ADVERTISEMENT

Hatch Chilies

TC Nole OX

Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Tribe, TexSkills or anyone else who might know....do Hatch Chilies live up to the hype or are they just Anaheim Chilies with lots of marketing? A 25 pound box is 50 dollars and another 50 for two day air. I don't want to spring for that if an Anaheim is pretty much the same thing.

http://www.saveur.com/hatch-chiles-new-mexico

Tribe, TexSkills or anyone else who might know....do Hatch Chilies live up to the hype or are they just Anaheim Chilies with lots of marketing? A 25 pound box is 50 dollars and another 50 for two day air. I don't want to spring for that if an Anaheim is pretty much the same thing.

I absolutely love them and think they're worth it, I've got a box of medium-hot greens in the freezer and break them out whenever I make burgers at home or to make Chili. Regular poblano and anaheims are substitutes but not really a good substitute. Just like habanero have a very distinctive fruity flavor that isn't matched imo with the other hot peppers, the Hatch is similar to an Anaheim but just like there are thin wines and robust wines the Hatch has a lot more depth of flavor than the Anaheim. The Anaheims tend to be watery and grassy in comparison to the Hatch which has a "meatier" savouriness and when roasted has a natural buttery flavor missing in the Anaheim.

Definitely my favorite hot pepper is the habanero followed by the scorpion. And my favorite mild pepper is the Hatch followed by the "hot" banana.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC Nole OX
Cool.....thanks....that helps. Now I need to decide between mild or medium. Medium appears to be akin to low end of scale jalapeno on scoville chart. I'm thinking it will be medium. If by chance, those are too hot they won't be after going through 50 pounds of peppers.

https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/why-is-green-chile-hot/

Scoville-Scale.png

Last edited:

Here's where I order mine, they've always been great.

https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/

I order a 10 lb box of the already roasted and seeded at the "medium-hot" level about every six months or so.

As I mentioned they're perfect for a Hatch green chiliburger. Take one roasted pepper per 1/2 lb burger and toss roughly chopped in a small pan with a little burger and heat through maybe even charring it a bit. Then when you're building the burger add that to the burger with a slice of melted Monterey Jack or havarti, it's great!

Reactions: EconSean
Cool.....thanks....that helps. Now I need to decide between mild or medium. Medium appears to be akin to low end of scale jalapeno on scoville chart. I'm thinking it will be medium. If by chance, those are too hot they won't be after going through 50 pounds of peppers.

https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/why-is-green-chile-hot/

Scoville-Scale.png

Yeah, the hot is probably a little less than a jalapeño and the extra hot a little more than a jalapeño but nowhere near a habanero.

For me I'd probably go hot, but my wife likes the medium-hot which is probably a little hotter than a "hot banana" or Anaheim. The medium is probably right in line with an anahaeim or poblano.

I just received two shakers of red chili powder from them. I was going to order the box of fresh chilies from there as well.

I'm sure the fresh is great as well, I have just been happy with their already roasted and seeded so that removes a step for me.

Reactions: EconSean
Yeah, the hot is probably a little less than a jalapeño and the extra hot a little more than a jalapeño but nowhere near a habanero.

For me I'd probably go hot, but my wife likes the medium-hot which is probably a little hotter than a "hot banana" or Anaheim. The medium is probably right in line with an anahaeim or poblano.

I will have to pick up one each of a jalapeno, poblano and Anaheim from WF and sample to see the heat differences.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
First thing I am going to do with the red chili powder is to make my own chorizo from Rob Walsh's Chili Cookbook. Then going to make chorizo empanadas from Homesick Texan cookbook.

Was recently given a jar of pickled habaneros. Ate a whole one and they are tasty ass hell and pretty hot, but not as hot as a raw one. Got the burp reflex, but the fire subsided after a few mins. Any good recipes or ideas on how to use them? Might mince a quarter or half into a batch of wing sauce or jerk marinade.

Different and DEFINITELY worth the hype and the price.

Roasting is a PITA, IMO. I buy them roasted and chopped.

Green chile stew may be my favorite meal, with carne adovada (which is made with red powder) a close second.

And if you want hot, look for the Big Jim variety, in hot or extra hot.
Okay, I just saw the figure above...and I've had very different experiences with the Big Jim chiles that I bought and eaten, I would move them up that scale quite a few places.

Okay, I just saw the figure above...and I've had very different experiences with the Big Jim chiles that I bought and eaten, I would move them up that scale quite a few places.

The med-hot I ordered were Big Jims. I read in some of the reviews that the heat varies depending on which part of the season they are picked. I don't know if that is legit or not.

Ok, just ordered 10 pounds of med-hot, roasted, peeled & chopped. Free shipping. Thanks for the help

I could have sent you whatever you wanted. They roast and chop them out front our local H-E-B.

Hatch chilies are well worth it simply for the flavor alone. Can't beat it.

TexSkills, speaking of mail order foods.....what do you do for texas bbq sausage? Do you get it shipped from Texas or make your own?

When I used to order Texas sausages, Meyers in Elgin is where I would get it.

There is a brand readily available in Florida now, at Publix and Costco, called Kiolbassa. It's a San Antonio based company and they make excellent sausages.

Was recently given a jar of pickled habaneros. Ate a whole one and they are tasty ass hell and pretty hot, but not as hot as a raw one. Got the burp reflex, but the fire subsided after a few mins. Any good recipes or ideas on how to use them? Might mince a quarter or half into a batch of wing sauce or jerk marinade.
I use pickled ones just like jalapenos, nachos/tacos, hot dogs, chili, salsa, guac, etc. I use them in the sauce I make that I've put on almost anything.
Not sure how it would work with the pickled ones, but I make habanero poppers with the raw ones. Cheese filled, bacon wrapped then smoked/grilled.

Every September we get a bushel of mild and a bushel of hot. I buy them unroasted and make a day of doing it myself. We mix them all together to roast then steam. Put about 6 peppers in ziplocks and freeze. Usually last the year. We make a lot of green chile with them and also use on burgers, quesadillas, salads.

These chilies are amazing. I have eaten several one pound bags of the peeled and roasted chilies straight out of the bag.

These chilies are amazing. I have eaten several one pound bags of the peeled and roasted chilies straight out of the bag.

Glad you liked it. I'm literally using them tonight as I'm grilling up some bison burgers with a slice of butterkase and a slice of sharp cheddar and some sautéed Hatch chilis and onions. Add some mustard and ketchup and you're golden.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
So are you guys telling me Hatch Chiles are available in Florida? I was planning on having to ship a couple bundles down once we move but this is great news if I can just get them in the grocery stores down there.

The Wegmans in my area always bring in a large amount of Hatch chiles. Roast and fill with Cooper cheese and it's a great appetizer.
Was going to add in here that Wegman's has an annual "chili festival" where they get in a ton of hatch chilis, roast them themselves on 8/25 and 8/26, and sell them (preorders get priority). I just ordered a case of roasted chilis. It's $40 and starts off as 22 lbs before roasting. I plan to freeze them and use them throughout the year.

Picked up some roasted Hatch from HEB over the weekend and made The Green Sauce and chili verde enchiladas. My wife is a traditional Houston/Galveston only red gravy person, but might have convinced her that green is much better.

Picked up some roasted Hatch from HEB over the weekend and made The Green Sauce and chili verde enchiladas. My wife is a traditional Houston/Galveston only red gravy person, but might have convinced her that green is much better.

Green is ALWAYS better than red. Although I will admit to occasionally doing the Christmas combo.

Lucky's Market in St Pete, and probably all locations, is having a two week Hatch Chile festival. Starts Aug 15

https://www.cltampa.com/food-drink/...ngs-twoweek-green-chile-fest-to-st-petersburg

Chuy's has their full Hatch Chile menu starting tomorrow

Thanks for the update!

I might even try Chuy’s this weekend if that’s true. Every time I try to convince my wife to go there we look at the menu and see the prices relative to other places and say eff it and go to La Tiendita or Tijuana Flats instead. Maybe now there’s enough amp to try it as we both LOVE a good Green Hatch chili dish.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT