ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone had gout?

GwinnettNole

Seminole Insider
Sep 4, 2001
Freaking beer causes gout? At least that is what my wife says- I think she is right.
My toe is swelling up-- looks and feels wonderful. Anyone else ever get this?

I don't drink a lot of beer (or any alcohol)-- usually just one or two on weekends.
I know its a joint/ arthritis problem... age related probably? I've been drinking the same 2 or 3 types of beer for years and now all of a sudden this happens. Thoughts?

Freaking beer causes gout? At least that is what my wife says- I think she is right.

I don't drink a lot of beer (or any alcohol)-- usually just one or two on weekends.
I know its a joint/ arthritis problem... age related probably? I've been drinking the same 2 or 3 types of beer for years and now all of a sudden this happens. Thoughts?
I really don’t think that little bit of beer consumption could be guilty for causing it.

Far more likely you’re eating too many rich foods. That’s usually the cause of it, from what I’ve heard and been told by people I know who have had it.

I've had issues with it through the years; first flareup I was in my early 30s. I have another bout once every few years - not quite often enough to go on permanent medication, but man it is brutally painful when you have an attack.

Yes, beer can be a trigger - typically darker beers are worse (bad for me, since that's my preference). Wine & hard liquor also are triggers. Foods you eat can also cause issues, do some research on what to avoid.

Oddly, most of the food & drink triggers are not an issue for me, but I still get it sometimes. Obviously, genetics also play a role.

I really don’t think that little bit of beer consumption could be guilty for causing it.

Far more likely you’re eating too many rich foods. That’s usually the cause of it, from what I’ve heard and been told by people I know who have had it.

Interesting... sounds like I need to do more research/ take it to the doctors. But beer is definitely on the list that causes it

Gout is caused by a buildup of uric acid, which can be generated by a diet high in rich foods or alcohol and obesity.

I’ve never had it, but I’m not an alkie or a fatty.

I had similar symptoms, but it wasn't gout. In my early 30s, I first had a flareup in my index finger. I did a lot of typing at work, and thought I perhaps was getting carpal tunnel. It was very painful and I couldn't even bend my finger. Then it left my finger and went to my big toe. It hurt to the point I had trouble walking on it. I saw an endocrinologist and he ran all sorts of blood tests on me. They never found anything specific, just called it general arthritis. I had to get a cortisone shot once for the pain and was put on anti-inflammatory pills. Had to give those up after follow up blood tests showed damage to my liver from the pills. I was freaked out, since I had no idea what to expect once I stopped taking the pills, but the pain never really came back. I have occasionally had some pain in my toe since then, usually when I'm feeling run down. Otherwise I haven't experienced anything like the initial pain, thankfully.

Gout is caused by a buildup of uric acid, which can be generated by a diet high in rich foods or alcohol and obesity.

I’ve never had it, but I’m not an alkie or a fatty.
Yeah, for me it didn't make any sense because I wasn't overweight and my diet was not abnormally high in rich foods.

Keep shellfish out of your diet. My guess is that you're not eating healthy. Don't follow this guy's diet:

article-2210797-1547D6FD000005DC-542_1024x615_large.jpg

Yeah, for me it didn't make any sense because I wasn't overweight and my diet was not abnormally high in rich foods.

I’m not a fatty either. Nor do I eat a lot of things that are rich and/or not healthy for me.
Whole thing is perplexing.

If it’s my beer I think I’ll just suffer through this... lol.

Keep shellfish out of your diet. My guess is that you're not eating healthy. Don't follow this guy's diet:

article-2210797-1547D6FD000005DC-542_1024x615_large.jpg

That’s just the thing— see above post. I’m pretty fit, eat well (no GMOs).... while this is just weird.

Just had my first attack about a month ago. I started drinking cherry juice, and taking tumeric and bromeliad and it cleared up pretty quickly.

Reactions: cmanole
Is it actually gout? Could possibly be other things (rheumatoid for example) linking to the same effect.

Go see your medical professional and get a blood test done. There are other things that cause similar symptoms and maybe it isn't gout. Beer can definitely cause flare ups. My brother gets an attack from 1-2 beers, luckily his favorite medical professional is on speed dial and prescribes his meds when needed.:)

Yes, my trigger food is mussels.

Avoid high-purine foods like liver, kidneys, sweetbreads, sardines, anchovies, fish roes (eggs and caviar) and meat extracts. I know people who were affected by alcohol and gravies for gout triggers.

Dark Cherry juice helps. But I am guessing it has more to do with cherries being a diuretics. Anti-inflammatory medication is the biggest short term help. Max out on the ibuprofen or better yet get a prescription. Health maintenance medications you take year around help but unless you get flair ups on a continual basis, I would hold off on those. I have thought long and hard about what, where and why I get an occasional flair up and have yet to come up with a single trigger. I suspect it may be some level of maintained stress over a long period of time that alters my chemistry enough to form those urate crystals of pain.

I’ve had three times. All times driven by being dehydrated and boozed on beer the day prior. Cut out beer and have not had in 6 years. It was the most painful thing I have gone through.

Go see your medical professional and get a blood test done. There are other things that cause similar symptoms and maybe it isn't gout. Beer can definitely cause flare ups. My brother gets an attack from 1-2 beers, luckily his favorite medical professional is on speed dial and prescribes his meds when needed.:)
This. I self diagnosed myself via WebMD with gout a few months ago. Luckily, I went to a doc and she diagnosed me with cellulitis. She was right, I was wrong.

An old buddy has dealt with it for years. Alcohol is a definite trigger for him, but he says,“If I take my pill I have no problem.”
I have no idea what “pill” he is referring to...
He eats a very healthy diet and is not a fattie at all.

Had severe gout attacks in my 20’s
Uric acid build up sharp crystals. One time it was so bad that you could touch my foot with a feather and it hurt like a super fine sharp knife constantly sticking my foot. One of the worst pains I’d had.
Beet and other foods escalate it as said.
I take Allopurinol for it. I drink less beer, more cranberry juice which helps greatly.

An old buddy has dealt with it for years. Alcohol is a definite trigger for him, but he says,“If I take my pill I have no problem.”
I have no idea what “pill” he is referring to...
He eats a very healthy diet and is not a fattie at all.
Indomethacin is the magic pill.

Reactions: billanole

My dad had it bad. It is caused by Uric acid. He quit eating red meat, and it disappeared in 3 weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT