ADVERTISEMENT

How do you know when it’s time to say goodbye?

FSUDoles

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2005
LBTS
All,

We’ve been struggling with a difficult decision...it’s a deeply personal choice, I do realize that...but I do value the opinions of my Seminole family here. Here’s a quick backstory....

Our Yellow Labrador, Remedy’s Tomahawk Chop...AKA Chopper joined the family back in early 2007.
In early 2012...Chop was diagnosed with diabetes and he’s been on twice daily insulin injections since the day he was diagnosed, so he has defied the odds of living to a relatively ripe old age for a large breed with a life shortening disease. As we were told to expect...due to the diabetes, his vision is basically entirely gone now. He is familiar with his surroundings but everyday is a challenge, particularly with stairs and bright and dark conditions. He is no longer comfortable going on walks...he actually resists going anywhere other than our yard. His day basically consists of eating....sleeping...and that’s about it. He is now also starting to lose control of his bodily functions and that is problematic on many levels. To complicate matters, we are under contract to move to a new home that will pose a new set of challenges than the ones we struggle with today. He doesn’t appear to be in pain, but he can’t do any of his favorite things...he can’t go on walks, can’t play, swim...and everything else Labs love to do.

We are struggling with the thought of are we being selfish keeping him around in this condition or are we being selfish by not riding this out to the virtual end.

In closing, this is our second and last lab...I can’t do this anymore....it’s heartbreaking....and with our first lab...the decision was a tad easier...he was 14 and when he couldn’t get off the floor on his own, that was the end.

Thanks in advance for any advice....and I do realize this is our decision...

Reactions: squiffynole
FSUDoles, you are in a tough position and I have experienced both of your scenarios with our last two labs, the loss of bodily functions and couldn't stand up anymore. The way I looked at it was is the dog happy in his current condition and from what you have described it doesn't appear that way as the ailments are adding up. I think it is time to consult your vet for a professional opinion and let them decide. I also think that taking the dog to a new place would not be a good idea for the dog and the family overall. Your scenarios and the way you feel mimics what I struggled with and I felt the same way as you and said I was done after the last one too and took a two year break, last child left for college and my wife lasted four weeks and we switched it up with a golden and I'm glad we did. Hang in there, as there is no wrong way to handle this.

I'm sorry to hear this and as you know there isn't an easy answer.

Our Havanese died in my wifes arms at age 11 from CHF(Heart Failure)...we knew it was coming...we could have rushed him to the vet and had them do their thing...maybe prolonging his life for days/weeks?

In the end he died where he felt most comfortable and safe.

In your situation I would consider speaking to the vet...see if they have any ideas options that would work for you all? Maybe something that can be done at home where he is where he feels most comfortable and safe?

Sympathies to you and your family. It's tough to say, but it sounds like the time has come. Moving from his known surroundings into an unknown new home would likely be extremely difficult for him. I've had to say goodbye to 5 dogs, 4 labs, and it's never easy.

We are in a similar situation with our 12 year old yellow lab. He appears to be reasonably healthy in that he has no disease or serious health condition, but he does not seem happy. He has recently grown a few large cysts on his body but vet says they are benign. He is beginning to have difficulty standing, but once up he moves pretty well. He started having issues going to the bathroom in the house about a year ago. It began around the time we had to put his litter-mate sister down. The first few months we chalked it up to grief. It has progressively gotten worse the last few months. As you said, this creates a lot of problems. Cleaning that up frequently cause some resentment to be honest. We don't ever get upset if he is left inside too long or any other condition beyond his control. What is incredibly frustrating is taking him out to go for an extended period of time and then him shitting in the house within 5 minutes of being back inside. No matter how much you love a dog this will wear on you. He has pooped on his bed many times which leads to believe it is very much involuntary. Still, going inside after being given ample opportunity outside is beyond aggravating.

Another issue is he has become aggressive when grooming and cleaning him. I realize that much of the time we are likely causing some pain or discomfort. He hasn't hurt anyone, but he has snapped a few times. Once or twice he has made contact. So far, it has only been my wife as she is the one typically cleaning him up. If he did that to the kids it would be time.

FSUDoles, you are in a tough position and I have experienced both of your scenarios with our last two labs, the loss of bodily functions and couldn't stand up anymore. The way I looked at it was is the dog happy in his current condition and from what you have described it doesn't appear that way as the ailments are adding up. I think it is time to consult your vet for a professional opinion and let them decide. I also think that taking the dog to a new place would not be a good idea for the dog and the family overall. Your scenarios and the way you feel mimics what I struggled with and I felt the same way as you and said I was done after the last one too and took a two year break, last child left for college and my wife lasted four weeks and we switched it up with a golden and I'm glad we did. Hang in there, as there is no wrong way to handle this.

Thank you. I did read something online that may answer our conundrum...a vet encologist said to jot down five things your dog loved to do in their prime....if he/she can’t do three or more of those in their latter days....it’s probably time. He now only enjoys eating...and sleeping. We didn’t plan to relocate (only a few miles away) until he passed, but something became available and it couldn’t be passed up. I appreciate the feedback. Our son moved back from FSU and he’s working down and living with us and he has his rescue from Thomasville....she will fill the void, at least until he gets his own place. Again, much thanks.

Tom

I'm sorry to hear this and as you know there isn't an easy answer.

Our Havanese died in my wifes arms at age 11 from CHF(Heart Failure)...we knew it was coming...we could have rushed him to the vet and had them do their thing...maybe prolonging his life for days/weeks?

In the end he died where he felt most comfortable and safe.

In your situation I would consider speaking to the vet...see if they have any ideas options that would work for you all? Maybe something that can be done at home where he is where he feels most comfortable and safe?

Thanks Doc....yes, there are some very respected vets that perform in home euthanizing...so that is definitely a consideration if and when that decision is made.

Tom

Sympathies to you and your family. It's tough to say, but it sounds like the time has come. Moving from his known surroundings into an unknown new home would likely be extremely difficult for him. I've had to say goodbye to 5 dogs, 4 labs, and it's never easy.

We are in a similar situation with our 12 year old yellow lab. He appears to be reasonably healthy in that he has no disease or serious health condition, but he does not seem happy. He has recently grown a few large cysts on his body but vet says they are benign. He is beginning to have difficulty standing, but once up he moves pretty well. He started having issues going to the bathroom in the house about a year ago. It began around the time we had to put his litter-mate sister down. The first few months we chalked it up to grief. It has progressively gotten worse the last few months. As you said, this creates a lot of problems. Cleaning that up frequently cause some resentment to be honest. We don't ever get upset if he is left inside too long or any other condition beyond his control. What is incredibly frustrating is taking him out to go for an extended period of time and then him shitting in the house within 5 minutes of being back inside. No matter how much you love a dog this will wear on you. He has pooped on his bed many times which leads to believe it is very much involuntary. Still, going inside after being given ample opportunity outside is beyond aggravating.

Another issue is he has become aggressive when grooming and cleaning him. I realize that much of the time we are likely causing some pain or discomfort. He hasn't hurt anyone, but he has snapped a few times. Once or twice he has made contact. So far, it has only been my wife as she is the one typically cleaning him up. If he did that to the kids it would be time.

Thanks for your feedback....and to add to the dilemma, we made the awful decision of allowing him on our bed....that’s on us...but it’s a huge problem. I can’t get a read on whether he is happy, sad or indifferent....just lethargic. We have a few trips planned coming up in Late April and in July....and now it seems way too much now to ask someone to watch him....it all sucks.

T

All,

We’ve been struggling with a difficult decision...it’s a deeply personal choice, I do realize that...but I do value the opinions of my Seminole family here. Here’s a quick backstory....

Our Yellow Labrador, Remedy’s Tomahawk Chop...AKA Chopper joined the family back in early 2007.
In early 2012...Chop was diagnosed with diabetes and he’s been on twice daily insulin injections since the day he was diagnosed, so he has defied the odds of living to a relatively ripe old age for a large breed with a life shortening disease. As we were told to expect...due to the diabetes, his vision is basically entirely gone now. He is familiar with his surroundings but everyday is a challenge, particularly with stairs and bright and dark conditions. He is no longer comfortable going on walks...he actually resists going anywhere other than our yard. His day basically consists of eating....sleeping...and that’s about it. He is now also starting to lose control of his bodily functions and that is problematic on many levels. To complicate matters, we are under contract to move to a new home that will pose a new set of challenges than the ones we struggle with today. He doesn’t appear to be in pain, but he can’t do any of his favorite things...he can’t go on walks, can’t play, swim...and everything else Labs love to do.

We are struggling with the thought of are we being selfish keeping him around in this condition or are we being selfish by not riding this out to the virtual end.

