ADVERTISEMENT

For those living in Tallahassee, any opinion on Florida State University School (Florida High)?

NoleOne

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 24, 2001
Is it a good middle school? Good high school?

What are the good and bad things about the school? Does it have a good reputation overall?

Thanks in advance.

Both of my daughters went to FL High. In my opinion it was better before it was moved to Southwood but it’s still a good school.
Moving to Southwood gave it better facilities but made it a bit more far flung depending on where you live.
You have to provide your own transportation. If you live in or near Southwood no worries.
We liked the continuity of the K-12 concept.
Now my youngest has been out for eight years so I can’t really comment on how it is now.
I think you could do a lot worse though.

Hard to get in, very hard. From what I hear even people that live in Southwood have a hard time getting in. Provides a different experience though being one school vs. going to elementary, middle, then high school.

If you live in that part of town it's the best option. We live north of there and we didn't consider it because our closer schools are at least as good

Agree with the poster that said it lost a lot when FSUS moved to Southwood. For awhile Florida High was a great school, the teachers really loved working there and the school had a great sense of community.

Can't comment on how it is now, just heard it's not quite the same since the move to Southwood.

My son went there from K5 to 7th grade.

Some things I noticed:

The kids behave. It is tough to get in, so the parents ensure their kids behave.

The older kids look out for the younger kids, which is fostered by the school. Older kids will read to/with the younger kids, for example. Older kids remember when they were younger, so treat them more like little brothers and sisters, than someone to pick on.

It is a research school. The student body is a reflection of the state's demographics. So, the school isn't predominantly one race or rich or poor. I think that, combined with being with older/younger kids and being able to go through school from K5 through high school graduation makes for a unique situation that allows them to be better adjusted to the world around them post high school.

The facilities are nice. They incorporate technology into the classroom. They try different learning techniques/programs.

My son never complained about other students or any of his teachers. Before he started they had a principal who, from what I heard from teacher friends, wasn't a good guy, but he is long gone.

It is a smaller school, but I think that is to its advantage. If I has stayed in Tallahassee, I would have preferred FSUS to any of the other schools in Tallahassee for the reasons listed above.

It may not be a perfect school, but I don't think there are any, so I was pretty happy with what FSUS had to offer. Hope that helps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT