ADVERTISEMENT

I feel for these 4 counties.

divinnole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
All of us are feeling or will soon be feeling the crunch of business shut downs. Many will never reopen but no where is going to be hit harder than the Fl. Counties of Bay, Gulf, Calhoun, and Jackson. The businesses in these areas are still trying to recover from the devastating impact of hurricane Michael. Many restaurants did not reopen after the storm or they are just getting back to somewhat normal. Most of their cuisines are not the type for easy take out orders. I will not be surprised to see many of them never reopen.

A lot of of other small locally owned businesses are feeling the crunch too and many will not survive. I know a locally auto parts business owner in the area told me in the last week his business is down 60%. He expects it to only get worse. He was closed for 6 months after the storm and exhausted all of his reserves and maxed out credit. He said he will not survive if this runs more than a few weeks. I imagine his situation is not the only one in the area.

Reactions: Deerfuel2
I absolutely hate to hear this. So many of us who are old school Florida people think of these areas as examples of what's left of the state we grew up in.
Going through places like Carrabelle and Apalachicola where the nickname Forgotten Coast is used: I was always sort of glad it was forgotten because it wasn't paved over or the shoreline was still largely unspoiled and natural.
I hope these folks are able to hang on and are able to resource the help that the government is working to finalize now.

I stayed in my camper at Mexico Beach, for the last couple of days. (Where my house used to be) I went to Panama City to pick some things up on Friday. It was good to see people out and about. It was hopeful. Then the Gov shut everything down. I ate dinner in Port St Joe last night. They fudged on the eating "in" rule. The wait staff and bartenders don't know how they will make money going forward. It was not a pretty picture.

Talk this morning of closing Franklin County beaches for a bit.
Not so much for the rona but more out of concern from residents of a large influx of spring breakers.

ADVERTISEMENT