In closing, this is our second and last lab...I can’t do this anymore....it’s heartbreaking....and with our first lab...the decision was a tad easier...he was 14 and when he couldn’t get off the floor on his own, that was the end.

Thanks in advance for any advice....and I do realize this is our decision...
Dogs become such a part of the family that it makes it extremely difficult to say good. No different whether it truly is a family member or not, with a dog you love like one, you have to try to determine what is best for him and not you. I had a yellow lab named Renegade that developed congestive heart failure last spring. There were some things they could have done that probably would have kept him with us a little longer, but his quality of life would have continued to decrease. My wife and I made the difficult to decision to spare him that and keep his dignity and keep our memories of him in being in good health and being the most affectionate and loving dog we had ever known. Despite cutting his time with us shorter, I know in retrospect that we did the right thing for him. I miss him every day, but I have nothing but the fondest memories of him.

Last edited:
Don't have a dog, but when the quality of life is not good I would say it's time. I lost my father in January, and having to watch him struggle/suffer through the last few weeks of his life was not easy so I can only imagine what he was going through. I asked God almost every day to take him so he wouldn't have to suffer any more. It's never easy losing a loved one, but you need to do what's best for him.

The tragedy of dogs is the inevitably that you will lose them.
After our 1st (above) died I said we are going to go pet free for awhile as I didn't want to jump right back into it.

We made it a few months and now have another Havanese. He's a lot of fun and we really enjoy him.

Dogs become such a part of the family that it makes it extremely difficult to say good behind. No different whether it truly is a family member or not, with a dog you love like one, you have to try to determine what is best for him and not you. I had a yellow lab named Renegade that developed congestive heart failure last spring. There were some things they could have done that probably would have kept him with us a little longer, but his quality of life would have continued to decrease. My wife and I made the difficult to decision to spare him that and keep his dignity and keep our memories of him in being in good health and being the most affectionate and loving dog we had ever known. Despite cutting his time with us shorter, I know in retrospect that we did the right thing for him. I miss him every day, but I have nothing but the fondest memories of him.

Thank you Tim, it means a lot....definitely something to consider.

Reactions: Timnole
Don't have a dog, but when the quality of life is not good I would say it's time. I lost my father in January, and having to watch him struggle/suffer through the last few weeks of his life was not easy so I can only imagine what he was going through. I asked God almost every day to take him so he wouldn't have to suffer any more. It's never easy losing a loved one, but you need to do what's best for him.

Thank you....sorry about your dad...I know this pales in significance, but these pets become part of the timeline of life....

I've had two Goldens and a Lab and it never ever becomes easy. When they lose control of bodily functions, can't walk, and their appetite goes, usually between the ages of 12-14, they're looking at you with those eyes that say, " I love you, but please don't make me suffer anymore". My poor black Lab had to be carried into the vets office on a stretcher and I was a useless ball of hysterics, but he looked relieved when he went to sleep.
Do it for the dogs sake and cherish the memories.

I've had two Goldens and a Lab and it never ever becomes easy. When they lose control of bodily functions, can't walk, and their appetite goes, usually between the ages of 12-14, they're looking at you with those eyes that say, " I love you, but please don't make me suffer anymore". My poor black Lab had to be carried into the vets office on a stretcher and I was a useless ball of hysterics, but he looked relieved when he went to sleep.
Do it for the dogs sake and cherish the memories.

Thank you....so many memories....he still eats like a horse....but doesn’t like walks because he can’t see....but he can still get up and walk here and there....I think that’s where we are struggling. Have a great week...and enjoy the Spring Game and concert....we can’t make it this year.

Reactions: goldmom
Went through this with my GSD a few years ago. It was heartbreaking, but he lived to 12.5 years old, an eternity for a GSD, with very little health problems. You could see him getting older, but then one day he started having trouble walking, so I would have to carry him outside to use the bathroom. He was a proud dog, and I could just tell he wasnt happy. The vet said he had cancer, more than likely spread throughout his body. I had the option to open him up and hope for the best, but I realized that was human selfishness, not doing whats best for the dog.
In the end, I brought him home, spoiled him like crazy for a week with steaks and appetite stimulants, took some pictures, and tried to keep him comfortable. One night he began shallow breathing on his bed, and I woke up my wife and told her to say goodbye. I knew in my heart this was it. He did with me petting him, couldnt have scripted it better. I still think it would have been way harder for me to be the one to have to choose the time of his death by putting him to sleep, God let me off "easy".
It took my three years, but I got another GSD who is now 4 years old. As hard as it was to lose my first, I cant imagine not having one.
Unfortunately, my JRT will be 15 next month, and she is starting to fade as well. The one thing about small dogs is they do a lot better in old age due to their sheer size.

Reactions: FSUDoles
Went through this with my GSD a few years ago. It was heartbreaking, but he lived to 12.5 years old, an eternity for a GSD, with very little health problems. You could see him getting older, but then one day he started having trouble walking, so I would have to carry him outside to use the bathroom. He was a proud dog, and I could just tell he wasnt happy. The vet said he had cancer, more than likely spread throughout his body. I had the option to open him up and hope for the best, but I realized that was human selfishness, not doing whats best for the dog.
In the end, I brought him home, spoiled him like crazy for a week with steaks and appetite stimulants, took some pictures, and tried to keep him comfortable. One night he began shallow breathing on his bed, and I woke up my wife and told her to say goodbye. I knew in my heart this was it. He did with me petting him, couldnt have scripted it better. I still think it would have been way harder for me to be the one to have to choose the time of his death by putting him to sleep, God let me off "easy".
It took my three years, but I got another GSD who is now 4 years old. As hard as it was to lose my first, I cant imagine not having one.
Unfortunately, my JRT will be 15 next month, and she is starting to fade as well. The one thing about small dogs is they do a lot better in old age due to their sheer size.

Perfect ending for your shepherd....all we can do is try to treat them the best way we can...and as someone once said...humans as a whole don’t deserve dogs....they are really a gift.

“A dog doesn’t care if you’re rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb” Marley and Me (2008)

Reactions: nynole1
Very sorry to hear about your situation. I went through the same thing a couple of years ago with a black lab. I’m a avid duck hunter so Connor just wasn’t a pet, he was my hunting buddy and a great friend, he went everywhere with me. It still hurts thinking about losing him, I’m tearing up writing this. But at 11 years old he was diagnosed with cancer. He eventually couldn’t stand and would lie on his bed and cry unless I laid next to him. It was heartbreaking but my wife and I decided to have him put to sleep.

At first I said I would never do that again, but I ended up with another puppy, he’s 13 weeks old and we love him. I know we’re going to have to go through it again one day. But life is better with them, just remember the good times.

Very sorry to hear about your situation. I went through the same thing a couple of years ago with a black lab. I’m a avid duck hunter so Connor just wasn’t a pet, he was my hunting buddy and a great friend, he went everywhere with me. It still hurts thinking about losing him, I’m tearing up writing this. But at 11 years old he was diagnosed with cancer. He eventually couldn’t stand and would lie on his bed and cry unless I laid next to him. It was heartbreaking but my wife and I decided to have him put to sleep.

At first I said I would never do that again, but I ended up with another puppy, he’s 13 weeks old and we love him. I know we’re going to have to go through it again one day. But life is better with them, just remember the good times.

Thank you...I’m glad you got your puppy.....those first year or so with our lab pups....omg....so funny in retrospect, but jeez....talk about boundless energy.

Reactions: foleynole
No easy at all. I have developed a bit of a callousness to these things recently, bu dealing with my dad and not my dog. But my feelings inform each other.

Dad passed just two months ago at 92. He had a great life for the most part, but the last 4-5 years absolutely sucked. He had just enough dementia that he could not handle his affairs and I had to have a guardianship instituted to keep him from being ripped off. And part of that also included taking his license away. Unfortunately, he still kept enough self awareness that he knew what had been taken from him. He was bitter and angry once that happened, and he was never happy again (until the last few weeks when he finally told me he loved me and that he loved the place he was living and I was a great son or finding it for him, which told me he was about to pass and I was right). I struggled so much with the care we gave him over that time. About the times when we really did use extraordinary measures to keep him around. Each time we just brought him back to a situation where he hated the life he was living. I realized in December that no matter what we did, he was not getting better and one of the times he would pass. After a long talk with the doctors we decided not to hospitalize him any more and have hospice work with him (main reason was he hated more than anything to be alone and that was what happened in hospital). That seemed to coincide with him getting some of his happy back, and to my relief when he finally went he was laughing and flirting with the nurses.

I say all this to say I have come a long way in evaluating the value of holding on to life, a fight we ALL lose, makes less and less sense once we know someone is at the end. It makes me wonder how much the fight is our selfishness and our own delaying our loss. I don't mean that bad. It just seems what we do.

No easy at all. I have developed a bit of a callousness to these things recently, bu dealing with my dad and not my dog. But my feelings inform each other.

Dad passed just two months ago at 92. He had a great life for the most part, but the last 4-5 years absolutely sucked. He had just enough dementia that he could not handle his affairs and I had to have a guardianship instituted to keep him from being ripped off. And part of that also included taking his license away. Unfortunately, he still kept enough self awareness that he knew what had been taken from him. He was bitter and angry once that happened, and he was never happy again (until the last few weeks when he finally told me he loved me and that he loved the place he was living and I was a great son or finding it for him, which told me he was about to pass and I was right). I struggled so much with the care we gave him over that time. About the times when we really did use extraordinary measures to keep him around. Each time we just brought him back to a situation where he hated the life he was living. I realized in December that no matter what we did, he was not getting better and one of the times he would pass. After a long talk with the doctors we decided not to hospitalize him any more and have hospice work with him (main reason was he hated more than anything to be alone and that was what happened in hospital). That seemed to coincide with him getting some of his happy back, and to my relief when he finally went he was laughing and flirting with the nurses.

I say all this to say I have come a long way in evaluating the value of holding on to life, a fight we ALL lose, makes less and less sense once we know someone is at the end. It makes me wonder how much the fight is our selfishness and our own delaying our loss. I don't mean that bad. It just seems what we do.

Thank you for taking time to share. My mom and dad are aging so that will put this current situation in perspective sometime in the not too distant future. Sanctity of life or dignity in death....this all is way above my pay grade. We (our entire family) have done everything we can to normalize/extend his life with consistent feeding times, insulin injections during every meal...and not to sound self-serving, but he has outlived a lot of healthy large breed dogs. We’re taking it day by day now...

In closing, I am glad you and your dad reconciled...immensely important.

Tom

Last edited:

Sorry for your loss, but everything you said was spot on....went through the exact same thing in January

Thank you for taking time to share. My mom and dad are aging so that will put this current situation in perspective sometime in the not too distant future. Sanctity of life or dignity in death....this all is way above my pay grade. We (our entire family) have done everything we can to normalize/extend his life with consistent feeding times, insulin injections during every meal...and not to sound self-serving, but he has outlived a lot of healthy large breed dogs. We’re taking it day by day now...

In closing, I am glad you and your dad reconciled...immensely important.

Tom
Thanks. I will clarify we never split in any real sense. The wurst sure sucked but I always knew it wasn’t really my dad saying those things.

Sorry you are faced with this tough decision FSUDoles.

My very best buddy Charlie was diagnosed with diabetes in 2012. At first he did pretty good, although Charlie HATED having his levels checked. Over time he started losing his vision and would have these spikes in levels leaving him in a daze for a couple days. Then after some aggressive insulin and therapy he would bounce back for a few weeks. During the summer of 14 there was a spike and we couldn't get it to break The first couple of days we went through routine our Vet had prescribed with no results. Couple vet visits later no change. Then on a Sunday night we ended up at the all night vet and had to put Charlie down because his organs had started shutting down and he was gone.

As time passed I realized I was being selfish trying to extend Charlie's life. But I mean I loved that dog, so wouldn't I do everything to keep him alive. I should have been more aware Charlie was so miserable. He looked so sad every day when he couldn't hold his pee and went in the house.The look on his face when I came in from work was depressing. He could no longer see the planes flying over the trees that he always chased. And he could no longer chase that damn squirrel he hated with a passion.
He became a dog that slept, ate and looked at me every day like he wanted to feel better.

I still miss my buddy and wish I would have thought more about his pain than mine.

As I said , tough decision, my only advice is to think about your dog and what he might want as much as what you may want.

Sorry you are faced with this tough decision FSUDoles.

My very best buddy Charlie was diagnosed with diabetes in 2012. At first he did pretty good, although Charlie HATED having his levels checked. Over time he started losing his vision and would have these spikes in levels leaving him in a daze for a couple days. Then after some aggressive insulin and therapy he would bounce back for a few weeks. During the summer of 14 there was a spike and we couldn't get it to break The first couple of days we went through routine our Vet had prescribed with no results. Couple vet visits later no change. Then on a Sunday night we ended up at the all night vet and had to put Charlie down because his organs had started shutting down and he was gone.

As time passed I realized I was being selfish trying to extend Charlie's life. But I mean I loved that dog, so wouldn't I do everything to keep him alive. I should have been more aware Charlie was so miserable. He looked so sad every day when he couldn't hold his pee and went in the house.The look on his face when I came in from work was depressing. He could no longer see the planes flying over the trees that he always chased. And he could no longer chase that damn squirrel he hated with a passion.
He became a dog that slept, ate and looked at me every day like he wanted to feel better.

I still miss my buddy and wish I would have thought more about his pain than mine.

As I said , tough decision, my only advice is to think about your dog and what he might want as much as what you may want.

Thanks...it sounded like you did could to make him comfortable. Diabetic pets are a special challenge. We’re taking this day by day.

Thanks...it sounded like you did could to make him comfortable. Diabetic pets are a special challenge. We’re taking this day by day.

They really are , and can honestly say it made it me a much better pet owner. I hope you and the family have peace and comfort whatever decision you make and am confident it will be the right decision for your Chopper ( great name by the way)

That being said, thank you for invoking some great memories @FSUDoles.

I loved that damn dog

here is Charlie with one of his prized kills

charlie.jpg

had to have our choc lab put down several years ago. was a tough decision but was the correct one since she had cushings disease. had her cremated and a plaster impression of her right paw made. great dog but hated to see her suffer with no chance of her getting better. still think about her.

My pug contracted diabetes at 5. Within months cataracts had taken her vision, but I had them removed and lenses put in. Significantly improved her quality of life.

Of course, she was much younger than yours, and managed to make it 11.5 years.

My pug contracted diabetes at 5. Within months cataracts had taken her vision, but I had them removed and lenses put in. Significantly improved her quality of life.

Of course, she was much younger than yours, and managed to make it 11.5 years.

We got estimates when his cataracts got bad....but that wasn’t until a few years ago....and it was around $5,000....it was just too risky to put him under anesthesia at 8/9 years old....I’m glad your pug had a successful procedure.....thanks for your feedback.

Tom

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Tom - Just checking in, how are things?

Been through this twice. In June 2016 we had three Golden Retrievers, Autumn was 13, Winter was 11 and Summer was 9. Autumn was having seizures for a year then finally during the night of June 12th she had her final one and died in my wife's arms. Great dog.

Summer made it to 10 then within a week in February 2018 she crashed. Started walking into things, then walking backwards. She got better a few days later then Saturday February 3 she was laying on our hardwood floors, pee all around her and she couldn't get up, so that was it. Took her to the vet and put her down. That was the toughest call and experience we have ever had to make with our pets. It was awful. Couple that with the completely inappropriate timing of the vet tech demanding my wife sign the credit card receipt befor the termination made it all that much worse. I don't loose my cool often, but I almost came unglued when I saw that. So that was tough....

Fast forward to September 2019, two golden puppies are in the house.....just shoot us right? Been tougher to deal with being we are both in our mid 50's but things are great, they are cool kids.

Oh....not to forget the last of our original three...Winter, she just had her 15th birthday last month. Went to the Vet and she has a clean bill of health, minus the Lipomas, moles and stiff walk. We are pleasantly surprised she has lasted this long, she even swam in the pool last weekend, but are prepared for the bad day when it comes.

Been through this twice. In June 2016 we had three Golden Retrievers, Autumn was 13, Winter was 11 and Summer was 9. Autumn was having seizures for a year then finally during the night of June 12th she had her final one and died in my wife's arms. Great dog.

Summer made it to 10 then within a week in February 2018 she crashed. Started walking into things, then walking backwards. She got better a few days later then Saturday February 3 she was laying on our hardwood floors, pee all around her and she couldn't get up, so that was it. Took her to the vet and put her down. That was the toughest call and experience we have ever had to make with our pets. It was awful. Couple that with the completely inappropriate timing of the vet tech demanding my wife sign the credit card receipt befor the termination made it all that much worse. I don't loose my cool often, but I almost came unglued when I saw that. So that was tough....

Fast forward to September 2019, two golden puppies are in the house.....just shoot us right? Been tougher to deal with being we are both in our mid 50's but things are great, they are cool kids.

Oh....not to forget the last of our original three...Winter, she just had her 15th birthday last month. Went to the Vet and she has a clean bill of health, minus the Lipomas, moles and stiff walk. We are pleasantly surprised she has lasted this long, she even swam in the pool last weekend, but are prepared for the bad day when it comes.

Hey....thanks for checking....Chopper is about the same, but now it gets difficult. We closed on both our new and our old properties....and we need to move out by May 28th. I’m assuming he goes with but I know it will be traumatic. We’re taking it day by day at this point. Congrats on the new pups!! All my best to Winter too...

TD

That’s terrible about the bill, no feelings at all. One of the benefits of living in a small town is that everyone knows everyone. When I had to have my black lab put down, there was never any mention of a bill. The vet and his staff let us grieve, knowing that I’d be by within a few days to settle up.

That’s terrible about the bill, no feelings at all. One of the benefits of living in a small town is that everyone knows everyone. When I had to have my black lab put down, there was never any mention of a bill. The vet and his staff let us grieve, knowing that I’d be by within a few days to settle up.

Right? We are in a small town as well, but the local vet practice sold out to a corporate entity. Not sure what the deal was as we had been taking two of the three dogs to them since 2004, knew our vet personally and yet they insisted we pay the bill before they perform the service. Man it was everything I could do to keep my cool.

We still take Winter to the same vet as they have her records, but we are not willing to fall for any upselling that is the latest issue. They charge you for everything and try to get you to agree to a bunch of tests that we don't need, its terrible.

For our new puppies my wife, the nurse, interviewed 3 other practices and we settle on a new vet that is doing great. Next up, spaying the kids....

Right? We are in a small town as well, but the local vet practice sold out to a corporate entity. Not sure what the deal was as we had been taking two of the three dogs to them since 2004, knew our vet personally and yet they insisted we pay the bill before they perform the service. Man it was everything I could do to keep my cool.

We still take Winter to the same vet as they have her records, but we are not willing to fall for any upselling that is the latest issue. They charge you for everything and try to get you to agree to a bunch of tests that we don't need, its terrible.

For our new puppies my wife, the nurse, interviewed 3 other practices and we settle on a new vet that is doing great. Next up, spaying the kids....

Just curious...have you ever looked into pet insurance? We never did but in the case of our current situation...it may have been worth the expense.

I sure wish dogs lived as long as humans. Our furry family member Chaos a Brittany is 14 1/2. He was so very important to us as he filled the gap after we lost our twins. He is in chronic pain in his back and hips. Can't control himself long enough to make it outside. He can't hear well and his eyes are cloudy. He is always falling down. He is still there but doesn't like to do much these days. It will be one of the hardest days of our lives when we have to make the decision to let him rest.

Last edited:
I sure wish dogs lived as long as humans. Our furry family member Chaos a Brittany is 14 1/2. He was so very important to us as he filled the gap after we lost our twins. He is in chronic pain in his back and hips. Can't control himself long enough to make it outside. He can hear well and his eyes are cloudy. He is always falling down. He is still there but doesn't like to do much these days. It will be one of the hardest days of our lives when we have to make the decision to let him rest.

I’m in exactly the same boat and it sucks. Quality of life is now virtually non existent....no walks, bumps into things because he is virtually sightless now, two insulin shots a day....starting to become incontinent and now is barking for no apparent reason....the clock is ticking....it’s not the calendar any longer...and we’re heartbroken. All my best....be strong.

Reactions: ericram
This thread breaks my heart. Nothing is as bad a losing a fur baby.

My 12 y/o lab/Italian greyhound mix pup has recently been diagnosed with congestive heart failure. What makes matters worse is the ex has the dog. He took her to his vet, which basically gave her diuretics (at the wrong dose) and said she wasn't going to live long. I took her to another vet, who quadrupled her medication, did a paracentesis (put a needle in her gut to see if the fluid was clear or cloudy to rule out cancer and didn't charge for it) who said she can live a pretty good life with medication.

When she is given the medications as prescribed, she does great. The ex wont give her meds twice daily because he is afraid she will pee in the house! It is so frustrating...but so far she is hanging on and doing fairly well. i will have her for a week of dog sitting next month and will give her the medications as directed.

She has given my daughter and I 12 years of love, loyalty and happiness. She deserves to receive the same. I am not looking forward to the day she leaves us.

I’m in exactly the same boat and it sucks. Quality of life is now virtually non existent....no walks, bumps into things because he is virtually sightless now, two insulin shots a day....starting to become incontinent and now is barking for no apparent reason....the clock is ticking....it’s not the calendar any longer...and we’re heartbroken. All my best....be strong.
Same to you! We will probably make that decision sooner rather than later so he doesn't suffer too much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT