ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane Florence

Fijimn

Veteran Seminole Insider
May 7, 2008
Still a ways out, but starting to look like N.C./Virginia are in the path...

I'd put it at the SC/NC border based on the GFS and Euro's latest runs...

Vqc9IH5.png

NKlRzGt.png

Be thankful you don’t live on Guam. They are about to get hammered come Tuesday or so.

Reactions: squiffynole
Eight and nine are more concerning to me...lower latitudes.

Man I really hope this thing miss HHI. I am sure nobody wants this thing though.

Yep and I am scheduled to fly home Saturday AM. Oh well hopefully only have to be concerned with hurricanes for another 2 years or so.

Yep and I am scheduled to fly home Saturday AM. Oh well hopefully only have to be concerned with hurricanes for another 2 years or so.
If you move into the WNC area you will still be concerned about hurricanes. The focus will shift away from wind damage to floods and land slides.

Time for @ChimpNole to chime in. Then again with 4 storms out there, he's probably a little busy.

Actually I'm not that busy. After being back at The Weather Channel in a freelance role for nearly two years, I have been basically layed off again. The company was sold earlier this year and many freelance jobs were cut.

Anyhow, no storm on record has taken this track and hit the US. This one may be the first. It will be close right now. Either an impact in the Carolina's or stalling just offshore before moving out are what the models are showing. It's still about 5 days out, so no one really knows attm.

If you move into the WNC area you will still be concerned about hurricanes. The focus will shift away from wind damage to floods and land slides.
True but better than living on an Island where a CAT 1 can destroy everything. I know people who are still not whole from Matthew 2 years ago.

Reactions: billanole
True but better than living on an Island where a CAT 1 can destroy everything. I know people who are still not whole from Matthew 2 years ago.
I believe it at some level, but we have had towns and communities permanently altered from floods in recent decades as well.
Floods at sea level are almost like a slow motion event that you can see coming. Steep slope events are anything but slow motion.
Hilton Head can laugh off a 4 or 5 inch rainfall. For Black Mountain it can be life changing. It becomes so much more of a luck of the draw, very localized and concentrated storm in the mountains.
The difference in impact can be as simple as which side of the mountain you happen to be on. For summer storms/ hurricanes, the impact is greatest on south facing slopes. For winter storms it is often on north facing slopes. Both suffer dramatically greater damage according to land use patterns by humans... more road building and slope alterations exacerbate slides and potential for catastrophic injury.

Last edited:
If you live on an island and a CAT 1 destroys everything you have, then you either lived in a home you had no business living in or you didnt care and thought you wouldn't get hit by a hurricane.

At this point I am happy we traveled to Rock Hill SC for a soccer tournament this weekend and not next weekend.

Special 1200PM advisory, this thing went from Cat 2-4 in three hours. The 130mph was predicted by 12AM, not 12PM.

Hurricane Florence Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL062018
1200 PM AST Mon Sep 10 2018

...FLORENCE BECOMES A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE...

Data from a NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate that Florence
has continued to rapidly stregthen and has maximum sustained winds
near 130 mph (195 km/h). The latest minimum central pressure based
on data from the aircraft is 946 mb (27.93 inches).

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCUAT1+shtml/101556.shtml?

Couple of my coworkers are already shipping out for early mobilization of disaster relief.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT