ADVERTISEMENT

Ever sold a house by owner?

Spearhead04

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
12 days into a Zillow listing and nothing but hundreds of calls from realtor clowns looking for the listing.

How did you advertise your house? How long did it take you to sell?

did this twice.

first time i had a realtor, got an offer for $x, deal fell through. So i stuck a sign in the yard and 7 months later sold it for $x. it took a little longer because in this area houses don't sell until the spring, and this was an area that had a lot of demand.

second time i did a flat fee MLS listing for $500 and paid a buyers agent 3%.

both times i sold my house faster and better than with a realtor but it was some work.

Reactions: APK Nole
I've sold four houses FSBO in midtown Tally.

I remodeled each of them extensively so they were in fantastic condition. (Everything updated - electric, plumbing, roof, appliances, all fixtures - new, open layouts, well staged, etc.) I priced them competitively with the other places in midtown that had been professionally remodeled top to bottom. So, compared to the average midtown home, they were absolutely way on the high side, but they were on a par with the best of the best. (Like Urban Meyer's top 1% of the top 1%)

The average time on market before receiving an offer that went to closing was two - three weeks. I will note that every time I sold a place, I had realtors stopping by my open house telling me to call them when I was ready to REALLY sell my house. They also said I was way overpriced. A realtor told me one house would sell for no more than $165,000. It sold for $189,000 within two weeks. Another sold for $145,000 when a realtor said I'd get no more than $125,000 (I paid $65K). That does not sound like a big difference but for the cash I had in the place, an extra $20K is a huge boon to my return on investment. I respect the job that some realtors do, but I knew my niche market way better than they did. I also knew how much people liked the remodeling work we did.

However, if I was selling just another house in a huge sea of other houses (like your basic functionally obsolescent Killearn Lakes home), I'd list it with a realtor as you'll need all the help you could get.

In terms of advertising, I did a lot on social media, websites, etc. Word of mouth was best though as a lot of folks visited our houses over time and always said to call if we sold. I also timed my open house to coincide with other open houses going on nearby.

Best of luck to you.

A realtor told me one house would sell for no more than $165,000. It sold for $189,000 within two weeks. Another sold for $145,000 when a realtor said I'd get no more than $125,000 (I paid $65K).

one thing most inexperienced sellers are not prepared for is that your biggest negotiating job is with your own realtor. most home sellers would take the realtor's advice, hire the realtor, and list at the realtor's suggested selling price. The realtor will get the house sold in a weekend, at a full price offer, without doing hardly any work or with any out of pocket costs. And inexperienced buyers will thank them for doing as little work as possible and leaving $20,000 on the table.

now, some realtors will do a good job for you but its hard to know who. Also, on a $150,000 sale, the total commission is $9-10,000, half of which is split with the buyer's agent and more than half with the firm. so there is not a lot of money to go around to justify a lot of work.

listing yourself is going to require some work. in my cases, i was doing the work for the realtors anyway so i might as well not be paying them. but FSBO is not for you if you are not going to do the work of marketing and showing the property.

A good Realtor is worth it IMHO. The problem is there are a ton of bad ones looking for an easy buck and wanting the house to sell itself with very little effort on their part. For example, when we sold our house two years ago we went with the local small town realtor figuring she would be best since the zipcode was her domain. Wrong. She sucked and basically did very little to nothing. In 6 months, we had zero offers. In the meantime, we had found another lady who was amazing that we were using to buy a house. She busted her butt for us, was very responsive, very organized, good at the negotiation and scheduling of all the inspections and finding people that were good but also not the most expensive. She also found a way to use an old survey for the house the previous owner had so we did not need a new one.

So the day the contract expired we signed the new realtor up, she had an open house three days later and we got in offer that night. The buyer was a nightmare of indecision and paranoia. No way we could have sold it without our realtor running interference for 30 days and dealing with this ridiculous buyer. She also did a great job helping find a good and cost efficient roofer for a new roof we had to put on it. She earned every penny of her commission.

So if you know a good realtor, I would in a heartbeat use him/her. If you have no idea, start asking around for one. Just my personal experience.

Last edited:
Interesting discussion. I may be selling this year or next and had considered relator vs FSBO. The house is in a desirable 'hood, most places sell pretty quick so we have debated leaving the relator money on the table.

Interesting discussion. I may be selling this year or next and had considered relator vs FSBO. The house is in a desirable 'hood, most places sell pretty quick so we have debated leaving the relator money on the table.

there are a lot of low-service MLS only agents now. you pay a flat fee plus a small percentage and you get listed in MLS. If a buyer comes from a broker, you pay that broker 3%. If a buyer comes because they saw your FSBO sign in the yard, word of mouth, or open house, you pay 0%

12 days into a Zillow listing and nothing but hundreds of calls from realtor clowns looking for the listing.

How did you advertise your house? How long did it take you to sell?

Had a friend try to sell his place in southwood just over 10 years ago. Very little traffic and more than one person told him realtors were bad mouthing the listing as having undefined 'problems' and not worth looking at.

More recently, house at the entrance to my neighborhood was listed FSBO. We're off of Pedrick, but it has been listed a while and now he has gotten a realtor this month.

Had a friend try to sell his place in southwood just over 10 years ago. Very little traffic and more than one person told him realtors were bad mouthing the listing as having undefined 'problems' and not worth looking at.

More recently, house at the entrance to my neighborhood was listed FSBO. We're off of Pedrick, but it has been listed a while and now he has gotten a realtor this month.

wow, the former can open those realtors to slander lawsuits in some states.

as for traffic, you should understand that no realtor is going to bring their customer there unless you are going to pay a commission. so a lot of FSBO's will say "agents protected," which means the seller will pay a buyer's agent a 3% commision. these sellers figure its worth it since they are still saving half of the commission.

i once had a property with a realtor that didn't get much traffic after the first weekend. So I terminated the listing and sold FSBO and generated more traffic through my own efforts.

I've always advertised that I would pay agents 3%. Only makes sense to do that. Luckily though, I've been able to sell places on my own so I've saved that 3%.

there are a lot of low-service MLS only agents now. you pay a flat fee plus a small percentage and you get listed in MLS. If a buyer comes from a broker, you pay that broker 3%. If a buyer comes because they saw your FSBO sign in the yard, word of mouth, or open house, you pay 0%

I will be selling my house later this summer & was considering FSBO. I have bought numerous properties without a realtor but have never sold one. I did not know about this 3% buyers broker fee. Is this something new?

I assume the buyer's broker fees is negotiable during contract.

I would only do the FSBO if you're in a hot market.....and as mentioned above, make sure to list that you'll pay the selling agent their 3% commission, this way they have no reason to bad mouth you or the house

Reactions: noleclone2
As someone in the industry, this hurts to hear haha. But not necessarily untrue for a lot of what has been said.

i think FSBO works as long as you are in a neighborhood with built in demand OR you do MLS. You could be in the sticks and with MLS people will find it.

here's an example of a flat fee MLS firm in Atlanta, although they do charge 75 basis points.

http://www.duffyrealtyofatlanta.com/index

their website is a little misleading because you most likely will end up paying 3.75%, but realize that the MLS listing gives you a lot of traffic. of course, paying the 3% is your option so i can't quibble with Duffy.

This is how I sold my first house. After 6 months of no offers from my worthless realtor, we fired her. To show how crappy she was, she sold the house next to us even though it was the exact same house as ours, but the garage was on the left instead of the right. She said the buyer "just fell in love" with the house. BULL CRAP!! Anyway, we put up a FSBO sign and had our house sold in 2 weeks. Saved us a ton of money, but I'm still irritated with that realtor and it was over 20 years ago.

Yeah. Spent less than ten bucks on signage. Had several local guys try low ball offers, and then sold to the third person to knock on the door. It was our first house and we sold to another young couple. It was a great little arts and crafts bungalow with lots of built ins. Those were the days.

Ok, resurrecting this thread. I could have sworn we had another thread specifically about whether real estate agents were a scam, but I can't find it. I swear I remember someone talking about meeting someone on a plane form Denver or something that had sold their house to one of these realtor alternative services, because it stuck in my head.

I just got through using one of them, so wanted to share my experience, because as I recall, several of us were intrigued by the idea, but nobody had first hand experience. This is not an endorsement, but I remember the discussion and there was some curiosity. Otherwise, skip it...definitely a TLDR.

Background...we were looking to move, and would need to sell our house we've been in for 18 years. House is at low end of desirability in the neighborhood (no basement, stucco exterior, etc). On top of that, we'd done minimal upgrades...slightly upgraded vinyl and laminate in places, granite countertops, better light fixtures) but no hardwoods, carpet from 7-20 years old, hadn't painted since we moved in (and not neutral colors), wallpaper borders in some rooms that were peeling. In addition, I was never really great at non-essential maintenance, so there were a lot of little things here and there. Basically, in the rush of life, we hadn't really kept it up. We didn't really realize it, until we started researching and saw what other houses for sale in the neighborhood looked like in the listing photos.

We had been sort of ballparking somewhere between $300-320 based on what other houses were selling for, our house's position in the neighborhood desirability etc. We had a realtor that specializes in our neighborhood and took a look around and threw water all over that. Said that we needed to have everything moved out, replace all the carpet, paint everything, fix everything, and she'd list it at $285k and we should anticipate $275k.

So I had gotten a postcard from this service that said they'd buy the house, which I had originally dismissed as one of these "we buy ugly houses" type services that offered you <50% of value. But that's not exactly it. They offered $302k, minus their "fee", and repairs.

That was good enough for us. Their price was at the low end of what we'd originally hoped, but more than what a realtor told us to expect. Their "fee" was 6%, the same as a full service realtor, but obviously more than you'd pay with a low commission or FSBO. Their position on the repairs was that they wanted either a fix, or a deduction, for anything that needed REPAIR, but did not ask for compensation on cosmetics. We ended up getting dinged for about $10k there. The majority of that was two items. One legit...we still had the original 20+ year old HVAC. I had no doubt that any way we sold, I was going to have to replace that or give a concession on it. The other was legit-ish...they dinged us for painting the exterior. Legit because it was more than due based on time...it didn't look glaringly bad, but it was absolutely due and might have triggered a concession from a buyer...but on the other hand, it did seem to fall into the "cosmetic" category that by the letter of their terms, so I was hoping to escape that.

If I'd gotten by on the exterior paint, I'd have been thrilled, but I was ok with it. Didn't have to replace carpet, paint, fix nail holes, fix all the little things around the house, replace a 20+ year old oven, etc. No closing costs to the buyer or anything like that.

Process was smooth, you can close whenever you want. We had a really long timeline, but I think they can turn the whole thing around in a week or two from calling if that's what you want.

Overall, I'm decently satisfied. If the house had been sell-ready shape and I could have listed it FSBO or low-comission broker, I could have done better, and I kind of regret that. But it was better than going through the whole realtor and prepping and listing process, having it drag out, and then having to get rid of it for less than we wanted six months later, or having to carry two mortgages for months. For our exact situation, it worked out pretty well.

@Nole Lou what was the name of the company, it seems like Opendoor, Offerpad, and now Zillow are all in the "instant offers" space.

@Nole Lou what was the name of the company, it seems like Opendoor, Offerpad, and now Zillow are all in the "instant offers" space.

It was Opendoor. We also got a postcard from Knock, but I never called them. My biggest thought going in was that there was going to be a "catch" somewhere. I was really fearing they would make a reasonable offer to get you in the process, and then hit you with $40k of "repair" credit to get at you this way. But they also give you the option to adjust, or repair it yourself, and the prices they quoted for everything were in line with what I thought it would cost me to do it myself, so I have to say that they're mostly as advertised for the whole process.

I think it comes down to probably leaving a fair amount of money on the table versus a perfect selling scenario, but in exchange for eliminating most of the hassle and all of the risk. If you think you can sell your house FSBO in a week or something, it would be stupid not to, but if there's any possibility your house will sit for six months while it gets lowered and lowered ever few weeks, then it's a good alternative option.

I do think that if I had put it on the market today, 100% empty and clean, FSBO or 1% realtor, I'm fairly sure I could price it at like $290k and have it move, and come out ahead. But I just think that. If I'm wrong, yuck. There's a hell of a lot that could happen.

And I've known my house was "sold" for months now, while we shopped, bought, and moved into our new place. Hard to put a price on that piece of mind, and not having the stress of the unknown hanging over our heads. We also had enough equity after living there for so long, we didn't have any one number that was absolutely crucial to hit.

Bought a house FSBO - no issues, you do the inspection, lawyer reviews contract, etc. You're still afforded protections and all that and you can dictate many sale terms (which are also negotiable).

https://www.forsalebyowner.com/

Yeah, we bought our house without a realtor. Found a seller who was selling with Duffy here in Atlanta, who charges just 1%. But the seller still has to plan on paying the buyer's agent 3%. We called the seller and said "Hey...how about this...if I show up with a realtor holding my hand and pay asking price, you're going to pay my realtor $14k. So let's say I DON'T bring a realtor, and you drop the asking price $12k, and I buy your house?" I don't think he followed me at first (I offered the same to a couple other sellers that didn't seem to compute it), but I sent him a spreadsheet comparing it out, and he accepted it flat out once he understood he would net more than selling it for asking price.

I just hired a lawyer to deal with it, and never once did I feel like I needed a realtor. And Duffy was almost a non-presence on his side, which is by design, so it worked out very well for us both.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
It was Opendoor. We also got a postcard from Knock, but I never called them. My biggest thought going in was that there was going to be a "catch" somewhere. I was really fearing they would make a reasonable offer to get you in the process, and then hit you with $40k of "repair" credit to get at you this way. But they also give you the option to adjust, or repair it yourself, and the prices they quoted for everything were in line with what I thought it would cost me to do it myself, so I have to say that they're mostly as advertised for the whole process.

I think it comes down to probably leaving a fair amount of money on the table versus a perfect selling scenario, but in exchange for eliminating most of the hassle and all of the risk. If you think you can sell your house FSBO in a week or something, it would be stupid not to, but if there's any possibility your house will sit for six months while it gets lowered and lowered ever few weeks, then it's a good alternative option.

I do think that if I had put it on the market today, 100% empty and clean, FSBO or 1% realtor, I'm fairly sure I could price it at like $290k and have it move, and come out ahead. But I just think that. If I'm wrong, yuck. There's a hell of a lot that could happen.

And I've known my house was "sold" for months now, while we shopped, bought, and moved into our new place. Hard to put a price on that piece of mind, and not having the stress of the unknown hanging over our heads. We also had enough equity after living there for so long, we didn't have any one number that was absolutely crucial to hit.
Opendoor is a legit company with legit Silicon Valley VC funding, so I wouldn't expect any shady tactics from them (or Offerpad).

I'd be curious to know how much they wind up selling your home for after work is different.

I remodeled each of them extensively so they were in fantastic condition. (Everything updated - electric, plumbing, roof, appliances, all fixtures - new, open layouts, well staged, etc.) I priced them competitively with the other places in midtown that had been professionally remodeled top to bottom. So, compared to the average midtown home, they were absolutely way on the high side, but they were on a par with the best of the best. (Like Urban Meyer's top 1% of the top 1%)

The average time on market before receiving an offer that went to closing was two - three weeks. I will note that every time I sold a place, I had realtors stopping by my open house telling me to call them when I was ready to REALLY sell my house. They also said I was way overpriced. A realtor told me one house would sell for no more than $165,000. It sold for $189,000 within two weeks. Another sold for $145,000 when a realtor said I'd get no more than $125,000 (I paid $65K). That does not sound like a big difference but for the cash I had in the place, an extra $20K is a huge boon to my return on investment. I respect the job that some realtors do, but I knew my niche market way better than they did. I also knew how much people liked the remodeling work we did.

However, if I was selling just another house in a huge sea of other houses (like your basic functionally obsolescent Killearn Lakes home), I'd list it with a realtor as you'll need all the help you could get.

In terms of advertising, I did a lot on social media, websites, etc. Word of mouth was best though as a lot of folks visited our houses over time and always said to call if we sold. I also timed my open house to coincide with other open houses going on nearby.

Best of luck to you.

I'd just like to say that I was the first on-site agent at Killearn Lakes and sold more than one or two of those functionally obsolete homes...;)

Best of luck to you.
This post is almost two years old, but I wonder if you can still by fully remodeled homes near downtown in Tally for under $200K.

This post is almost two years old, but I wonder if you can still by fully remodeled homes near downtown in Tally for under $200K.
Yeah. That sounds awfully cheap for a floor to ceiling, pimped out remodel. I would love to see some pics of these. Wouldnt mind having a rental place up there and a place to crash for games.

Opendoor is a legit company with legit Silicon Valley VC funding, so I wouldn't expect any shady tactics from them (or Offerpad).

I'd be curious to know how much they wind up selling your home for after work is different.

Yeah, we'll find out because my wife is intrigued to know. I'd rather not see it sell for $330k in three days.

I don't know enough about their selling philosophy, how long they're willing to hold it, etc. If I had to guess, they'll replace the HVAC, totally repaint, and put in hardwoods throughout the ground floor, and maybe sell it for around $310-315k. It is a safe place, low taxes, with a good yard, at the very lowest end of what you can by into this extremely excellent school system, so it should sell. It will be a good time between school years to sell. I won't resent them making some return on it, and I'm sure they're set up to get that work done at half or less than what it would cost me. Plus, even if they don't make a ton on the turn around, they pocketed that 6%.

But on the other hand, our pool/clubhouse is being renovated, got delayed months waiting for the county to rubber stamp the approval, and is now going be a construction site throughout the summer. And the two lane road that's the only way out of our subdivision is scheduled for a year of widening, at the same time its about to be one of the main routes to a massive shopping/entertainment complex slated to open a couple miles away. Living there is going to be pretty hellish for the next year or two traffic wise. Our community of $300-400k homes is directly across from a much larger community of $800k+ homes in a much better organized Fulton County, so that road widening is almost certainly going to fully come out of our community. We also just went through a school redistricting that held up a lot of sales and could have potentially affected desirability, but I think that's settled barring lawsuits. Our community generally gets the screwjob being merely well-off people surrounded by rich and mega-rich people, but I think they came out ok.

I wonder strongly how aware of that they were, or if they even cared. Maybe it won't matter. Assuming that all their pricing metrics are algorithm based, I wonder if that's a potential weak point of not having a real local presence, if they could miss something that buyers on the ground know about.

Also, I think they are new to Atlanta...I wonder if when they enter a market they are more aggressive on their offers/fees to build up an inventory and presence even at a lower profit margin, and then they drive a little tougher deal once they get established. They say that word of mouth is their best advertisement, and you can't do that unless you make some deals obviously.

Did you deal in person with anyone from opendoor or did they use a local agent who operates under a different companies flag?

Might as well give an update since someone resurrected my thread from two year ago.I ended up selling the house with an agent. But even that took awhile. Listed it with them for several months with no luck then de-listed for a couple months and re-listed it again to make it look like a fresh listing. Second go around worked. The original Fsbo listing just got me a bunch of spam calls.

I tried to FSBO a few years back and all I got were calls from people wanting to rent my property.

Did you deal in person with anyone from opendoor or did they use a local agent who operates under a different companies flag?

As far as I can tell, they were all Opendoor staff. It was all over email.

The only humans I saw in person as part of the process was the team I let in for the inspection. They sent about five people, of which one was an actual Opendoor rep (didn't identify as a real estate agent but could have been) and several contracted inspectors. They had different people to look at different parts.

They also sent humans for a walk through the day before closing, but I don't know who it was, I wasn't there.

My advice is that you probably won't do much harm in trying FSBO for a little while. If you choose to pay for any advertising, then you will probably throw that out the door. Like mentioned above, you will probably get inundated with calls from real estate agents. Some are looking pick up the listing. Others may have a buyer in mind. Others are just curious as to how it compares with homes that are on the market. From an agent's perspective, other things being equal, it's a lot less hassle and less liability to sell a similarly priced home in the neighborhood that is listed with a broker.

You can say agents are protected, but that means nothing. You don't have to pay someone if there is nothing in writing. So, of course an agent will want you to sign one time listing agreement for a named buyer, or an open listing agreement that may or may not allow them to advertise your property, and if you sell the property to a client they bring to you, then you will pay them a commission. Everything is negotiable. Are they going to meet inspectors, appraisers, and licensed contractors in their given fields, such as plumber, electrician, roofer, radon tester, or the termite inspector? They are all different? Are you going to have an attorney handle your side of the closing, or do you intend to use whomever the buyer chooses as their closing agent? Are you selling as-is, or do you intend to use a widely used contract that is recognized by your area's board of realtors? Will you have a seller disclosure prepared for buyers, or should you even use one? Don't expect an agent who is representing the buyer to ask you all these questions or have the answers for you. There are far more details than these.

It is impossible to say what is the best method to use. Every property and area is different. Real estate is very local by nature. If you rely upon services like Zillow, good luck. They give values of properties as "Zestimates" and have come under fire from property owners for doing so, for acting as an appraisal firm without a license. I can personally attest to a listing of mine that I sold in Palm Bay a few months prior. The perspective buyer was made at me because it was still showing as for sale. I had to tell them that I have no control as to how Zillow promulgates its data. Compounding the problem of the property not being available because it was sold was also the fact that the perspective customer was of the belief that the property was in Cape Coral. Not only did Zillow miss the mark on the property's availability, they didn't even have the correct coast of Florida.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT