FSU 65 GT 76 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Bill From Tampa

Veteran Seminole Insider
Apr 1, 2002
FSU 65 GT 76 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good

RaiQuan Gray with a team high 19 points, 17 of which coming in the second half. Unfortunately he was the only FSU player in double digits.

In a game where the offense struggled, it is clear when Scottie Barnes is in the game, things go a lot better. When Barnes had to sit in the first half with two fouls, the Seminole offense just looked completely out of sync. With Barnes in the game, his presence created opportunities for other players. He finished with 5 assists.

It could have been worse as GT missed numerous open shots in the first half. The Jackets were also just 2-12 (17%) from the arc. Of course FSU was not much better shooting just 2-8 (25%) from distance.

Leonard Hamilton did not seem particularly upset or disappointed with his team's performance in that he did not feel it was a lack of effort. Just one of those nights where the team was out of sync, the ball getting stuck, and not the same pop in their step. As he often says after losses, you move on and hope the team learns from the loss.

The Bad

10-3 overall, 6-2 ACC and an end to the five game winning streak. The 'Noles trailed at the half for the first time this season, 33-26. It was down hill from there. The team never could shrink the deficit below that seven point margin.

A whole lot of missed point blank layups as the ball took a lot of bounces that went Tech's way. It appeared there were a number of shots notably from outside that were quite early into the possession. For example Nate Jack's three from above the key with the Seminoles trailing just 20-18. I do not recall seeing him at all after that (he played just 4 minutes).

Turnovers. Too many of them. At least they were balanced though with 10 in each half. That was a season high and led to 22 points for the Jackets.

Jose Alvarado leads the ACC in steals. He put that skill on display with 5 thefts.

The defensive schemes of GT seemed to really throw FSU off balance. A mixture of man, 2-3 zone, and 1-3-1 zone a few times contributed greatly to a lack of ball movement by the Seminole offense.

The fact that FSU was beaten by just seven players. And it really was more like six as those two subs played 5 and 15 minutes.

After being very good from the line for most of the season, the Seminoles were a poor 14-23 (61%). But despite missed close in shots, the 'Noles finished 43% from the floor improving greatly in the second half from their 34% average in the first period.

A thoroughly forgettable game for MJ Walker with 8 points and 1 rebound before fouling out with seven plus minutes remaining. With the leading scorer on the bench, you knew it was over.

The Ugly

If the defensive game plan was to minimize Tech's big three as much as possible, that was an epic failure. Alvarado, Michael Devoe, and Moses Wright scored 21, 19, and 23 respectively.

With FSU needing a strong start to the second period, instead they gave the ball away three times in the first 2:19.

When you had plays like Malik Osbourne missing a slam dunk, or a cross court pass from Rayquan Evans to Wyatt Wilkes that instead sailed behind Wilkes and OB, or the alley oop pass to where there was no one to alley oop to, you knew this was not going to be a "W" for the Seminoles.

Bottom line, Georgia Tech is a better team than their now 8-5 record would indicate. It was a game that certainly concerned me.

Up Next

FSU continues its four game road trip by traveling to sunny and warm Massachusetts to take on Boston College. The Eagles are 3-10, 1-6 on the season and have not played since January 16th with four consecutive games postponed due to the virus. Their lone conference win was over Miami, 84-62.

DisneyDave

Contributor
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2007
Like the coach said, hopefully they’ll learn from this one. It’s just so frustrating. They are so much better than they showed tonight. Give credit to Georgia Tech though. They really really really wanted this game badly and even when their player taunted our bench, we had no fire or even an angry reply.

NoleLizards

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jul 23, 2004
Starting with the very first possession, I can't remember us missing so many gimmes.

Bill From Tampa

Veteran Seminole Insider
Apr 1, 2002
BFT. How did you condense "the Bad" down? There were heaps and heaps
to choose from. I felt like we were in trouble just 10 minutes or so into the
game. Maybe I'm psychotic or something. 😬😬

If I listed everything I had in my notes that could be classified as "bad" the GB&U would have been a novel with the length somewhere around the length of War and Peace.

CC0492

Seminole Insider
Apr 1, 2002
Well I had a feeling the BC game would be cancelled, but due to weather and flights being grounded in the Northeast and not Covid.

Oh well, 2 weeks of no games will surely put the guys out of the top 25 thanks to the goofy AP poll we are forced to suffer with. It takes 5 dominating wins to get back in, 1 loss to drop, and now the team will disappear altogether after missing 3 games. The Fighting Hamiltons deserve better treatment than that. Let's hope they come back hot just like the last time!

Bill From Tampa

Veteran Seminole Insider
Apr 1, 2002
I was thinking the last couple of days that it was iffy that the game would be played. But more so due to the weather. I was surprised when BC said they will play despite just 4 scholarship players being available.