FSU 79 Pitt 72 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Bill From Tampa

Veteran Seminole Insider
Apr 1, 2002
FSU 79 Pitt 72 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good

13-3 overall, 9-2 ACC. Florida State was 1-9 all time at Pittsburgh. Make that 2-9. The 'Noles prior to the game were 1-2 on the road. Make that 2-2.

FTs. That was the difference in the game. Both teams made 26 baskets and 4 each from the arc. But FSU borrowed Pitt's strategy of attacking the rim and drawing fouls. The 'Noles converted 23-29 (79%) from the stripe especially in the last minute to Pitt's 16-22. Credit RayQuan Evans who made 4 of 5 from the stripe in the last 44 seconds. Held scoreless the last two games, Evans finished with 12 points making only one basket. But his driving the ball to the basket paid off sending him to the line where he was 10-12 for the game.

Players of the game: Once again stats stuffer RaiQuan Gray doing everything on the floor scoring 16 points (6-12), 8 rebounds, and 2 steals. Malik Osbourne once again getting the start and providing a spark with 12 points and 9 boards. The two combining 17 rebounds helped FSU edge Pitt 46-39 on the boards.

Also in double figures was Scottie Barnes with 11 points, 6 boards and 3 assists off the bench.

The Panthers down just 75-70 and 44 seconds left in the game inexplicably running off 19 seconds before attempting a shot. And a poor one at the, a three by Nike (not the company) Sibande.

Once again FSU's depth playing an important role with Leonard Hamilton playing ten while the Panthers essentially played just seven.

Notable plays: Anthony Polite's assist to Balsa Koprivica on a 3 on 1 break to open up an 11-6 lead. Sardaar Calhoun's steal at midcourt taking it the distance for the slam, 17-10 FSU. Barnes' no look pass to Tanor Ngom, 22-14. Calhoun's save while almost falling OB passing the ball up the floor to Polite for the driving layup plus the foul (OK, he missed the FT, can't have everything I guess). The two offensive rebounds on the same possession with Osbourne making it 57-51. Barnes with the blocked shot (or possibly a pass) at the arc, retrieving the ball himself and going coast to coast for the stuff. Barnes offensive board of his own miss converting the short floater and a 61-51 lead.

In other words, Florida State was able to build a ten point lead a couple of times. But Pitt was able to close it to a handful of points. The Seminoles however made key plays at important moments to hold off the Panthers on a floor they have had difficulty winning games.

Duke beating Virginia 66-65 pulling FSU even closer to the league leader Cavaliers trailing by just half a game.

The Bad

Coming into the game, Pitt's leading scorer and rebounder, Justin Champagne, had ten double double games. FSU as a team this season have just four. Make that 11-4 now (21 points, 10 boards). I'll take the final score however.

Memo to Ngom: When a long rebound is coming your way, step to the ball to cut down the distance so that an opponent does swoop in and get the ball instead. Oh, btw, that happened. The Pitt offensive rebound led to another possession that resulted in a three pointer for the Panthers.

Maybe I am wrong, but just standing there watching Sibande dribble around Evans and not even attempt to contest the layup just doesn't sit well with me as was the case with Barnes. The layup pulled Pitt to within eight, 61-53.

The Ugly

MJ Walker completely shutout with zero points (0-5). He had a reason though. Per Hamilton, Walker did not practice all week due to some tendonitis. BTW, he is still seven points shy of 1,000-in his FSU career. I incorrectly attributed him with crossing that threshold after the UVa game. Call that error on my part ugly as well

Three point shooting. For both teams who were a combined 8-31. That's 26% for those you keeping score at home.

Ngom missing a point blank slam dunk. Any time you miss that kind of shot, that qualifies as ugly.

Itheil Horton with THE easiest basket he will ever have as absolutely no Seminole defender was in the same area code as Horton was able to just nonchalantly lay the ball up and in.

Up Next

Florida State travels to Coral Gables to take on Miami. The Hurricanes announced recently that Chris Lykes is out for the season. The 'Canes also got blasted by Georgia Tech today. It was over at the half with Miami trailing 48-18. Tip off is at 8:30 and will be broadcast on the ACCN.

Reactions: NoleLizards

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
Thanks for a fun write up, BFT.
Call it a good road win at a place that has been bad to FSU over the years. Depth, baby, depth. Listening to Gene with brother Jim was fun.
Now, the ugly. He kinda bummed me out by suggesting this team will lose four big contributors at season’s end. MJ, is a senior, Barnes is likely a millionaire, but Jim suggests Turk and Balsa have grown up enough to step out as well.
Can you imagine what a senior year Balsa would have? He would be a national player of the year candidate...

62Nole

Seminole Insider
Wow, a whole lot of mistakes in my write up. It was late and I had just played a two as nd a half hour show of non stop songs. That is my excuse and I am sticking to it.
Guy from Tampa. Fine notification coming. Be sure put a first class stamp on the envelope. All fine money goes in the pot for a end of season Covid party. No masks allowed.

CC0492

Seminole Insider
Apr 1, 2002
It's Gameday! Miami is not good. Let's attack the bejesus out of them! GO NOLES!

FMFFM......aimed directly at duh u.

Latest posts