ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone ever gone back to school as an adult?

kc78

Seminole Insider
Nov 25, 2002
I'm almost 40 years old and decided to go back to school this year. I'm a little over 6 months into this. I'm doing an online program but the only time I have to really focus on it is after the kids are in bed at night (So I get started around 8:30 - 9:00 each night and wind up working to well after midnight most nights). I'm completely exhausted. Between working a more than full time job, being a parent to two children (Ages 10 and 3), and trying to be a halfway decent husband I feel like I'm burning the candle at both ends quickly and I'm pretty certain I'm being a terribly inattentive husband.

Is this just a grin and bear it thing for the next year or so or for any of you who have done so, or do you have any advice for trying to balance this all out much easier?

I went back after I retired from the Navy (had a year left for my Bachelors). Had to do at least one brick and mortar class a semester (8 weeks semesters) and was usually taking 2-3 classes total. It is what it is. Was doing the same as you, working full time (3am-11am at FedEx) then home for a nap before getting my son off the bus at 3PM each day, cooking dinner and spending a little time with the wife before heading off to bed about 8-9 each night besides the one class a week from 6-10 (boy did those nights working suck). Did all my online class work Sunday mornings.

It is the choice you have to make though if you want to get that degree. (well worth it once I got my new job 5 years ago making way more than I did in the military)

Last edited:
Could have the 10 year old take care of the 3 year old, afford you a little more time with Mrs. kc, and a little more time on course work.

Problem solved.

Could have the 10 year old take care of the 3 year old, afford you a little more time with Mrs. kc, and a little more time on course work.

Problem solved.
Surprise them with some new toys. They'll be so excited, they won't even notice the sound of the headboard banging against the wall in the next room.

Reactions: ggmike1992
Was married and working full time when I went back for my MBA. Would have been an entirely different ballgame if we had kids then. Graduated shortly before turning 33.

I had support from my employer as it was part of a LDP I was in at that time. It's a commitment though. I met every Tue night and weekends with my team for two years.

Problem solved.
Ha, if the 3 year old didn't wind up screaming bloody murder every time he and his brother play that might be an option.

Reactions: GoNolesTX
I went back to school twice as an adult. 2 years of college after HS then quit and worked as an electrician for 16 years. I went to school at the age of 31. Then went back to school at FSU age of 38. First time in college I did not do good. Skipped classes and partied. Second and third time through, I wanted to be there and my grades showed it. Honor rolls.

I'm almost 40 years old and decided to go back to school this year. I'm a little over 6 months into this. I'm doing an online program but the only time I have to really focus on it is after the kids are in bed at night (So I get started around 8:30 - 9:00 each night and wind up working to well after midnight most nights). I'm completely exhausted. Between working a more than full time job, being a parent to two children (Ages 10 and 3), and trying to be a halfway decent husband I feel like I'm burning the candle at both ends quickly and I'm pretty certain I'm being a terribly inattentive husband.

Is this just a grin and bear it thing for the next year or so or for any of you who have done so, or do you have any advice for trying to balance this all out much easier?

Yes, it's a grin and bear it kind of thing. I actually finished my undergraduate online and may soon go back for my MBA. That is a bit of an interesting subject though, as I've been with AT&T for nearly 19 years now, and I'm not certain how much of a benefit a graduate degree would be in my current situation. Admittedly though, I do realize that it would probably help immensely if I ever left my current job.

I finished while doing my best to stay sane while working full-time, and attempting to be a good husband to my outstanding wife and good father to my two boys, who were five and two at the time. I could not have done it without my wife's level of understanding. She's amazing.

I just turned 40 this year. Yes, it was amazingly difficult at times but just know you'll get through it, look back on it, and be glad you persevered. Very best of luck to you.

I did a second masters online a few years ago. Royal pain in the ass and a major time commitment but it was worth it. I'm actually batting around the idea of doing a doctorate and was already accepted to one program. Just not sure I want to go through all that right now with 2 toddlers.

Yes, it's a grin and bear it kind of thing. I actually finished my undergraduate online and may soon go back for my MBA. That is a bit of an interesting subject though, as I've been with AT&T for nearly 19 years now, and I'm not certain how much of a benefit a graduate degree would be in my current situation. Admittedly though, I do realize that it would probably help immensely if I ever left my current job.

I finished while doing my best to stay sane while working full-time, and attempting to be a good husband to my outstanding wife and good father to my two boys, who were five and two at the time. I could not have done it without my wife's level of understanding. She's amazing.

I just turned 40 this year. Yes, it was amazingly difficult at times but just know you'll get through it, look back on it, and be glad you persevered. Very best of luck to you.

I'm in the same boat. I never finished my Bachelor's degree and I've always regretted it. I've kicked around the idea of doing it for years and just never did. Had a bit of life events hit at the same time that convinced me it was now or never and also found out about a Florida program called Complete Florida that exists to help adults return to school. Through that program and the FRAG grant available to Florida residents I've been able to cover about 70% of the costs of returning to school.

If I survive the Bachelor's, then I hope to continue on to get my Master's. I'd really like to get into teaching again some day, even if it's just a class here and there at night or online, and that seems like a minimum requirement to do that.

My wife (no pics, unless you are friends with me on the Facebook), went back when my son entered 1st grade. She took classes here and there at TCC, and then transferred into FSU for the psychology program. She graduated last December at the ripe age of 48, now 49, she was accepted to the FSU School Psychology program which started this week. It has been hard, and this too will be challenging due to some required evening labs and courses. I am not sure I could have done it. It is a full time job and then have a family and then study/homework/etc.

Was married and working full time when I went back for my MBA. Would have been an entirely different ballgame if we had kids then. Graduated shortly before turning 33.

I had support from my employer as it was part of a LDP I was in at that time. It's a commitment though. I met every Tue night and weekends with my team for two years.
I did this too. My daughter was three weeks old when I finally graduated.

Yeah, I went back in my thirties with a full time job, hot wife ( camera is broke), and two kids. 3 or 4 a.m. was my go to time for homework, projects, papers, etc... before work. I also got really good at reading text books on the way over the mountain to school. Weekends were the other main time for study. I guess it was worthwhile. One thing it did for me was helped me manage time and also come to the realization that I am a very good student...wish a masters or or doctorate could happen someday.
Good luck, KFC. Hang in there.

Reactions: cmanole
I went back to school twice as an adult. 2 years of college after HS then quit and worked as an electrician for 16 years. I went to school at the age of 31. Then went back to school at FSU age of 38. First time in college I did not do good. Skipped classes and partied. Second and third time through, I wanted to be there and my grades showed it. Honor rolls.

If my math's right, you graduated from high school at 13?

Reactions: csklad and Gonolz
I got my masters while working full time (usually two classes a semester) and it was a pain. That was pre-marriage/kid. So, yeah, I can imagine it is a pain now. Honestly, I question why I did the masters program as it hasn't seemed to matter a ton.

I got my masters while working full time (usually two classes a semester) and it was a pain. That was pre-marriage/kid. So, yeah, I can imagine it is a pain now. Honestly, I question why I did the masters program as it hasn't seemed to matter a ton.
I figured it was so you could put M.S. or M.A. after your name in your email signature so people would know you're kind of a big deal.

I actually see people do that fairly regularly and I laugh every time.

I figured it was so you could put M.S. or M.A. after your name in your email signature so people would know you're kind of a big deal.

People at the state agency I work for do it all the time. I personally find it funny as well. There are some people with PhD's who are morons and some I know don't have a bachelor's that I am more than fine giving them an assignment.

I did it and it wasn't the time issue or age; but getting my first degree in criminology and then trying to get my second in Physical Therapy was a huge change. Criminology study now and then get honor role; science degree study everyday and never miss a class, hopefully get B's. Not to mention I should have done a little more research on what a PT degree gets you. It is not working with athletes and changing the sports world; but more working with old people. I lasted 2 semesters.

If the degree is a result of online classes taken when you're half asleep or on sundays while watching NFL- what is it really worth?

**ducks**

Reactions: RunRonnieRun

People who do that are douchebags and usually their "masters" is from an online school that is on par with typewriter academies.

I have an MBA and an MHA. The only place you'll see me flaunt those letters is on LinkedIn and that is strictly for exposure to recruiters or potential networking contacts.

I was fortunate to be able to retire at age 50; by age 50.5, I was bored to tears and went back to school to get a teaching certificate. Best move I ever made. I love the job, and I would never have had the patience for it when I was young.

Reactions: billanole

And usually at the bottom of their email signature you'll find the purple, italicized "Make it a great day!" or some other trite Facebooky bs.

Reactions: runkpanole
Was thinking Billy Madison or Rodney Dangerfield type back to school for some reason.

No...school bores the crap out of me...I'm sure that's not shocking to hear ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: SoddyNole
I was fortunate to be able to retire at age 50; by age 50.5, I was bored to tears and went back to school to get a teaching certificate. Best move I ever made. I love the job, and I would never have had the patience for it when I was young.
I have considered a teaching certicate. What grades or subject is your favorite?

Reactions: seminoleed

What are you studying?

I have considered a teaching certicate. What grades or subject is your favorite?

Bill, I teach 6th grade Social Studies. If you're really considering it, I recommend you try substitute teaching first to make sure it's to your liking. Most school districts require that you only have a college diploma to be a sub, but it varies from county to county and state to state. A few sub assignments will either pump you up for it or remind you why you didn't go into teaching in the first place. :D

Reactions: billanole
went back to grad school after teaching 2 yrs in hs. great job but not what I wanted to do for a living. worked for fla dnr as a research fisheries biologist and later back to school for computer science. bottom line is as long as going to school makes you more marketable do it. spent last 30 years in info tech. easy for me since I did not have any kids.

What are you studying?

I'm currently finishing up my Bachelor's degree in Computer Information Technology. My plan, if this year doesn't kill me, is to follow that up with a Masters so that I can be qualified to teach at a college level.

Reactions: GwinnettNole
I went back to FSU in my early 30's for a second bachelor's degree. The plan was to become a medical doctor. After a couple semesters, it clicked that I was going to have to work my ass off for a decade only to come out of residency in my 40s and in a ton of debt. I was more interested in the anatomy of FSU girls than my organic chemistry anyways, so I decided to bail out and go back to my old job that was waiting for me.

When I retire, I think I might head back to FSU once again. I love college.

Went back at age 42 transitioned from IT to nursing. Was a little weird sitting in classes with almost all 21-24 young very liberal females.

Reactions: seminoleed
People at the state agency I work for do it all the time. I personally find it funny as well. There are some people with PhD's who are morons and some I know don't have a bachelor's that I am more than fine giving them an assignment.
Worse are those that put some kind of non degree certification behind their name. For example, around here you see CPM in signatures. That stands for Certified Public Manager. It's a 12 week non credit program at FSU. smh.

Reactions: runkpanole
ADVERTISEMENT