Florida State officials say it's time to fix the U.S. News rankings

MagNoleA

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2009
The points made are valid - and interestingly reflect some of the same themes that were noted a few years ago by football coaches, among them Steve Spurrier.
As Bobby once said before a game to the players, Stevey Boy! :cool:

Seminole'13

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Feb 14, 2009
Students should focus far less on broad university rankings which hardly explain post graduation outcomes. Instead focus on which major you’re going to select and comparing the curriculum in your chosen field between institutions to make sure it matches with your interests/goals.

Of course, try helping an 18 year old understand that!

Reactions: ImmortalNole

FSUTPX

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Oh John Barnhill, I'm sure my original admission letter was signed by him.

You know how academia is, you are either connected or not. I figure with our current president anyway, the peer ratings will go up naturally anyway, as that seemed like part of his mission, and with more notable faculty hires and chairs.

I look at it as the public top-25 schools are all household university names. Beyond top-50 there really isn't much difference, say between 60 and 70 like the LA Times suggests.

Reactions: fsufool and goldmom

Buck-I-Nole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2002
KC<JAX<TLH<321 (Palm Bay)
floridastate.rivals.com
It's always funny to me how uf -- with a rich and documented history of racial atrocities -- escapes the turbulence that plagues FSU and others. Weird how the media conveniently overlooks uf while stirring the same pot elsewhere.
You must have missed the Gator Bait cheer kerfuffle, which was covered everywhere.

FSUTPX

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
And what pressure was brought to bear on the University?? What buildings at uf are being renamed, and what statues are being relocated?
Let's not pretend action wasn't done by President Fuchs either aside from a chant, UF removed a confederate statue from what was likely a IFAS location in St Augustine. Regardless, both made action where it was warranted and accepted. Thrasher had a good relationship with President Fuchs as well, so let's not get all out of shape.

fsufool

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
Students should focus far less on broad university rankings which hardly explain post graduation outcomes. Instead focus on which major you’re going to select and comparing the curriculum in your chosen field between institutions to make sure it matches with your interests/goals.

Of course, try helping an 18 year old understand that!
My advice, having just gone through this, is to develop a set of criteria that is important to each student first. This should include financial, social, as well as academic. This is actually the hardest part as teenagers aren't known to be self reflective. You do this by visiting as many college campuses as possible. Should really spend a year developing this. Then you match your criteria with colleges and develop a list of no more than 10 places that will work for the student. That is then broken down to 5-7 places where they are really excited about applying. I also would warn students not to be to program specific as the vast majority of students change their majors once they enter college. And also remember most students will work many, many jobs in their careers, some or most won't be connected to what they studied in college. I think too many people see this as a purely academic endeavor when it is really a social endeavor (entering adulthood) with a few classes thrown in!!! LOL

Reactions: goldmom

Seminole'13

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Feb 14, 2009
My advice, having just gone through this, is to develop a set of criteria that is important to each student first. This should include financial, social, as well as academic. This is actually the hardest part as teenagers aren't known to be self reflective. You do this by visiting as many college campuses as possible. Should really spend a year developing this. Then you match your criteria with colleges and develop a list of no more than 10 places that will work for the student. That is then broken down to 5-7 places where they are really excited about applying. I also would warn students not to be to program specific as the vast majority of students change their majors once they enter college. And also remember most students will work many, many jobs in their careers, some or most won't be connected to what they studied in college. I think too many people see this as a purely academic endeavor when it is really a social endeavor (entering adulthood) with a few classes thrown in!!! LOL
Lots of good points here that I ignored in my post. Definitely agree college is a social endeavor and a journey of personal development if you do it right.

I’ve just seen a few too many people that didn’t choose a marketable major or more importantly, didn’t have a good plan for how they would use their degree to get their career started.

Reactions: goldmom

fsufool

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
Lots of good points here that I ignored in my post. Definitely agree college is a social endeavor and a journey of personal development if you do it right.

I’ve just seen a few too many people that didn’t choose a marketable major or more importantly, didn’t have a good plan for how they would use their degree to get their career started.
The other issue is demographics. This cohort coming of age is the smallest since WW2. Not dramatically so, but coming off the working span of the boomers, as the boomers retire, there aren't enough new workers to take their place. So, graduates will enter the most wide open job market since the early boomers. There are going to be some serious changes in the job market going forward. Its going to be a job seeker's market.

Latest posts