ADVERTISEMENT

For the golfers: Jordan Spieth?

divinnole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I have been a JS fan ever since he showed up and started owning the game as a tour rookie. I like the way he could dominate a course without having a bombers game. I like the way there is no doubt about how he is feeling about his game without acting like a jerk on the course. I have a cousin who works with the PGA and says he is as nice of a guy as there is on tour.

But I am starting wonder if he is just have some mental struggles with his game right now, or is he another David Duval who looked for a few years like he would re-write the record books then flamed out. I am hoping it is a case of just struggling with his game and not a Duval case. I think he is one of the bright young stars that have made golf enjoyable to watch again.

Spieth let his putting woes go to his head and that has effected the rest of his game. He's shown flashes of turning it around this year, but can't avoid minimizing his mistakes after he plays a hole poorly.

I agree with the putting woes. But I also think at the end of the 2017 season in the FedX championship when he was in a playoff with Dustin Johnson. On the first hole of the playoff JS hit a nice 315 yard drive on a long par 4. DJ flew him by 80 yards. JS had a long 7 iron and hit it 20' from the pin. DJ hit a gap wedge to within 5'. Spieth worked in the offseason on getting longer off the tee. I think while he gained length off the tee he also lost a lot of accuracy. That combined with the putting woes has led to his current struggles IMO.

Reactions: cmanole
Golfers a lot of times do swing changes. Spieth is no exception and his game is no where near what it was just a couple of seasons ago. His claim to fame also was his ability to can 25 footers and longer better than anyone else. The golf gods are sort of evening that out now.

Reactions: NoleinATL
Jordan's our guy too...my wife is always asking what happened to his game recently (well, in 2018 through the present). I tell her that, if I knew the answer(s), we'd cover some numbers...hopefully he'll figure it out. I'll have to share your tidbit with her, divin - makes sense...still, I can't not pick him when he's in the field...something's gonna give someday, sometime, somewhere...maybe...:D

The bulk may have been a factor , but the biggest change in Spieth's game is he is no longer automatic on the green. That is a going to be tough to fix, and you knew it was a problem in his mind when he changed putters during fall of 17.
To get back to top 5 Jordan he has to find his putting stroke.

As to David Duval
I like Duval on golf channel, provides good commentary and argues with Chamblee often

I agree with the putting. I think he needs 2 good tourneys in a row where he puts good for all 8 rounds. Maybe not to the point he is draining 30' putts all the time but where he is near 100% inside of 5'. If that could happen I think we see him return to where he is a factor in a lot of tourneys. I really think he is good for the game and has huge fan following.

Some of these guys make the mistake of listening to other people and try to change their game because of it. When they play bad it can get in their head and they have a hard time getting out of it. Bernhard Langer for one and Tiger (so far) for two are the only two I can think of to go through some major breakdowns and get through to the other side. Golf is a funny game. When you play bad you think you'll play bad forever and when you play good you think you'll play good forever. It ebbs and flows and you have to learn to roll with it and keep grinding regardless of the results you see on the scorecard...

Some of these guys make the mistake of listening to other people and try to change their game because of it. When they play bad it can get in their head and they have a hard time getting out of it. Bernhard Langer for one and Tiger (so far) for two are the only two I can think of to go through some major breakdowns and get through to the other side. Golf is a funny game. When you play bad you think you'll play bad forever and when you play good you think you'll play good forever. It ebbs and flows and you have to learn to roll with it and keep grinding regardless of the results you see on the scorecard...
To borrow a lyric from Depeche Mode, it's a lot like life.

Reactions: cmanole
I thought he going to make it at least to the quarter finals at the Dell. I am thinking he may need to look to change swing coaches or find a good sports psychologists. He was never one of the big drivers, but he was one of the most accurate. Now he is a little longer but I swear I have rounds where I hit more fairways than he does anymore.

SSSHHH! Liz - don't jinx him...;)
tumblr_p8h81tXQ5i1vr8uaqo1_400.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT