FSU 82 Pitt 67 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Discussion in 'FSU Sports Message Board' started by Bill From Tampa, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Bill From Tampa

Bill From Tampa Veteran Seminole Insider
    Expand Collapse

FSU 82 Pitt 67 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good

Redemption making up for that 63-61 loss on Nov 5th.

22-4 overall, 12-3 ACC, 63-3 and 21-0 at home, 13-2 when wearing the turquoise unis, and 19-1 when leading at the half (38-33).

Every scholarship player played and every scholarship player scored.

And speaking of the halftime lead, this showed the importance and how well Hamilton has developed his bench. Only two starters were in the books at the break with just 9 combined points. For the game it was a lopsided stat with FSU's bench outscoring Pitt's 53-15.

Pitt came into the game with just one ACC road win, UNC, but who doesn't beat UNC these days? Pitt leaves the DLTCC with just one road conference win.

With his two steals tonight, Trent Forrest moves into 25th all time in the ACC.

Welcome back Devin Vassell albeit a very quite game for FSU's leading scorer (3 pts).

A good shooting performance overall with FSU 50% from the floor and 41% from the arc.

The stars of the game. Patrick Williams with a game high 16 points and 4 rebounds. Anthony Polite with 10 pts and 6 boards. Balsa Koprivica with 7 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists. In addition he had some nice block outs.

My fav plays of the game. Name any basket by Williams with six of his seven baskets from point blank range as he muscled his way into the paint with authority. Balsa with back to back baskets to give FSU a 17-15 lead. (Psst, don't tell anyone he was in the lane far more than three seconds as he was calling for the ball on the second basket.) Forrest's "alley oop lob" that went in the cylinder instead. And I have got to include Wyatt Wilkes and his blocked shot. Got to mention it because you don't see them often from Wilkes as that was his second stuff on the season.

Let's see, trying to remember the last time I saw Hamilton call a zone defense. Nope, can't do it. It certainly threw Pitt off their game once FSU set up in it.

The Bad

Clearly MJ Walker did not like the mask (those first two FTs he missed were a clue) he was wearing to protect his stitches. Once he took it off at halftime, that is when he was able to score (7).

And speaking of MJ. Nice block in not giving up the easy basket. Next time can we do without the arm flexing and the technical foul?

FSU did well in holding Pitt's offense to 38% and a miserable 4-22 from distance. But once again as was the case in the Nov game (31 attempts), the 'Noles could not avoid fouling the Panthers sending them to the line 26 times converting 21. It kept Pitt in the game. For 3/4 of it anyway.

FSU is in a rut with turnovers. 16 for the game including two on the very first possessions. At least they were consistent with 8 in each half.

Despite a relatively easy win, Hamilton was not pleased with his team's execution and felt the team is just not hitting on all cylinders. Mentioned the turnovers already. I would add some defensive lapses that saw Pitt have wide open player on the baseline or under the basket for easy points.

That was no 9,014 in actual attendance as announced.

The Ugly

After Forrest's three at the 18 minute mark of the first half, Florida State did not make its second basket of the game until 13:54 was remaining. Two baskets in 6:06 will not cut it against better competition.

Memo to Nate Jack: Bounce passes into the lane rarely work esp when there are two defenders present.

Up Next

FSU heads to Raleigh to take on NC State (16-9, 7-7) at 4 PM and to be aired on the ACCN. NCS, coming off a tough 71-68 loss to BC, will host Duke Wednesday night. My guess is their ACC record will be 7-8 after tomorrow night.

1 Bill From Tampa, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    NoleLizards likes this.
  2. Lanoles

Lanoles Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Prefer that NCS beats Duke on Wednesday and has a letdown against FSU instead of a disappointing loss to Duke and play lights out against FSU. Sometimes it can be more about the opponent's high's and low's than FSU's. When the bench can almost outscore the opponent tells you the starters didn't play well.

Bill From Tampa and NoleLizards like this.
  3. 62Nole

62Nole Seminole Insider
    Expand Collapse

Irmo, S.C. fr Wilm, N.C. fr Atlanta, fr Pomp Bch
    Cripes BFT. How many non-scholarship guys scored and how many?
    Let's have a little more in depth reporting. Okay?

Bill From Tampa and NoleLizards like this.
  4. CC0492

CC0492 Seminole Insider
    Expand Collapse

Finally happy to see the guys DOMINATE the opponent in the paint. When you show everyone you have the strength inside and the sharp-shooters outside, and play that pit bull defense, that's the making of a team that can make its run in March. That was fun to see. Watch out when this team starts hitting its peak!

Dat bench doe! Oh man, 2 thumbs up!

billanole likes this.
  5. Bill From Tampa

Bill From Tampa Veteran Seminole Insider
    Expand Collapse

Like I said, NCS will be 8-7 after the Duke game.

NoleLizards likes this.
  6. NoleLizards

NoleLizards Ultimate Seminole Insider
    Expand Collapse

Good call. Hopefully they spend the next three days reading/hearing how good they are.

7. Lanoles

Lanoles Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Table is now set if FSU can take care of Business. Then with a little help of another loss for Duke FSU could achieve their FIRST regular season ACC title. GO NOLES!

ACWSWOPPETS, NoleLizards and 62Nole like this.
  8. CC0492

CC0492 Seminole Insider
    Expand Collapse

Well don't be surprised if we struggle at NCSU and lose it at the end like the women did at Duke. I'm sure the ACC marching orders are in to make sure as many teams get in the tourney as possible. So any bubble teams playing a ranked opponent who is a lock for the tournament will be getting all the opportunity they can handle to secure a top 20 win.

I'm sure that's why one of the best players in the ACC, who plays on a bubble team, had more free throws than our entire women's team in Durham.

NoleLizards likes this.
  9. 62Nole

62Nole Seminole Insider
    Expand Collapse

Irmo, S.C. fr Wilm, N.C. fr Atlanta, fr Pomp Bch
    I mean what's knew?

I mean what's gnu?

Where is spellcheck?

9 62Nole, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Bill From Tampa likes this.
  10. ACWSWOPPETS

ACWSWOPPETS All-ACC
    Expand Collapse

Massive win! Really proud of the team and the effort! We have secured the double bye and hopefully can still win the regular season title. That would be huge!

62Nole likes this.