ADVERTISEMENT

Food Prices

Not really. You should see my gas bill after we took the motorhome all the way to JAX and back at 7.5 mpg. Gas was around 4.59 most everywhere.

Reactions: Random_John
Have you adjusted your food shopping and choices because of price increases?

Please don’t make this thread political because it will disappear and I’ll be in hot water ... again.
Just more reason to eat at Waffle House. Our profits are being hugely squeezed — like everyone else’s — but we are not (yet) passing along the price increases to the consumer. Bon appetite (for now).

Please don’t make this thread political because it will disappear and I’ll be in hot water ... again.
Yes and No. We continue to limit our eating out as when we do we are shocked at the increase cost over pre-Covid times. But, that means we are purchasing differently, with more seafood, steaks, etc. to cook at home. In the summers we purchase locally grown vege's so no change there.

Kinda reminds me of Reggie Jackson. The straw that stirs the drink. A Manhattan, of course.

We've had to adjust everything. I own a bread route for Flower Baking Company and with the price increase of fuel it is killing us. I have to fill up every two days and am paying out the hind end for it. My route is almost paid for in about a year or I would be selling it and starting a new career.

Chinese owned Smithfield just closed a plant in CA due to "high operational costs." That isn't going to help supply.
I believe that is the plant they bought from Oscar Mayer. It’s a very old facility near the center of LA and when Oscar Mayer was acquired by Kraft it went up for sale. 1800 workers are being given opportunities to move to any of their other plants.

I'm still purchasing the same but eating out a lot less. However, that's been the case ever since Covid. I would normally rather smoke a brisket or pork butt anyhow than go out.
I eat out less as well but not because of Covid. Its become such a pain to deal with the added crowds and BS from the restaurants about staff shortages ect... Its just easier to stay home. It was nice right after everything opened back up and folks were still scared. Less people out and about.

I eat out less as well but not because of Covid. Its become such a pain to deal with the added crowds and BS from the restaurants about staff shortages ect... Its just easier to stay home. It was nice right after everything opened back up and folks were still scared. Less people out and about.
Yeah it's not a Covid related issue for me either. After everything opened back up for dining I still went out less than pre-Covid. Still enjoy going out for a meal but a lot of times just easier to invite some friends over have everyone cook something and drink for free out back and watch basketball/baseball/hockey.

We made changes to our diet last year. We try to eat more of a mediterranean diet. And we cut out bread. However, we were still shopping at Publix and making the switch to try Whole Foods. Needless to say we are going back to Publix and (hold your nose) Walmart.

Did I mention it took $83 to fill my car yesterday?

We made changes to our diet last year. We try to eat more of a mediterranean diet. And we cut out bread. However, we were still shopping at Publix and making the switch to try Whole Foods. Needless to say we are going back to Publix and (hold your nose) Walmart.

Did I mention it took $83 to fill my car yesterday?
FYI WalMart is the biggest seller of organic foods. And their prices aren’t much better than Publix anymore.

Whole Foods = Whole Paycheck

Aldi has good specials but their beef products are not great. Not very flavorful.

Winn Dixie has better specials than Publix. And their member price breaks are still good.

Our grocery habbits have not change very much. I was fortunate to have received two 10% raises this year. However, I just got my blood labs back and my cholesterol is really high. Now, my shopping will change.

FYI WalMart is the biggest seller of organic foods. And their prices aren’t much better than Publix anymore.

Aldi has good specials but their beef products are not great. Not very flavorful.

Winn Dixie has better specials than Publix. And their member price breaks are still good.
Winn Dixie’s filthy stores are the subject of some of John Morgan’s commercials. A pox on both of those houses.

Last edited:

Thank you for another riveting tour down culinary road.

They are definitely an issue here in DFW area. You just have to cherry pick on deals with the likes of Tom Thumb, Kroger, etc. and supplement with Wal Mart. You just need to be disciplined and not get lazy and it's not as big a hit.

They are definitely an issue here in DFW area. You just have to cherry pick on deals with the likes of Tom Thumb, Kroger, etc. and supplement with Wal Mart. You just need to be disciplined and not get lazy and it's not as big a hit.
1a0961.jpg

I believe that is the plant they bought from Oscar Mayer. It’s a very old facility near the center of LA and when Oscar Mayer was acquired by Kraft it went up for sale. 1800 workers are being given opportunities to move to any of their other plants.
Wow!

ADVERTISEMENT