ADVERTISEMENT

Invest 98

It’s already very windy here but the air is much cooler than a summer storm would be. Live pictures from the beaches are crazy. Seafoam is covering A1A in Vilano Beach

It’s already very windy here but the air is much cooler than a summer storm would be. Live pictures from the beaches are crazy. Seafoam is covering A1A in Vilano Beach

Anybody know if the team would be able to bus to Birmingham and fly out of there? Or would they disrupt their practice schedule and leave a day early?

Anybody know if the team would be able to bus to Birmingham and fly out of there? Or would they disrupt their practice schedule and leave a day early?
As a veteran of these things, I don't anticipate the weather being bad enough here in Tally to prevent air traffic from coming and going. Of course I could be wrong, so I also wonder if there is indeed a contingency plan.

As a veteran of these things, I don't anticipate the weather being bad enough here in Tally to prevent air traffic from coming and going. Of course I could be wrong, so I also wonder if there is indeed a contingency plan.
They could bus over to Panama City if need be, no need to go to B-ham.
No classes on Friday anyway

The last hurricane to make landfall in the month of November was Hurricane Kate, when the storm hit the Florida panhandle on Nov. 21, 1985 as a Category 2 hurricane. Kate came ashore near Mexico Beach, Florida with winds of 100 mph.

I hate these damn storms.

Announced this afternoon that Leon county schools are closed tomorrow.
Going to rain tomorrow off and on with some wind. 60s all day. Clears out Friday so we can enjoy clear skies and a fire for the Syracuse game.

Watching a news channel. About 30 minutes ago they go to an on the scene reporter. He is at Daytona Beach on the boardwalk there.

As the surf is churning away and covering the beach, here is this guy on the boardwalk pointing out areas of the pier that have been washed awayu. He is standing right next to a gapping hole in the pier while the cameraman is showing the waves below pounding on the pier..

And then to top it off, they have their news truck on the boardwalk as well.

Could there be anything more idiotic? You are standing on a structure that is falling away in spots and is sticking out into the more than a tad choppy ocean reporting on how the waves are making parts of the structure fall away into the churning ocean. AND you park your truck on it to boot.

Dumb, dumb, dumb IMO.

Watching a news channel. About 30 minutes ago they go to an on the scene reporter. He is at Daytona Beach on the boardwalk there.

As the surf is churning away and covering the beach, here is this guy on the boardwalk pointing out areas of the pier that have been washed awayu. He is standing right next to a gapping hole in the pier while the cameraman is showing the waves below pounding on the pier..

And then to top it off, they have their news truck on the boardwalk as well.

Could there be anything more idiotic? You are standing on a structure that is falling away in spots and is sticking out into the more than a tad choppy ocean reporting on how the waves are making parts of the structure fall away into the churning ocean. AND you park your truck on it to boot.

Dumb, dumb, dumb IMO.
Darwin Award nominee.

We had heavy rain and wind yesterday. Never lost power, not even the Direct TV went out. Part of the pier in Lauderdale By The Sea is washed away. The storm surge the news was showing on the Hollywood Boardwalk was crazy! She came close to use during the king high tide so the ocean was running into the intercostal. Never saw that before.

Some streets are still flooded but overall it is a beautiful, partly sunny, breezy day in South Florida.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
We’re getting lots of rain here in Jax and gusty winds. Our worries are tornadoes.
Beach erosion is a major issue in Volusia. Several single-family homes have already collapsed, and a few significant condominium buildings are in danger. Full moon is not helping.

John Morgan filming new grotesque commercials even as we speak.

A lot of wind starting yesterday afternoon and light but steady rain since late last night.

Totally ruined my to do chore of pulling weeds in the back flower bed. Drat!!!

One would think that more stringent zoning laws would have been enacted.

Sam Kinison has some advice for them...
:p
Animated GIF

Reactions: NoleLizards
Reactions: goldmom
Can't imagine being the buyer or seller or listing agent or insurer for this $2mil pending sale, beachfront at Wilbur-by-the-Sea. How anybody can afford beachfront or even few rows back insurance now in FL escapes me... self-insurance looking like a more and more attractive option.
I mean if you can cover 12 grand a month in mortgage payments what's another 7k in insurance costs every year?

Can't imagine being the buyer or seller or listing agent or insurer for this $2mil pending sale, beachfront at Wilbur-by-the-Sea. How anybody can afford beachfront or even few rows back insurance now in FL escapes me... self-insurance looking like a more and more attractive option.
Huh?? You would "self-insure" a several million dollar property because you cannot afford the casualty insurance premiums for that property? LOL.

Huh?? You would "self-insure" a several million dollar property because you cannot afford the casualty insurance premiums for that property? LOL.
I know you like to make overly self-assured mocking pronouncements about every topic on here, but self-insuring in FL has been becoming less and less of an LOL for many years now. (and we're not really talking the "casualty" aspect here vs. property - primarily wind & flood)

Lots of factors go into deciding whether or not to self-insure - location and storm history, storm abatement features, cost/availability of insurance, deductibles, owner's risk tolerance and alternate investment returns, etc etc.

I'm not saying I personally would choose to self-insure, but it's certainly an attractive option for many, due to lower availability of insurers near the water and skyrocketing premiums, along with the higher and higher deductibles required to find something reasonably affordable. One of the reasons I sold my own beachview escape 14 years ago, in Santa Rosa Beach along 30A, was that even though I was up on a hill, hundreds of yards from the beach and separated by a nature preserve buffer, and over-engineered against the elements like a fortress, the cheapest insurance I could find (wind + flood) had exceeded $5,200 per year, and jumping nearly 10% annually. Many of my neighbors chose to self-insure instead. I wasn't willing to take that gamble. I bet that insurance well exceeds $10K now.

Not sure how accurate this article is, but they say 12% of FL homeowners chose to self-insure in 2021. I have no idea how much higher or lower this is for beachfront/beachview properties.

A lot of wealthier beach house owners have different risk tolerances than the average homeowner, and I can definitely see them being more and more likely to roll the dice and self-insure as policies get cancelled and rates and deductibles escalate. Every discussion I've seen says that self-insurance has been increasing... not sure what portion of that is due to necessity (lack of availability or just house-rich and cash poor and can't afford it) vs. intentional strategic choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFSNOLE
I know you like to make overly self-assured mocking pronouncements about every topic on here, but self-insuring in FL has been becoming less and less of an LOL for many years now. (and we're not really talking the "casualty" aspect here vs. property - primarily wind & flood)

Lots of factors go into deciding whether or not to self-insure - location and storm history, storm abatement features, cost/availability of insurance, deductibles, owner's risk tolerance and alternate investment returns, etc etc.

I'm not saying I personally would choose to self-insure, but it's certainly an attractive option for many, due to lower availability of insurers near the water and skyrocketing premiums, along with the higher and higher deductibles required to find something reasonably affordable. One of the reasons I sold my own beachview escape 14 years ago, in Santa Rosa Beach along 30A, was that even though I was up on a hill, hundreds of yards from the beach and separated by a nature preserve buffer, and over-engineered against the elements like a fortress, the cheapest insurance I could find (wind + flood) had exceeded $5,200 per year, and jumping nearly 10% annually. Many of my neighbors chose to self-insure instead. I wasn't willing to take that gamble. I bet that insurance well exceeds $10K now.

Not sure how accurate this article is, but they say 12% of FL homeowners chose to self-insure in 2021. I have no idea how much higher or lower this is for beachfront/beachview properties.

A lot of wealthier beach house owners have different risk tolerances than the average homeowner, and I can definitely see them being more and more likely to roll the dice and self-insure as policies get cancelled and rates and deductibles escalate. Every discussion I've seen says that self-insurance has been increasing... not sure what portion of that is due to necessity (lack of availability or just house-rich and cash poor and can't afford it) vs. intentional strategic choice.
LOL. OK.

Having managed luxury oceanfront condo buildings in Ponte Vedra I’ll just say you could not give me any type of property on the ocean. 😕

Reactions: NoleSince1961
Having managed luxury oceanfront condo buildings in Ponte Vedra I’ll just say you could not give me any type of property on the ocean. 😕
This is a very eye opening and thought provoking statement that further developed my level and depth of self awareness.

ADVERTISEMENT