ADVERTISEMENT

FSU soccer routs Florida 5-0, takes fifth straight in series

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
Via FSU sports information:

The No. 10 Florida State soccer team (2-0-2) took down the University of Florida (2-4), 5-0, in Gainesville on Sunday night. With the win, FSU has now won each of the last five meetings, tying the longest winning streak in series history.

Florida State is now 47-16-10 on the road since 2013 and the Noles are unbeaten in their last 13 games, dating back to the last game of the regular season in 2021.

Florida State was the aggressor in the first half scoring one goal on nine shots, while the Gators only got off one shot. In the 12th minute, the Seminoles had a great chance on goal after a handball 19 yards out led to an indirect free kick. Jenna Nighswonger took the shot but hit the net's left side. Two minutes later in the 15th minute, the Noles had another good look, this one by Beata Olsson. Jody Brown made a run from the right side to the center of the field and slid a pass to Beata Olsson but the UF defense blocked her shot.

One minute later, Florida State would get on the scoreboard with Jenna Nighswongers' second goal of the season. Clara Robbins passed the ball to Olivia Garcia down the left side of the field. Garcia then would give it to Nighswonger at the top of the 18-yard box and she would one time it into the back of the net.

The Noles would get their second goal early in the second half. Olivia Garcia scored her first career goal in the 48th minute. Sophia Nguyen dropped it off to Jody Brown at the right side of the 18-yard box, Brown then crossed it across the face of the goal to Garcia who made it 2-0.

FSU expanded its lead in the 57th minute with Jody Brown’s first goal of the season. She received a pass from Nighswonger just inside the 18-yard box and snuck it right past the UF keeper, giving the Noles a 3-0 lead.

The lead grew to four in the 68th minute on a Florida own goal. Nguyen crossed the ball from the left side and a UF defender went to clear the pass but kicked it right into her own goal.

Beata Olsson capped things off in the 87th minute with her first goal of the season on a header that came off of a cross by Emma Bissell.

UP NEXT:

Florida State is back at home on Thursday to take on Florida Gulf Coast at 7 p.m. (ACC Network Extra).

I'm seeing offensive improvement.
You can tell that we are more aggressive offensively under Pensky.
I was wondering how his coaching philosophy translated and if the team has a “new look” that reflects his style. Thanks for sharing that.

For me watching this season will be about seeing how Pensky puts his stamp on the team.
It's also about managing my expectations. Even Mark K would not win a natty with this team IMO.
We lost too much talent.
Now I think Mark K would take this team to at least the elite 8 and maybe the CC.
So IMHO, if Pensky gets this group to the elite 8 it will have been a very good season.
Then it will be interesting to see his recruiting and transfer portal prowess!
Go Noles!

ADVERTISEMENT