FSU 88 Miami 71 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Bill From Tampa

Veteran Seminole Insider
Apr 1, 2002
FSU 88 Miami 71 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good

14-3 overall, 10-2 ACC. With the win, Florida State has swept the season series with Miami for the third consecutive season. It is also the 7th straight win over the Hurricanes (a school record against the 'Canes) and improves the series record to I think 56-31. Or something close to that.

FSU once again efficient on offense shooting 54%.

The 19-2 run over a span of 5:18 in the first half that gave the Seminoles complete control of the game.

Player of the game: I would like to give it to Sardaar Calhoun who scored a career high 16 points on 7-9 shooting including a couple of highlight slam dunks. But I have to once again give it to RaiQuan Gray as he flirted with a triple double. 12 points, 13 rebounds, and 6 assists (some excellent interior passes from him). It is worth mentioning that Gray is the only Seminole to start every game so far this season.

Two other players in double figures, Balsa Koprivica with 13 (he flirted with a double double with 8 boards) and Anthony Polite with 12.

Scottie Barnes dishing out 8 assists. The team overall did a very good job in sharing and moving the with 21 assists on 37 baskets.

Points in the paint clearly in favor of FSU. I believe it was 52-28. Or something close to that.

The Green Vipers in once again this time with 2:10 left in the game.

Notable plays of the game: The tap away by Calhoun on the inbound pass where the ball ended up back to him and an easy uncontested layup, 12-6 FSU. Balsa with the timely block on what looked like a sure lay in by Miami. Polite with back to back threes and Barnes coast to coast layup with a defender hanging on him to make it 27-8, Balsa doing his impersonation of a guard on a dribble drive to the rim, 35-17. Later he did the same from the right elbow with a clear path to the rim for the emphatic slam, 67-46. Gray erasing the mistake on an inbound pass in swatting away a Isaiah Wong shot after the turnover. Gray again with the nice quick outlet pass to Barnes who dodged a defender swooping in for the layup, 57-37. Gray with the nifty underhand interior pass to Polite and the layup, 71-49. Quincy Ballard getting away with the walk on one of his four baskets. Balsa also with a nice inside pass going to Gray, 79-61. Will Miles with a nice pass to Ballard (his career high 8 points) for the final margin of victory, 88-71.

Virginia losing its third straight game (this time to NC State tonight) gives FSU a 2 games in hand in the loss column over the Cavs and Virginia Tech. The Seminoles control their destiny for back to back ACC regular season titles.

The Bad

Injuries. MJ Walker out with an ankle injury. Tanor Ngom also out with an injury. And then Malik Osbourne went down during the game turning his ankle on a rebound off a missed FT. He was assisted off the floor and did not return. After the game Leonard Hamilton was noncommittal as to his status for the next game. However, that just shows the depth FSU has where other players can step in and contribute significantly.

Just 10 minutes into the game, FSU had 5 turnovers. Miami had 12 points off those five miscues. The 'Canes at that time had a total of just 15.

Just wondering if anyone thought about guarding Wong who burned FSU for 29 points. That was 41% for Miami's scoring output.

Overall a good game especially in the first as you would expect when you are leading 49-28 and holding Miami to 29% shooting. The second half, not so much. Or as Hamilton said in postgame, there were moments in the second half where "play was less than desired".

You can usually count on a Virginia Cavalier game to end in less than two hours. Not tonight however as their game with NC State overlapped the FSU game by several minutes. It must have taken them 15 minutes to play the last 15 seconds what with the refs constantly going to replay. Paint drying.

The Ugly

With just six scholarship players available, Miami was just manhandled. Had it not been for Wong, it would have been a much worse drubbing. The total mismatch was reflected in the bench scoring, 57-5.

The Miami player who was basically falling OB along the baseline about 10 feet from the basket but took the shot anyway where the angle was from behind the backboard. It has been my observation over the years that those rarely go in. Good for FSU. Ugly to watch that shot however.

In the last 90 seconds of the first half, the Hurricanes on the same possession had four offensive rebounds. While FSU out-rebounded Miami 45-36 overall, the 'Canes had 17 offensive boards to 14 for the 'Noles.

Up Next

Florida State travels to the Dean Dome to take on UNC (14-8, 8-5) on Saturday (hey, I remembered to include the day this time) for a 4 PM tip. The game will be shown on ESPN. Earlier tonight the Tar Heels lost to Marquette 83-70 (their first win over NC since 1977) to make their record 3-3 over the last six games.

Reactions: NoleLizards

NoleLizards

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jul 23, 2004
North Carolina's down 10 spots to #44 in the NET rankings following last night's loss. I imagine that they'll be playing with some desperation this Saturday, so our mettle will definitely be tested...Hope our health has improved by then.

:Go Seminoles

Reactions: 62Nole