ADVERTISEMENT

Game of Thrones: Season 7, Episode 6 - Beyond the Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesClaypool

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jan 12, 2004
Tallahassee
"I've been workin' on the chain gaaayang." Was that not the dumbest thing you've ever seen? The Army of the Dead just happens to have FOUR extremely heavy duty chains at the ready, just in case they need to pull some heavy weight?! Dumb, dumb, dumb! (And I know...it's all fantasy. If you can believe in Dragons why can't you believe in this, blah blah blah) The Night King could've dived in after the dragon though, touched him, and come out of the water riding him! So many better ways that could've and should've gone.

Otherwise, well I'm still digesting what I saw, but safe to say the Night King's forces just became a bit more formidable.

Loved when the Hound dropped an f-bomb after he realized what he'd done by throwing the rock on the ice.

RIP Thoros. Pretty stupid to have him killed by a dead bear, but oh well. He wasn't important to the story anyway from what I could tell.

RIP Benjen. I guess Bran will explain to Jon who/what he saw when Benjen saved him, since Jon has to be pretty damn confused right now.

Dany clearly in love w/Jon now. She was more upset over nearly losing him than she was over losing one of her "children."

Arya and Sansa are just weird. It feels contrived. Stupid even. I don't like it.

Last edited:
Well... There's Dragons Zombies a guy who was dead for a week and came back to life a girl who can't get killed by fire among other things.... So I would say 4 big chains is not that far fetched.

I like you thought it would've been much cooler if he'd just jumped in and came flying up or did his Raise his hands thing and the Dragon surfaced from the depths.

Right now dude is basically unstoppable his 1 Dragon probably going to be more ferocious than Danys 2 put together with him leading it and everyone it burns or freezes (not sure how that'll work) will immediately join his ARMA.... Yeah I think he's just been landed the biggest Nuke known to man with the best delivery system ever

Reactions: LesClaypool
Yeah, Dany is in love, her telling him that she can't have children was some serious foreshadowing.

We laughed at chains as well, Benjen was also a little funny. But again, I like the fast pace. They set up so many storylines the first 5 seasons, now it's now time to start cashing in on me.

Great freaking episode though, little bummed next week is already the season finale.

Will Cersi care when they present her a Wight? She doesn't seem the type to care.

I agree that Arya and Sansa feels extremely forced. I'm over it already.

Gendry, rowing and running Champ. Next up, Ice Wall climbing.

Kill off LF already.

For those who read the books and/or blogs.

What is the difference in the skull and bones pirates of the Caribbean walking dead walkers, and the blue eyed pale faced white walkers?

When Jon kills a baby blue eyes guy with his sword they turn to dust, but when he hits skull and bones they just break in half.

How's that all work?

So now it's clear the walker war ends by killing the ice king. Might have been an idea to make a few arrows out of dragonglass back when Jon was playing in a mountain of it. The king was certainly in range during the battle.

Ice dragon = awesome. And yes, the chains were like (huh?), they should have just used like 20 ropes and there would be no comments on it.

The stark girls are annoying, and yes LF's time is running out.

Very glad they didn't have big red drown and I chuckled as he was telling the hound that Breinne is the one.

Reactions: dmm5157
I had the same thought about the chains when I was watching, but maybe they got them from Hardhome. That's the only place nearby that would have ship chains that I can think of.

A lot of seeds planted about succession and babies with Dany. Do we know which dragon was turned? It looked like Viserion. I would be cool to have Drogon kill Viserion just the way there namesakes did.

It was weird that the wights were attacking the captured one almost as if the Night King was aware of their plan and was trying to stop it.

The Arya/Sansa stuff is stupid. Its annoying to watch how dumb those two are. I though Arya was supposed to be good at telling whether or not someone is lying. I was hopeful when Sansa asked where the note came from and thought she was putting together Littlefingers involvement, but then nothing came of it. Hopefully, this is put to bed next episode and we can have Arya kill Littlefinger.

So it looks like we will have a possible Clegane brothers reunion next episode.

Coming to the realization that the ending of the show is going to be bad. And I don't mean what actually happens, but more how its presented. I understand that it would be hard to live up to the standards of the first 6 seasons and eventually the pace had to pick up. But things just feel so forced and rushed now. Too many mistakes, dumb choices, and predictable plots.

Arya and Sansa are just weird. It feels contrived. Stupid even. I don't like it.

Ugh...yeah, they've really botched this up...they're in danger of ruining two characters here.

The thing is, they're playing this conflict out between them because it suits Little Finger's story...but if you turn around and look at it from either woman's perspective...it doesn't make any sense.

What's Arya's game here? Kill Sansa? Does she want to rule Winterfell? She hasn't even seen Jon yet...she doesn't know what kind of king he is anyway.

I get that there's always been Arya vs. Sansa tension and all, and playing that up is one thing. But what does Arya get by undermining Sansa? How does that advance her mission?

It just makes Arya look like kind of an idiot, after all her training to be cold blooded and emotionless.

I don't have a lot of positive things to say. I didn't get much sleep last night, so I can't really put together a coherent post right now. But I'm unhappy with the show right now. More to come when I get some sleep.

Reactions: peezy28
I'm very happy with the season too, but some of it is funny.

I was watching Naked Gun this weekend and this scene came on, made me think of GoT. i know....naked and gun and GoT, but I did.

Go to the 1:45 mark.

I got the impression that getting to the undead was a long arduous journey and the return trip was simple quick jog or horseback ride. A couple of minutes in that water and you would have a hard time climbing out and would easily die soon after of hypothermia. I guess this is why the chains did not bother me too much.

I think that since there isn't much source material left from GRRM, the show runners' in-ability to write is starting to show. They are playing to the audience's wishes and giving us what they think we want, more dragons and zombies, and less of what made this show great in the first place, strong characters and intriguing story. I agree the whole Arya/Sansa storyline makes no sense, at this point I'm hoping that Arya is playing a different game all together and is looking to make Sansa a stronger leader as well as get rid of Littlefinger. But I think that is just wishful thinking. Dan and Dave don't seem to understand how to write good character drama.

I think that since there isn't much source material left from GRRM, the show runners' in-ability to write is starting to show. They are playing to the audience's wishes and giving us what they think we want, more dragons and zombies, and less of what made this show great in the first place, strong characters and intriguing story. I agree the whole Arya/Sansa storyline makes no sense, at this point I'm hoping that Arya is playing a different game all together and is looking to make Sansa a stronger leader as well as get rid of Littlefinger. But I think that is just wishful thinking. Dan and Dave don't seem to understand how to write good character drama.

I think you may be right.

I got the impression that getting to the undead was a long arduous journey and the return trip was simple quick jog or horseback ride. A couple of minutes in that water and you would have a hard time climbing out and would easily die soon after of hypothermia. I guess this is why the chains did not bother me too much.

Yeah, I didn't find it as predictable as some, and didn't even think about the chains, but the timing really seemed sort of crazy. How long were they on the rock surrounded? I took it to be basically one night. So in that time...Gendry can sprint all the way back, they can write up a raven, the raven can get to Dany, Dany can gear up, and she can fly back and rescue them.

I'm far from an expert on the geography of this world...but if it was such a short flight...why didn't Jon just prove the Walkers to Dany by saying, "Let's hop on your Dragon and take a spin out there? I'll show you, and then we'll be back for dinner."

Was the walk out there in real time or something? Were they like, a mile out or something? Meaning the Walkers were a mile from the wall?

Essentially, if the Walkers were a mere Gendry sprint from the wall already, the whole plan seems even stupider. Seems like there's no time for what they're trying to do. But who knows, when they can now just bounce around in a couple hours here or there.

Yeah, I didn't find it as predictable as some, and didn't even think about the chains, but the timing really seemed sort of crazy. How long were they on the rock surrounded? I took it to be basically one night. So in that time...Gendry can sprint all the way back, they can write up a raven, the raven can get to Dany, Dany can gear up, and she can fly back and rescue them.

I'm far from an expert on the geography of this world...but if it was such a short flight...why didn't Jon just prove the Walkers to Dany by saying, "Let's hop on your Dragon and take a spin out there? I'll show you, and then we'll be back for dinner."

Was the walk out there in real time or something? Were they like, a mile out or something? Meaning the Walkers were a mile from the wall?

Essentially, if the Walkers were a mere Gendry sprint from the wall already, the whole plan seems even stupider. Seems like there's no time for what they're trying to do. But who knows, when they can now just bounce around in a couple hours here or there.
Yea the time lapse stuff is way out of hand but I try not to think about it and just enjoy the show for what it is. It's almost over, after all.

spoilers.gif

Leaked end-of-arc details....

- Bobby Bacala is mistakenly thought not to be a moron and gets shot to pieces while buying himself a toy

- Anthony Junior has a mental breakdown when notified he has to leave the sanctity of his bed and go hide from killers.

- Butch rolls over on Phil after being threatened one too many times, greenlighting his boss’s execution. Butch won’t divulge Phil’s location on Long Island, but FBI Agent Harris points Tony in the right direction while shacking up with a coworker that is waaaay too hot for him.

- We watch Tony’s gorgeous daughter struggle to park a self-parking car

- Tony has the audience whacked while we are distracted by a guy in a Members Only jacket

Don’t stop believin’…hold on to that feeling

I've noticed that issue pretty much the moment the story parted ways with the books. The fans seem to like the shows more now since the HBO writers give the fans more of what they want (battles and dragons wooo!) but the story just doesn't seem to be quite as gripping and the character depth is lacking.

Last edited:
Ugh...yeah, they've really botched this up...they're in danger of ruining two characters here.

The thing is, they're playing this conflict out between them because it suits Little Finger's story...but if you turn around and look at it from either woman's perspective...it doesn't make any sense.

What's Arya's game here? Kill Sansa? Does she want to rule Winterfell? She hasn't even seen Jon yet...she doesn't know what kind of king he is anyway.

I get that there's always been Arya vs. Sansa tension and all, and playing that up is one thing. But what does Arya get by undermining Sansa? How does that advance her mission?

It just makes Arya look like kind of an idiot, after all her training to be cold blooded and emotionless.

Seems like Araya will kill LF, probably in the season finale however, what should be a major death will seem like whatever at this point based on how they have used him this season.

We haven't gotten the Sansa line, "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives." yet have we? I remember it being in the promo.

I really overthought how important Bran would be in this season considering his journey over the last few seasons, becoming the Three-eyed Raven, the sacrifices Jojen and Hodor made, etc.

Reactions: nynole1
I've noticed that issue pretty much the moment the story parted ways with the books. The fans seem to like the shows more now since the HBO writers give the fans more of what they want (battles and dragons wooo!) but the story just doesn't seem to be quite as gripping and the character depth is lacking.

I definitely think that is partly true but you also have to consider they are drastically speeding up the show. I also think that has a major role in the lack of character development.

Right now dude is basically unstoppable his 1 Dragon probably going to be more ferocious than Danys 2 put together with him leading it and everyone it burns or freezes (not sure how that'll work) will immediately join his ARMA.... Yeah I think he's just been landed the biggest Nuke known to man with the best delivery system ever
Agreed. How the hell are they going to stop him now?

Three drops of kings blood in a fire and a shard of dragon glass through the heart of the night king. Problem solved.
I guess. Sort of weird Sam and Jon both killed white walkers before and the wights didn't die (as far as we know). Now, all of a sudden, you take out a walker, they die...or at least some of them die.

I really overthought how important Bran would be in this season considering his journey over the last few seasons, becoming the Three-eyed Raven, the sacrifices Jojen and Hodor made, etc.
Bran probably sent Benjen to save Jon, even though it wasn't explicitly shown, but yea he's had a strangely unimportant role considering the things he knows.

Reactions: HulaNole
How can the wights pull a 10,000 lb dragon out of the bottom of a frozen lake but they can't beat down the door of the wall or tear the whole wall down for that matter? This whole zombie thing is turning out to be a disaster. The show will probably have a worse ending than Lost and Dexter combined...

What a bunch of complaining

I liked the dialogue of the A team as the hiked north.

You have to imagine they were on the island for several days, which allowed time for row row row your boat to get to the wall, then a raven, then Drogon arriving.

I do think the Arya / Sansa stuff is forced, but I imagine it will have a payoff.

Understanding the limit of episodes left, I am used to the pace. A lot of people complained at earlier seasons slow pace (Dany wandering around forever), can't please everyone

Edited to add- loads of people after last season posted pictures of an ice dragon as a possible spoiler. I think the "shock" value was diminished because of that.

Here is the thing... I was entertained... yes. Did it all feel stupid and did I go... "oh here we go again about 5 times". ... Yep. Again, I still watch it and I think by and large it has been a great series but I'm ready for it to be over.

I love the fast pace, it's way better than the alternative when all the sex and drunkenness is taken out.

I wonder if Jon and Dany bang considering we all know they are aunt and nephew. I mean, she is clearly hot for him; waiting at the wall for "just a bit longer", sitting by him while he slept ( I mean how physco is that), and then lastly, saying this right after he wakes up, "I want you to know I can't have babies"...:eek:...Run Jon, run!!!

Even though Dany is fine as all get out, she has the potential to be waaaaay to far down the crazy axis.

I'm curious where the writers take this relationship.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Agreed on many points. This season is starting to feel a bit shallow compared to some in the past. It definitely needed about three more episodes I think. There's two issues making them cut the character development down so much and move fast.

1. This has already been posted, but they're well past even GRRM's in depth notes on what is going to happen. So they primarily know the major plot pieces only and are having to wing it as best they can on the writing. Turns out, Martin is simply a God at character development (And not at all at actually getting things done).

2. Even if they could do all the character development of prior seasons, some of these scenes, especially with the dragons are apparently appallingly expensive to shoot. This may be the biggest show on tv, but they still have budgets.

Reactions: HulaNole
it feels shallow because it is rushed; it is rushed because there are only 7 episodes this season instead of the traditional 10. Also, there are hardly any new characters to introduce, and few to develop. So we bounce from event to event to event without learning anything about anyone.

Everyone seemed to enjoy Arya's brief visit with those nice Lannister soldiers. Scenes like that one are the casualties of the 7 episode season.

Also, the Night King throws his spear like he's Caitlyn Jenner in '76.....total BS. if he were really that strong he could just walk across the water and bitch-slap Snow, Hound, Giantsbane, and the rest into oblivion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT