ADVERTISEMENT

How much do you give to church or charity each year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Formerly Rockymtnole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Feb 9, 2013
Just curious about annual giving. Every year at tax time I feel guilty I haven't given more, but curious if I'm unique in that respect.

I am on a road straight to hell with as little as I give. I think lying about it on a message board would seal the deal.

Last year was first year since my daughter was born that we didn't sponsor a team for March of Dimes. But that is a $500 commitment every year,$1000 to church, and sweat equity for the Houston Food bank

I don't give a lot of money, but I am very giving of my time & effort. I've coached both little league & youth soccer every year for 10 years (many of the years, I've coached two teams in each sport each season because my boys are just far enough apart age-wise that they are in different divisions). I've also coached youth football a couple of times & served on the boards of the leagues. I'm also very active in my local Kiwanis club, and my firm ends up doing a lot of work for various organizations at discounted prices.

I have slacked this year with my move, new job, baby, etc. leading up to this year I would give at least 10% of my net to chartity or church.

we get the annual strong arm from work to give at the "leadership" level to UW, so that's 2k right there. Then church is a few more, plus warrior level booster and the odds and ends here and there...

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Without hijacking the thread, do posters consider Seminole boosters a charity? I know you can write it off, etc. but I'm still curious.

$2,300 last year. Giving a car to NPR this year so that'll bump it up for 2017.

Does getting ask to round up to the nearest dollar at a chain-restaurant for their chosen charity count?

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Probably 5%-7% in money, if you throw in time, furniture, etc. likely in the 10% range. Our church has a thrift shop that is pretty large and we usually give a bunch of stuff every year. We also give to a few military charities that assist veterans families who lost a loved one in the SOF community and work/assist a veterans charity that helps with transition from military to civilian life.

I pretty much only donate time. I don't claim it on my taxes or anything, but I do value my time at a very high amount, so I sleep well at night when I consider what I give.

I don't money to the booster (sorry, jam), but I watch every game and spend hours each day on Warchant. Does that make me a Golden Chief?

Questions for those of you that tithe:
- Do you only consider the amount that goes directly to your church as part of your tithe, or do you consider other sources? For example, supporting a missionary.
- What is the basis for calculating your tithe? Gross, net, take home, AGI, etc.?

- Do you only consider the amount that goes directly to your church as part of your tithe, or do you consider other sources? For example, supporting a missionary.
- What is the basis for calculating your tithe? Gross, net, take home, AGI, etc.?

I consider any amount given to the chrich tithing. There has always been a debate on whether it should be gross or net, for us, we do net.

We give about 5-6% of income to church. The rest of charity ($) goes to my family (parents, brother ) who are either elderly or are mentally handicapped. No one ever said life was easy...

My wife and I just took our kids on a feed the homeless mission in our county in GA on Sunday. I like things like that and really puts into perspective the world around us and how lucky we are. It's also amazing to think about people complain about these folks getting "handouts". Trust me, none of them are getting "rich" because of what they get from any programs.

Or better yet tell us exactly what you make so we don't have to do the math.

1. The tithe is what goes directly to the church. Any other would be considered an offering.
2. Gross income.

Reactions: WhiteNoles
Just under $8,000 last year. We also give a lot of our time to the church. I play guitar and sing in the band. That's a good 4-5 hours per week. My wife teaches kids classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT