ADVERTISEMENT

FSU Themed Man Cave

Randy, this is fantastic! As a fellow A/V enthusiast it makes me so happy to see a fellow Nole who is into the hobby.

Can you talk about the processing effort that went into your theater room? Type of DSP, did you sit down and custom tune the room yourself, what house curve did you target?

Youthman up in the house! Fantastic build. Love that you laid a tower speaker on its side rather than using one of the woefully undersized center channels to match the JBL 5 series.

Do you ever lack any firepower from the subs with having such a large open area off the theater?

Youthman up in the house! Fantastic build. Love that you laid a tower speaker on its side rather than using one of the woefully undersized center channels to match the JBL 5 series.

Do you ever lack any firepower from the subs with having such a large open area off the theater?
Sub bass is a funny thing. Wavelengths are so large that small changes in location present large variations in perception. I wonder if the shape of the room creates a sort of bass trap for sub bass frequencies.

Also, am I remembering correctly that he is using 3 subs - 2 up front and 1 in the rear, two different sub types? While the use of rear fill can be a good thing if tuned properly, I would personally advise against using using two different driver types for the same purpose such as in that scenario.

Reactions: GbrNole
Sub bass is a funny thing. Wavelengths are so large that small changes in location present large variations in perception. I wonder if the shape of the room creates a sort of bass trap for sub bass frequencies.

Also, am I remembering correctly that he is using 3 subs - 2 up front and 1 in the rear, two different sub types? While the use of rear fill can be a good thing if tuned properly, I would personally advise against using using two different driver types for the same purpose such as in that scenario.
he said he has a pair of new SVS PB2000 Pro's upfront and an original PB2000 moved to the rear. The pro is an upgrade but it's similar enough to not be a problem. It basically has a couple dB stronger output across the deep frequencies and a more sophisticated app-controlled amp. The pro will do about 108 dB at 20 hz and the original will do about 106 dB. Both will dip down to 15 hZ but the pro can do it inside allowable distortion limits (per CEA standard) whereas the original exceeds them. They both roll-off quickly below ~23 hz which i suspect is the box tuning frequency.

the rear placement for the original is ideal really since it's marginally lower output, but otherwise, the same curve should be easier to integrate as it is likely more nearfield. The biggest issue with multiple subs is the correct phase and time alignment. a good measurement mic and a DSP can work wonders in fixing that.

i have a similar dilemma with an open floor plan. my longest wall is 38' so room gain isn't even beginning until <15 hz (basically i have none). i'm running sealed subs (a lot of them) so it can get loud but not particularly deep with authority - down a solid 9 dB at 20 hz without adding DSP.

i'm currently pondering rebuilding my subs with vented enclosures to extend response below 30 hz (which would leave my wife, for the visibility, and my neighbors because they will hear it, hating me!) or adding some tactile transducers to fill in the ULF feeling at 20 hz and below.

Needs a bigger screen and less Chief Walmart.

Other than that not bad....
love of hate chief Walmart I absolutely envy the number of memorabilia throughout this build!

he did say that an AT screen is next up on his agenda and definitely has the space and throw (by the looks of it) to go much bigger. of course, my only thought was man, you could slide a pair of devastators or marty's in the buildouts where the JBL 580 towers are hidden! :D

of course, my only thought was man, you could slide a pair of devastators or marty's in the buildouts where the JBL 580 towers are hidden! :D
Well when you have the space available, you might as well use it. Let's make it happen Randy! ;)

Reactions: RHT 3 and GbrNole
he said he has a pair of new SVS PB2000 Pro's upfront and an original PB2000 moved to the rear. The pro is an upgrade but it's similar enough to not be a problem. It basically has a couple dB stronger output across the deep frequencies and a more sophisticated app-controlled amp. The pro will do about 108 dB at 20 hz and the original will do about 106 dB. Both will dip down to 15 hZ but the pro can do it inside allowable distortion limits (per CEA standard) whereas the original exceeds them. They both roll-off quickly below ~23 hz which i suspect is the box tuning frequency.

the rear placement for the original is ideal really since it's marginally lower output, but otherwise, the same curve should be easier to integrate as it is likely more nearfield. The biggest issue with multiple subs is the correct phase and time alignment. a good measurement mic and a DSP can work wonders in fixing that.

i have a similar dilemma with an open floor plan. my longest wall is 38' so room gain isn't even beginning until <15 hz (basically i have none). i'm running sealed subs (a lot of them) so it can get loud but not particularly deep with authority - down a solid 9 dB at 20 hz without adding DSP.

i'm currently pondering rebuilding my subs with vented enclosures to extend response below 30 hz (which would leave my wife, for the visibility, and my neighbors because they will hear it, hating me!) or adding some tactile transducers to fill in the ULF feeling at 20 hz and below.
There is just so much that could be different about two drivers that I could never feel comfortable using two different ones for the same application. I'm not sure about the differences between those two specifically, but I would bet based on what you told me that T/S parameters, diaphragm construction and materials, etc. would lead to two very different sounds when the same signal is supplied. It can throw off an entire system imo, but that's just me being picky 😁

I really want to know more about the processing effort put into this system. That can take things from good to great, or from average to awesome if done right.

ADVERTISEMENT