ADVERTISEMENT

Good bye Publix, Hello Kroger

DanC78

Veteran Seminole Insider
Aug 29, 2003
I’m making the switch and I can’t believe it.

There is a new Kroger across the street from our publix. I checked it out yesterday and was in shock of how nice it was, with low prices, better selection, and some cool new conveniences, like:

A full bar...yes, they have a full functioning pub in the smack middle of the store. I don’t see myself drinking a few in the grocery store, but you have to admire their effort.

Beer and wine selection is very robust.

Meat section looks close to what you see at Wholefoods, not quite as nice, but very close.

It has a Starbucks

They give you a scanner while you shop. The scanner shows your total as you add items and allows you to bag and check out items without having to stand in a line. Once you are done shopping you simply scan credit card and leave, it’s a pretty sweet feature.

Lastly, they have a gas program similar to Winndixie where you get a discount. They also have a gas station in the parking lot with already low gas prices.

Haven’t checked out the deli with their fresh sandwiches, but they have boars head meats, so I couldn’t imagine it being too bad.

Anyhow, Publix is going to have to step it up in order to compete moving forward.

And did I mention they have a better selection and lower prices.

Reactions: cmanole
I’m making the switch and I can’t believe it.

There is a new Kroger across the street from our publix. I checked it out yesterday and was in shock of how nice it was, with low prices, better selection, and some cool new conveniences, like:

A full bar...yes, they have a full functioning pub in the smack middle of the store. I don’t see myself drinking a few in the grocery store, but you have to admire their effort.

Beer and wine selection is very robust.

Meat section looks close to what you see at Wholefoods, not quite as nice, but very close.

It has a Starbucks

They give you a scanner while you shop. The scanner shows your total as you add items and allows you to bag and check out items without having to stand in a line. Once you are done shopping you simply scan credit card and leave, it’s a pretty sweet feature.

Lastly, they have a gas program similar to Winndixie where you get a discount. They also have a gas station in the parking lot with already low gas prices.

Haven’t checked out the deli with their fresh sandwiches, but they have boars head meats, so I couldn’t imagine it being too bad.

Anyhow, Publix is going to have to step it up in order to compete moving forward.

And did I mention they have a better selection and lower prices.

Ingles which you mainly see in North Carolina and northern Georgia I’ve always liked better than Publix.

Reactions: TallyNole93
Castleberry and Bethelview? Wish I was close enough to shop at that one. I am stuck at the Grassland location and it is going downhill and really needs an upgrade.

Castleberry and Bethelview? Wish I was close enough to shop at that one. I am stuck at the Grassland location and it is going downhill and really needs an upgrade.

Sup dude!

Yes, it’s really incredibly nice, I was shocked.

Kroger > Publix?

INGLES > Publix?

Y'all shoot me your dealers' numbers. They're selling good stuff.
Haha...I don’t know about Ingles. We have close by as well. I only shop there for their pastries. They have this apple elephant ear thing that is da bomb!

This Kroger is much better than any Publix I’ve been in, it’s brand new, just opened a couple weeks ago.

I'll admit that Kroger is making nice stores and definitely have forward thinking ideas for the customer experience. Still not enough for me to convert, but I don't begrudge your decision.

Reactions: Urban Cryer
Meh, I find I end up going to both grocery stores here, Kroger and Tom Thumb, to get everything I want. Sometimes Kroger's produce is better and sometimes Tom Thumb is better. Our Kroger does have a Sushi Chef making sushi like the upscale Central Market here does.
I don't find their selection any better than other supermarkets.

I can't bring myself to shop at the Kroger near me, which is walking distance while the Publix is a 5 minute drive. I can never find anything there, and the clientele reminds me of shopping at Wal-Mart...too low rent for a Locker Roomer.

Reactions: 62Nole
I can't bring myself to shop at the Kroger near me, which is walking distance while the Publix is a 5 minute drive. I can never find anything there, and the clientele reminds me of shopping at Wal-Mart...too low rent for a Locker Roomer.

The Kroger before this new that was built was similar. I refused to as well

Reactions: Random_John
Walmart Groceries everyone. They have Fresh Produce and people to stare at!

walmart-615cs080212.jpg

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
I won't go to the local Kroger, Publix is way closer and much better overall. But Kroger did open up one of those uber stores in Cartersville, GA. Still not going to drive up there though. Did swing by it to try and check it out during their Grand Opening event with the Budweiser Clydesdales, but the locals congregated there like Winston was giving away free cigs at a Nascar race circa 1994.

Here's a container of ice cream my wife picked up from our local Kroger last week. Last. Week.

39569894_10155465606905614_795126101507571712_n.jpg

Haha...I don’t know about Ingles. We have close by as well. I only shop there for their pastries. They have this apple elephant ear thing that is da bomb!

This Kroger is much better than any Publix I’ve been in, it’s brand new, just opened a couple weeks ago.

It’s Ingles deli and bakery that sells it for me, they are both miles better than Publix. Plus it’s the only place to get livermush/“Piedmont Pate” which is a childhood food of mine from NC.

What kind of germs live in frozen ice cream?[
Listeria for one. Zero degrees will knock it back but it sure won’t kill it. Optimal growth can occur at 37-40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Selling ice cream a year past best by date goes beyond lax rotation and well into negligence.

Their sandwiches suck, publix’s are damn good, I’m keeping my loyalties.

I have only been to one Kroger, it was called City Market in Colorado( owned by Kroger). I loved it. If they are all like that then I would love to shop there.

What kind of germs live in frozen ice cream?

Bacteria can live in a freezer.

For example, researchers from Al Azhar University tested 100 ice cream samples from ice creams sold in the Gaza region in 2013. They found that 42 tested positive for fecal coliform and 37 samples tested positive for Klebsiella species of bacteria. Klebsiella species can cause respiratory and digestive ailments.

yummy!

All the Krogers by me are dirty and old. I will stick with Publix although there is s fairly new Aldi that has really good prices.

Reactions: osceola74
For 4 of the 6 years I was in undergrad and graduate school, I worked at Publix. That said, after 40 years in the Midwest, Kroger became my store. Out west, Kroger owns Smith's. We shopped there during our time in northern NV. We are now in NE FL, and I thought I would love being able to shop at Publix once again. I miss Kroger. Items at Publix are ridiculously over-priced. I had hoped when Winn-Dixie got into financial trouble that Kroger might buy them out. I gather Kroger has plans to move into the Florida market. When they do, I will happily shop there again.

What is “by-by”?

And you are in the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT