really cool like a Camaro or a Corvette to cover up other shortcomings you may have...

Reactions: funksouljon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT