ADVERTISEMENT

I'm Hating This Weather

DFSNOLE

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
DeFuniak Springs Country Club
January brought ice and snow to the western panhandle but February has been just the opposite. Highs in the middle 80's. Lows in the middle 60's. This morning it's 67°. Our average high for this time of the year is 66°. Trees are budding out. Grass is greening up. Azaleas are in full bloom. And we're still in February!

I should not have to turn on the A/C this time of the year. I hate it.

January brought ice and snow to the western panhandle but February has been just the opposite. Highs in the middle 80's. Lows in the middle 60's. This morning it's 67°. Our average high for this time of the year is 66°. Trees are budding out. Grass is greening up. Azaleas are in full bloom. And we're still in February!

Couldn't agree more. Thrown in all the pollen + 95% humidity, and this is plain miserable.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I will third this sentiment and add that I'll need to fire up the lawn mower this weekend. So it begins.....

Speaking of the azaleas, I bet the guys at the Masters are not liking it either. And if you recall, it was warm all the way until Christmas day and now this. I would like to have more than six weeks of winter becuase it's a long, hot 46 weeks in between...

We are on track to have the highest average February recorded in our area. Not only is it very warm daytime temps, but not cooling down at night.
Cue the march of invasive species and stress on native ones as we don’t get enough sub freezing temps annually.

Appropriate for most of the posts on this board.

tenor.gif

I agree 70+ in Feb. is too damn hot....now get off my lawn!

February is the new April.

A few years ago I upgraded with two high efficiency A/C units and installed radiant barrier in the attic - it was a big pain but a bigger gain.

Weather History Tallahassee/ February 2018

Actual High/Historic Average High

1 feb 2018 68.0 / 64.9
2 feb 2018 63.0 / 65
3 feb 2018 63.0 / 65.2
4 feb 2018 73.9 / 65.4
5 feb 2018 71.1 / 65.5
6 feb 2018 75.0 / 65.7
7 feb 2018 75.0 / 65.9
8 feb 2018 71.1 / 66.1
9 feb 2018 69.1 / 66.3
10 feb 2018 71.1 / 66.5
11 feb 2018 69.1 / 66.7
12 feb 2018 68.0 / 66.9
13 feb 2018 72.0 / 67.1
14 feb 2018 73.0 / 67.3
15 feb 2018 79.0 / 67.5

Speaking of hot I've got business at the Capitol today which should be interesting in a heart wrenching kind of way.

That was my weekend. Left for the cruise and there was only a little poa annua in my yard. Get back and broad leaf weeds had popped up all over. I haven't even put the preemergent down yet because it's too early.

I suppose I have to learn all of this lingo now that I'm no longer a renter. All I know is that I haven't bothered signing up for a lawn service yet but my yard is telling me it's past time I do.

Man, sounds rough as I trudge in to the office in 28° and freezing rain. We were pushing 80° on Monday, yesterday the torrential rain moved in. Got to the gym at 3p yesterday and it was sprinkling and 66°, got home at 4:30p and it was 46° with thunderstorms.

Sheesh! I can't wait to get back to the Sunshine state. I'm down with warm temps and DST all year long!!!!!

Reactions: cmanole
Man, sounds rough as I trudge in to the office in 28° and freezing rain. We were pushing 80° on Monday, yesterday the torrential rain moved in. Got to the gym at 3p yesterday and it was sprinkling and 66°, got home at 4:30p and it was 46° with thunderstorms.
Yep, 3 inches of water in the rain gauge and it's 35 degrees outside.

That was my weekend. Left for the cruise and there was only a little poa annua in my yard. Get back and broad leaf weeds had popped up all over. I haven't even put the preemergent down yet because it's too early.

I never get that right. Just after the last freeze right? How the heck do we know when the last freeze is???

You and I both know that is entirely normal for February in North Texas!

It's 80+ all week in Jax, but next week will return to freezing cold - sorta - highs only 70.
I haven't even worn all the new sweaters I bought for this season yet. A girl's gotta adapt I guess. Almost too warm for yoga pants, my new uniform since I retired.

This never makes sense. Minnesota and Alaska have a ton of mosquitoes in the summer.
Hmmm... Maybe it's some bugs, but not all.

"When winter temperatures never reach a truly deep freeze, bugs make it through to spring unscathed and ready to multiply.

For instance, Lyme-disease-carrying deer ticks — which are not actually insects, but eight-legged arachnids, like spiders — are now seen in larger quantities and have spread farther to the north than they once roamed.

When temperatures drop well below 0° F, though, many individual insects die. The colder the temperature becomes, the fewer survive."

Link: https://www.farmersalmanac.com/do-cold-winters-kill-pests-18233

"To deal with the cold that will kill an adult mosquito, female mosquitoes lay their drought-resistant eggs in protected areas. The eggs are resistant to the cold and being frozen. They lie in wait for extended daylight, warmer temperatures, and the presence of standing water that will come with the thaw of Spring temperatures."

Link: http://triad.mosquitosquad.com/blog/2015/7/8/how-does-a-mosquito-survive-extreme-cold-temperatures/

I agree with you all that this weather sucks. But I also ask that you keep the whining down about your horrific 80 degree days. I drove to work in 3 degrees today.

You are all wimps. I love this weather. 80 degrees, 95% humidity, sun shining. Life is grand and its better topless.
The problem up here is that the really nice days are happening in the middle of the week where the working stiffs can't get out and enjoy them. For the weekends, we're getting cooler and rainier days.

It's February 21st and the high today in NYC is 71 degrees.
I'll take it b/c I hate the cold but this sure as hell is weird. Like making a deal with the devil.

Reactions: squiffynole
This never makes sense. Minnesota and Alaska have a ton of mosquitoes in the summer.

Real big difference between the species of the permafrost and the lower 48 (especially in the South), but with that said, those species also survived the glacial ages with no problem so it's more of a wives tale than anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT