ADVERTISEMENT

Is anybody a fan of Red Dirt country on here?

Nole Daddy

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
i just got into Red Dirt Texas Country over the past 6 months, and I am addicted. Who else likes his stuff?

Best music out there. Can't listen to anything on "country" radio or anything out of Nashville. But also funny when the likes of Kenny chesney, tim McGraw and others take Texas country songs to top of Nashville charts.

Reactions: Nole Daddy
What exactly is red dirt country? I like outlaw classic country and acts like George Strait and Alan Jackson. This new country sounds like redneck hip hop hump in the truck spring break music.

What exactly is red dirt country? I like outlaw classic country and acts like George Strait and Alan Jackson. This new country sounds like redneck hip hop hump in the truck spring break music.
It's stuff that comes from most independent labels and not out of Nashville. It's much more like Waylon and Willie than the country played on the radio these days. It started in Texas, but now there are bands from all over the place that sing it.

I love Red Dirt music. Been listening to it since I was a teenager!
Yeah I remember you responded when I put a thread up when I was going to see The Randy Rogers Band and Wade Bowen.

Last edited:
Best music out there. Can't listen to anything on "country" radio or anything out of Nashville. But also funny when the likes of Kenny chesney, tim McGraw and others take Texas country songs to top of Nashville charts.
I agree.

You should try Bakersfield country if you like Texas country. Very heavy with the steel guitar. And there isn't a sh^*ier place in the US- which always makes for good country.

I am heading to San Antonio in a couple of weeks and I am going to try to see William Clark Green. Then I will be in New Braunfels and I want to go see Stoney Larue.

I hung out in Fredricksburg Texas for 4 days a few years ago, went to Luchenbach every day and drank beer and listened to the best bands and folks coming over from Austin. There was this unreal singer that came by 2 different times I was there with red hair that looked like the girl in the B-52s she would sit in on 4-5 songs. Turned out she was the singer for Southern Culture on the Skids, we sat and talked to her for about 15 minutes one day. I am now a huge SCOTS fan. There were so many great musicians sitting on picnic tables jamming. It's the Holy Grail to people that like this music. I will take my RV there one day and live for a month, I might not ever leave- it's that great of a place.

Turnpike Troubadours are great and although it's not TEXAS, SteelDrivers and American Aquarium is good stuff these days!!!
Turnpike and American Aquarium are awesome. American Awuarium played in Jacksonville last weekend, but I missed it. I am ticked off about that.

I hung out in Fredricksburg Texas for 4 days a few years ago, went to Luchenbach every day and drank beer and listened to the best bands and folks coming over from Austin. There was this unreal singer that came by 2 different times I was there with red hair that looked like the girl in the B-52s she would sit in on 4-5 songs. Turned out she was the singer for Southern Culture on the Skids, we sat and talked to her for about 15 minutes one day. I am now a huge SCOTS fan. There were so many great musicians sitting on picnic tables jamming. It's the Holy Grail to people that like this music. I will take my RV there one day and live for a month, I might not ever leave- it's that great of a place.
I would love to go out to Luchenbach while I am out there. I have the family though. My buddy that you met at the GT game went there yesterday, and is hanging out.

I would love to go out to Luchenbach while I am out there. I have the family though. My buddy that you met at the GT game went there yesterday, and is hanging out.

Luckenbach is something everyone should experience at least once. The most memorable (some of it I can't remember, lol) times I went were in 1997 and 1998 to the Willie Nelson 4th of July picnic.

Luckenbach is just a cool place in general.

Luckenbach is something everyone should experience at least once. The most memorable (some of it I can't remember, lol) times I went were in 1997 and 1998 to the Willie Nelson 4th of July picnic.

Yeah it's something I would like to see in a few weeks.

Willie's 4th of July picnic was still being held at that ginormous truck stop on I35 south of Dallas back then. But I will vouch for you saying you can't remember - you were in college back then. o_O

Turnpike and American Aquarium are awesome. American Awuarium played in Jacksonville last weekend, but I missed it. I am ticked off about that.

Anyone in tally should go see BJ Barham on August 24 @ 5th & Thomas. Great singer/song writer.

Incorrect. The 4th of July Picnic was held in Luckenbach for the latter half of the 90s. My memory might not be good but I know where I was and most of the people I was with :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Nelson's_Fourth_of_July_Picnic
It's been held all over the place. The first ones were at the Pedernales Country Club on Lake Travis (Willie owned part of it) and then bounced around.

Luckenback is 3 buildings, one of which is a post office, in case anyone was wondering.

Anyone in tally should go see BJ Barham on August 24 @ 5th & Thomas. Great singer/song writer.
I am going to try to make that, but that is a long drive to go to Tally in the middle of the week. You and I could bring down the house though.

American Aquarium is great and I look forward to hearing Barham's solo work.

BJ is cool guy from next town over from me in NC which he writes most of his songs about along with NC State. Can't wait to get new album in a few weeks titled after my home county. His performance of "I hope he breaks you're heart" from Ziggys is still classic on youtube.

BJ is cool guy from next town over from me in NC which he writes most of his songs about along with NC State. Can't wait to get new album in a few weeks titled after my home county. His performance of "I hope he breaks you're heart" from Ziggys is still classic on youtube.
The guy that got me into Red Dirt is in his thread, Porta John. One of the first songs he played for me was that song, and it's just great. All of AA is really good.

BJ is actually going to play my house in Atlanta. Was going to be August but likely November now.

Gruene Hall is a good place to catch a show. It's the oldest active dance hall in Texas (I think).

Gruene Hall is a good place to catch a show. It's the oldest active dance hall in Texas (I think).
Yeah I will be checking out Gruene Hall. There is not anyone singing there that I want to see the days I am there, but I will be checking it out. I am going to try to see Stoney Larue at a bar called the River Road Ice House.

BJ is actually going to play my house in Atlanta. Was going to be August but likely November now.

Thats sick! Yeh I actually saw him in Greensboro a week before I left on deployment. I can't wait to get home in the fall to check him out. I'm missing a lot of good tour stops right now but keeping up with him on social media. Love Rockingham!

I was thinking about going to see Ray Wylie Hubbard. Get chicken fried steak at the Gristmill while in Gruene.

Hopefully the river will be down by the time you get there.
Yeah I am hoping to do the River.

Luckenbach

13434803_10154343810951869_3528494910595433386_n.jpg

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT