Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Followed by a second.

Fresh Tomatoes
Sunbeam Bread
Dukes
Salt
Pepper

It's the only time I eat white bread. Man, those things are good. Follow it with some good watermelon and you've got one of the best summer combos. I will probably eat 50 more in the next two months.

Followed by a second.

Fresh Tomatoes
Sunbeam Bread
Dukes
Salt
Pepper

It's the only time I eat white bread. Man, those things are good. Follow it with some good watermelon and you've got one of the best summer combos. I will probably eat 50 more in the next two months.

Throw some bacon on it and I'm right there with you.

I do that sometimes, but with really really good tomatoes, I don't think you need to......and actually prefer it bacon-free (and I love bacon).

Throw some bacon on it and I'm right there with you.

I was up in Toronto for work last month and hit up the St. Lawrence Market for lunch. I had a bacon sandwich that looked quite a bit like this (I even put on the mustard):

o.jpg

Reactions: SoddyNole
Damn mockingbirds and squirrels eat my tomatoes before i get a chance to pick them and I had some nice heirloom ones growing.

I had fresh tomatoe slices from my sisters garden with salt and pepper with my breakfast this morning...damn good!

Love me some tomatoe sandwiches as well. I’ll will toast my bread very lightly though.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what's the deal with heirlooms? Havent tried one to my knowledge, but people are always yapping about how much better they are.

Local sweet corn and watermelon is also on point right now. Almost started a thread just dedicated to the goat summertime FL produce myself.
How about the Indian River fruit? Ready for a vodka and oj at Jonathan's...

In real countries that's considered a ham sandwich.

You’re probably thinking of Canadian (back) bacon. From the picture, it’s evident that this is pork belly, thick cut. If you give me smoked pork belly and cook it, I’m going to call it bacon. If you want to call it “ham,” go ahead.

Reactions: FSU_UCLA
You’re probably thinking of Canadian (back) bacon. From the picture, it’s evident that this is pork belly, thick cut. If you give me smoked pork belly and cook it, I’m going to call it bacon. If you want to call it “ham,” go ahead.
My bad. Without zooming up, on my phone it looks like Canadian bacon.

The ideal is a tomato SO big that only one really thick slice is needed. Merita or Sunbeam white bread- day old - real Mayo, salt, and pepper. Done.
Get you a glass of sweet tea and some paper towels. Sit on the back stoop so you don't make a mess, cause if that sandwich is not messy it ain't good.
And that's how it's done.

So what's the deal with heirlooms? Havent tried one to my knowledge, but people are always yapping about how much better they are.

Miles better. Literally none of the tomatoes you buy in stores or most farmer markets/flea markets are actually ripe ie at the peak of their deliciousness. They are ALL picked green and then dosed with ethylene gas which artificially turns them red (or yellow or orange), but they don’t actually ripen unlike bananas and some apple varieties. They never get sweeter or more intense in flavor, they just start rotting. Even the “vine ripe” tomatoes you see advertised in store is a giant lie. They pick them green and dose them with the same gas it’s just they leave the vine attached but they are able to get away with it because the FDA says dosing with gas equals “ripen” and technically they are still on the vine it’s just not attached to the plant.

They do that because actually vine ripe tomatoes from your garden are too soft to transport, over half or more would be squished and bruised before they make it on the market. So instead you get bland but much tougher green tomatoes that are artificially reddened, not really “ripened”.

Therefore ANY variety of tomato and I don’t care which one you choose that is actually ripened on the plant will be 500x better than the best commercial crop green tomato that’s been reddened. And the great thing about growing your own is that the various varieties have vastly different flavours. Because I don’t have a lot of property around my Tally house, I just use self watering Earthboxes for whatever veggies I grow (I’ve got 4 large versions at the moment). And while the Self watering Earthboxes work great for 95% of veggies, for the large varieties of tomatoes the plants soak up too much water because the plants are greedy piggies which gets you lush and dense tomato plants but any tomato larger than a plum variety or thereabouts will literally burst at the seam. So I only grow the smaller varieties which work great in Earthboxes. But even there, I’ve got vastly different flavours. This year I grew orange sungolds which is a little round orange tomato that is INTENSELY flavored, Little ultrasweet, ultra”tomatoey” and ultra citrusy flavor that would be like you took the best ripe beefsteak tomato and marinated in an orange and honey syrup. I also grew yellow pears which are very mild in flavor with little actual “tomato” flavor but instead have a mild but sweet lemony flavor. I also grew some merlot tomatoes which are deep red, very tomatoey and sweet with no citrus flavor and Black Prince tomatoes which are purple almost black and have a midlevel amount of “tomatoey” flavor with only a hint of citrus.

The ideal is a tomato SO big that only one really thick slice is needed. Merita or Sunbeam white bread- day old - real Mayo, salt, and pepper. Done.
Get you a glass of sweet tea and some paper towels. Sit on the back stoop so you don't make a mess, cause if that sandwich is not messy it ain't good.
And that's how it's done.
I kind of like it when you are eating it and those spicy juices run out all over you. A perfect ripeness is what makes it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT