ADVERTISEMENT

Imagine by John Lennon

GwinnettNole

Seminole Insider
Sep 4, 2001
Is this song in the top 10 songs ever made? Top 50? Top 100? Not even close?

What do you think?

I'm learning to play the piano, this one and "Let it Be" are my go two songs. I butcher them but both are really tremendous songs, imo. Imagine's lyrics propels it to the top IMO- and saying this as a believer in a higher power. John Lennon was such a hippy "freak" huh?

Reactions: SoddyNole
I was and am one of the rare child of the late 60s early 70s who never liked the Beatles even a little bit. However if I had to pick one song by any member of the group it would be 'imagine". The one verse you reference would be the reason I don't like it a lot.

Is this song in the top 10 songs ever made? Top 50? Top 100? Not even close?

What do you think?

I'm learning to play the piano, this one and "Let it Be" are my go two songs. I butcher them but both are really tremendous songs, imo. Imagine's lyrics propels it to the top IMO- and saying this as a believer in a higher power. John Lennon was such a hippy "freak" huh?

Imagine would most likely be somewhere in my top 100.

How long have you been playing/taking lessons? How is it going?

Reactions: GwinnettNole
I was and am one of the rare child of the late 60s early 70s who never liked the Beatles even a little bit. However if I had to pick one song by any member of the group it would be 'imagine". The one verse you reference would be the reason I don't like it a lot.
You must be the other one. I was NEVER a Beatles fan either. Much preferred the Stones, the Kinks, and even the Animals.

Reactions: MagNoleA
You must be the other one. I was NEVER a Beatles fan either. Much preferred the Stones, the Kinks, and even the Animals.
I also preferred being stoned, having kinks and was often called an animal.
So thank you. I guess. I was such a naiive impressionable young lad once I arrived on campus. :)

Imagine would most likely be somewhere in my top 100.

How long have you been playing/taking lessons? How is it going?

I've been practicing since Christmas- received a keyboard, a casio. I love it.
My brother and my father play the piano, growing up I wanted to do my own instrument so I went the saxophone route. I like it the sax but looking back I should have done piano- it really is the coolest "instrument" imo.

But it's hard as all get out. The left hand/ base really trips me up. But I'm a beginner.

Reactions: SoddyNole

Yea Lennon was an interesting beast. I found quotes where he defends Christianity/ Jesus, for example. Then in other places, like this song-- it clearly implies the world would be a better place without religion.

I wonder how/if Yoko Ono impacted his views.

Yea Lennon was an interesting beast. I found quotes where he defends Christianity/ Jesus, for example. Then in other places, like this song-- it clearly implies the world would be a better place without religion.

Apparently John had deep insecurities from a difficult childhood.

I do know the other Beatles didn't care for her.
Ringo

Reactions: goldmom
^^^^DESPISE the Beatles. Welcome to the Club.

Big time Beatles fan here. I have them at number one on my list with the Stones at number 2. It's the song writing/lyrics along with the musical innovations that make them my favorite. The Stones are awesome, just a notch behind the Beatles.

I appreciate the incredible contribution the Beatles made to music, I just never cared for most of their music.
That's one of the wonders of music, art etc...what one person loves, another doesn't.

Is it that or he is simply listing what we tend to fight about? He seems to advocating that we are a product of our environment and if you removed certain triggers you would cease to have the undesired reactions. Of course anyone who had read the TC for 5 minutes will quickly tell you that we can come up with any and every subject to fight over. :Face with Tears of Joy

The song is a nice thought and a lovely concept and ironically parallels to how some would view the afterlife. Living in peach with great joy without our issues of life greatly preceded Lennon's tune and maybe he envisioned us becoming more than we are or was simply thinking out loud in a song. I wonder if he would have been of the same opinion today.

Apparently John had deep insecurities from a difficult childhood.

Interesting interview. Isn’t it amazing that we , the general public, see these stars whether athletes, musicians or actors as having the perfect life. Yet, seemingly more times than not, there are underlying issues causing insecurities, depression or just general unhappiness in these stars.

Interesting interview. Isn’t it amazing that we , the general public, see these stars whether athletes, musicians or actors as having the perfect life. Yet, seemingly more times than not, there are underlying issues causing insecurities, depression or just general unhappiness in these stars.
The 27 Club is a perfect example...brilliant yet obviously tortured....it’s a shame.

• Wow
Reactions: Dr. Nole
I was never a fan of the song or John Lennon's solo career. It's probably just me. I feel the same way about a few other wildly popular acts.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
Not my favorite song of his, but good. I can understand why some people don’t care for the Beatles music, but you could never overstate how popular they are/were...google famous foursomes in history, you will find them there....biggest selling CD of the first decade of the new century, the Beatles “Ones”....unlike Elvis or Michael Jackson, you can turn on Sirius satellite radio and find their music on multiple stations...if any artist currently recording stopped tomorrow, will anyone be talking about them 50 years from now? Don’t think so...

Not my favorite song of his, but good. I can understand why some people don’t care for the Beatles music, but you could never overstate how popular they are/were...google famous foursomes in history, you will find them there....biggest selling CD of the first decade of the new century, the Beatles “Ones”....unlike Elvis or Michael Jackson, you can turn on Sirius satellite radio and find their music on multiple stations...if any artist currently recording stopped tomorrow, will anyone be talking about them 50 years from now? Don’t think so...

There is an Elvis radio on Sirius. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT