ADVERTISEMENT

How much longer will the Tennessee Strip be around?

12Nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2013
Passed by it last night at 10:30 and there wasn't a soul in sight. Usually a line was building up by that time. Hope College Town can get some of the staples to go over there like a Ken's and Bullwinkles. Would be sad to see Tallahassee lose those two watering holes.

Reactions: seminoleed
I had the misfortune of being at FSU while the Strip shifted from bars to fast food, due to the change in the legal drinking age. When I arrived in Tallahassee from my little New England home town, the Tennessee Street Strip was nothing short of amazing.

Poor Paul's Pour House was always the spot there that we hit. Darts and drinks. I had a Monday Night Lowenbrau Club tee shirt that got us a pour for cheap.
There was a great little gig for new chicks...in the ladies room there was a Superman (?) on the wall with a little door down in his private region.
When the door was opened, lights and sound went off in the bar. The greeting as the chicks came out was borderline raucous.
This was when drinking age in Florida was 18. The argument was that if a kid could be sent to VietNam, he should be able to have a beer. A cop would tell you to get to the house and off the road, rather than the DWI days of now. Those were different days, for sure.

Reactions: Dr. Nole
Floyds, Fusions, Kens, bullwinkles, and I feel like I'm missing one.

I was there a lot my first two years, by my jr and Sr years I would only frequent Kens.

I was at The Palace a lot. Would also hit up the 4th Quarter off Monroe St. Would go to AJs every now and then. Chubbys opened up my senior year, i went on occasions, but didn't really like, thats when I knew I was gettting old and it was time to move on.

Saturday night was never a big night for the strip - except after a game (especially a big game like Miami).
Maybe everyone was bummed after the loss?

Reactions: GoNolesTX
Saturday night was never a big night for the strip - except after a game (especially a big game like Miami).

Very true: Thursday nights were the big nights for the strip.

Late night library, Stetsons, bullwinkles, potbelly’s. They all gone?

Isn't it all called the Strip now? Who goes out before 11:30 PM?
Get off my lawn.

22344063_308849046188154_8008203270579290112_n.jpg

Agreed. Saturdays tended to be house parties as far as I remember. Strip tended to be full of older folks coming back in for games on Saturdays trying to relive the glory days, at least during football season.

And 10:30? Maybe 11:30, more like 12:00-12:30. We pre partied at home and went out for the last 2 hours of the night.

Reactions: RTM58
And 10:30? Maybe 11:30, more like 12:00-12:30. We pre partied at home and went out for the last 2 hours of the night.

This was our MO as well; pre-party and then go out a couple hours before the bars closed.

I was always a fan of the curfew as well. Brought the party back to the house and saved me a ton of cash. If you were looking to hookup, it kept everyone from getting to damn drunk and gave a reason to leave bar and head back to crib.

good times.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTM58
Finale's was a good one, as we're the multiple incarnations of "Subway" that pre-dated the sandwich chain's appearache in Tally by a half dozen years.

Which is the place where you coulD sit at the bar, order a sandwich, and a minute later they would serve it to you hot out of the steamer?

Also worth remembering: Mr. G's Chicago-style deeeeep dish pizza. It was across the street from the bars, near where Kinko's & Steve's Ice Cream ended up later on in the 80's

Last edited:
Get off my lawn.

$1 liquor drinks ended at 11:00pm. Loaded up as many as I could at 10:45pm. Then head over and got my flirt on with @DFSNOLE girlfriend while my buds distracted him over a game of pool. Poor guy thought he was the one hustling....

Glory Days!!

Of all of those, I miss Finale's the most.
Finale's was a good one, as we're the multiple incarnations of "Subway" that pre-dated the sandwich chain's appearache in Tally by a half dozen years.

Which is the place where you coulD sit at the bar, order a sandwich, and a minute later they would serve it to you hot out of the steamer?

Also worth remembering: Mr. G's Chicago-style deeeeep dish pizza. It was across the street from the bars, near where Kinko's & Steve's Ice Cream ended up later on in the 80's

Was Finales the place downstairs, a couple doors down from Kens?

I also enjoyed the Subway place, at the corner of Tennessee & Dewey (across Dewey from DeGraff, I think there's a McDonalds there now). Also frequented a place next to it called Everybody's Tavern.

My first year in Tally, there was also a good saloon-style place next door to Bullwinkles; think it was called Longbranch or something like that. Had a happy hour deal, "Burger & a Beer for a Buck" which fit nicely into the budget of a poor college kid. They had a bunch of very high quality pool tables. After it closed I think the building sat empty for about 20 years; I could never figure out how/why nobody ever tried to make a go of it in there.

Get off my lawn.

$1 liquor drinks ended at 11:00pm. Loaded up as many as I could at 10:45pm. Then head over and got my flirt on with @DFSNOLE girlfriend while my buds distracted him over a game of pool. Poor guy thought he was the one hustling....

Glory Days!!
Nah, she was just playing you for an easy mark. Said she would always find the guys who acted like they were a stud but really were insecure little boys and take them for all she could. She says thank you BTW. You were one of her easiest targets.

Was Finales the place downstairs, a couple doors down from Kens?

I also enjoyed the Subway place, at the corner of Tennessee & Dewey (across Dewey from DeGraff, I think there's a McDonalds there now). Also frequented a place next to it called Everybody's Tavern.

My first year in Tally, there was also a good saloon-style place next door to Bullwinkles; think it was called Longbranch or something like that. Had a happy hour deal, "Burger & a Beer for a Buck" which fit nicely into the budget of a poor college kid. They had a bunch of very high quality pool tables. After it closed I think the building sat empty for about 20 years; I could never figure out how/why nobody ever tried to make a go of it in there.

The Longbranch, with Crazy Horse downstairs.

I spent many nights at Bull Winkles, Yianni’s, Metropolis/ Oasis/Floyd’s, and Big Daddy’s. Good memories. Also the original Po Boy’s was great.

Last edited:
Buttwrinkles was always the Friday spot.
Tuesday's was Pot Bellys.
Saturday was the Lourve or Late Night Library.
I think CJ's was Thursday's ft nickel beer but I hated the drive out there. They also had super cheap oysters.

I spent a lot of time T Andrews too and Fat Tuesday when it was around. Cafe Cabernet quite a lot too.

I think most of those places are gone now.

I think CJ's was Thursday's ft nickel beer but I hated the drive out there. They also had super cheap oysters.

I spent a lot of time T Andrews too and Fat Tuesday when it was around. Cafe Cabernet quite a lot too.

Nothing like a tray full of warm Natural Light at CJ’s. I got my fake ID taken there.

Reactions: Random_John
Nothing like a tray full of warm Natural Light at CJ’s. I got my fake ID taken there.

I was popped in the parking lot of the Lourve drinking a beer. Like a dummy I gave the cops my fake ID. I had been using it for over a year; I truly believed it was me. I spent a day picking up garbage on the side of the road because of that decision.

Nah, she was just playing you for an easy mark. Said she would always find the guys who acted like they were a stud but really were insecure little boys and take them for all she could. She says thank you BTW. You were one of her easiest targets.

So he was your fluffer, then?

I know it's not the strip but does anyone remember nickle beer night at CJ's back in the 90's?
As I was reading down through this thread I was trying to remember the name of that joint. Thanks for bailing me (and my shitty memory) out. Spent a lot of time there, but not much money, thanks to nickle draft night. :)

You’ve got Buttwrinkles and CJ’s transposed, but otherwise accurate.

We used to kick off Thursday night at the No-Tel Tavern on W Tennessee. It was men’s night. 75 cent cans!

Last edited:
I know it's not the strip but does anyone remember nickle beer night at CJ's back in the 90's?

I remember drinking Jim Beam from the bottle on the drive over to CJs nickel beer night, that was a plan destined to fail. CJ's would give you small cups so you had to quickly learn the art of carrying 10-20 full little cups without spilling too much. I don't recall where I ended up puking but it was somewhere and somehow made it back safe.

As I was reading down through this thread I was trying to remember the name of that joint. Thanks for bailing me (and my shitty memory) out. Spent a lot of time there, but not much money, thanks to nickle draft night. :)

Sure thing. I had forgotten about it until this thread jogged my memory..........what memories I can recall from back then.

Reactions: EconSean
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT