ADVERTISEMENT

I've got an HOA doozey for the lawyers in the room!!!!

FreeFlyNole

Seminole Insider
Jan 2, 2008
So I had my house painted this weekend:

Old paint scheme:
23674860_10156762934180410_2641967517527899852_o.jpg

New Paint Scheme:
23674709_10156762934170410_6654290403439365851_o.jpg

The problem is that it was supposed to look like this:
23799913_10156763142385410_1286767336011495019_o.jpg

So here's the deal. I got it approved through the Architectural Review Board (emails below) and they gave me the paint names and numbers and I gave them to the painters and when I came home it was this color!

I got the colors from the HOA and gave them to the painter.
He went and got the colors from the approved vendor.
He painted the house.

Now the HOA is saying that it's not an approved color. Well I'm not paying another $5K to paint my house again, what do I do if it's decided that I have to paint my house again? Who pays, who is at fault?

Here are the emails in order:

Jim / Brittany,

Attached please find the request for a paint color scheme change. We reside at 708 FreeflyNole Drive. I have also attached a picture of the exact house we would like to copy. This home color pattern is not on a house near us. That being said the Resident Handbook says that we should reach out to you for the original color scheme. Please send me the color scheme for 259 NearFreeflys Drive. That is the color house we wish to change ours to.

Thank you in Advance.

FreeflyNole

Attached to this was the third pic from above, and the document for a ARB approval for a color change:

Here was the reply with the approval:

FreeflyNole,

The closest color scheme I have for the below home is MPH-9

Body- CC- Tofino CL3002W

Trim- CC- Old Washer CL 32902W

Door-CC- Tribeca- CL3006A

The below picture looks bluish- green on my screen the door on my color scheme is a dark green and the below door is red which is from MPH-14 Door: CC-Pomegranate CLv1109N

Shawn Gooden is a rep from Sherwin Williams and is familiar with the original color wheel codes and has matched paint up in the community for other owners.

Thanks,

Brittany, Community Association Manager

Email I sent this morning:

Brittany (HOA manager) / Rod (President of the HOA) / Jim, (Head of the ARB who approved the colors)

As discussed below I had my house painted this weekend. I copied and pasted the below color combination for the painter to buy and went by Sherwin Williams myself to make sure that they could accommodate the colors.

They painted the house in one day. When I got home mid day the house was 80% done, I noticed that the paint color didn’t match the green I specified in my picture in this thread (259 NearFreeflyNole Drive). We double checked the numbers and the painter went back to Sherwin Williams and had them mix another sample of the same paint code. The paint came out the same.

That being said they finished the job. The house is a blue green, but more blue than green. The trim and the door seem the match those others in the neighborhood. I’m perfectly okay with it, but it doesn’t match the other green houses in the neighborhood.

As stated, I got the exact code you suggested, and double checked with Sherwin Williams. I just want it noted here in case anyone complains I did exactly what you said. Below is a picture of the house repainted.

Kind regards,
FreeflyNole

Now, the guy Jim is my direct next door neighbor, and a good friend of mine. So he has been giving me the background and the HOA, being Brittany, and a hand full of busy body neighbors have already complained that it's not on the Sherwin Williams approved color wheel (one day in mind you). And that they are deciding if they are going to try to force me to paint it again.

I want to be prepared, who would be to blame here?

Last edited:
Well, I guess you will have to burn it down and start over. On a side note, HOA's suck donkey balls. You need to consult with a real estate lawyer. Hopefully you can get one to write you a nice letter for a few hundred dollars.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Is it as different as the pictures make it look, or do the shadows make a huge difference?

New color looks good -- much better than the old scheme. Hope the HOA isn't too much of a pain in the ass.

Put a couple statues in front and it could be the house from "My big fat Greek wedding".

I seriously looked for the other thread to go with this inside joke" thread". With all due respect that is hideous bro, sorry.

If you already know that some of the HoA is grumbling, you need to go on the offensive. Write them a letter raising hell about how you were given bad info from them and you - and your wife - hate how it looks. Make it clear to them that you expect them to pay to have their error corrected.

Not much of a doozy. You screwed up. ps. it looks like crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't the painter usually present the customer with some type of color scheme first, to meet the customer's approval?

We actually think it looks nice. Trip Tych, how did we screw up by ordering the suggested paint from the suggested supplier? Either the HOA gave us the wrong paint code, or Sherwin Williams mixed the wrong paint (twice).

I just ordered as directed, and the painter just applied the paint. Simple as that.

I think that photo in the morning sun, about 0730 today, makes it look a brighter blue that it is in real life, it's sort of a blue green, auqua-ish. I live on the beach, it's an appropriate color for the location.

Doesn't the painter usually present the customer with some type of color scheme first, to meet the customer's approval?

I don't think so here, since the HOA is directive in the available colors patterns available. I got the approval and gave them the numbers. It's literally paint by numbers.

Either the paint for that code has changed over the past years, or something.

Those shutters....woof.
If you notice one is missing, the hurricane blew it away, I'm having it fabricated as I type this, when it comes they are going to be repainted a midnight navy blue, as dark as you can get them.

I agree that fake shutters are stupid though, I have no idea who started that ridiculous trend.

I’m really kinda sorry. Looking at it again, it really is a complete disaster. And that makes me hurt, that 5k could have gone to feeding hungry families or Toys for Tots.

Eh, I don’t really need to explain why you screwed up, you know you screwed up. I never trust a Brittany, never met a smart one. T’s & P’s.

Meh, you guys wouldn't know beauty if it sat on your face.

Either way, you're not much legal help either.

My wife is a Gator, if I did go with the orange accents I'd probably get laid more.

Point of clarification: Brittany is NOT the HOA, she works for the HOA and follows their directives.
That said, if you have the email trail you may be able to get them to help pay for correcting the color.
Here's a scoop: Blue houses do NOT sell as well as other colors. Everyone's taste is their own but blue houses are not attractive. Sorry.

It's Smurfy.

Dude...the baby blue does not look good. The way it is supposed to look, looks GREAT!

Can't you just do your due diligence and find out if the paint was mixed incorrectly, or if the HOA gave you wrong colors?

Once you find that out, then you will know the next question to ask.

I wouldn't think you are on the hook unless you gave the Sherwin Williams associate/painter a color code different than the correct color code that was given to you by the HOA.

Reactions: goldmom
oh yeah...not an attorney..but it's a 5k paint job we are talking about...not sure if an attorney would even take the case. You could take it to Judge Judy though...:)))))

Last edited:
Reactions: Seminole'13
More pictures may help. The house is very blue but the house you submitted as what you were modeling after is gray with black shutters.

Using Google I find that the paint codes you have are not Color Wheel... they are "General paint". Under general paint color codes they match the house you submitted. http://www.myperfectcolor.com/en/color/280314_General-Paint-CL-3003W-Tofino#prettyPhoto

If you look at the color makeup it has nearly equal parts blue and red in it (71.37% and 71.76% respectively). it has slightly more green at 75.29%. This means it should look like a slightly green gray color. Considering they seemed to nail the front door and the off white color Sherwin Williams is on the hook IMO.

I'm sorry to laugh at the misfortune of others, but that is hilarious in a horrible way, coming home to see your house painted like that.

I know that it's not their responsibility, but I'm kind of surprised nobody on the paint crew went "Wait what? Are you sure about that?" when they saw the pain.

Or however you say that in Spanish.

I'm sorry to laugh at the misfortune of others, but that is hilarious in a horrible way, coming home to see your house painted like that.

I know that it's not their responsibility, but I'm kind of surprised nobody on the paint crew went "Wait what? Are you sure about that?" when they saw the pain.

Or however you say that in Spanish.

“When they saw the pain” lol

Actually, I just looked again. part of the problem is the paint code and name don't match. 3003W is Tofino. 3002W is called Potion

So I just got back from Sherwin Williams, with printed emails and pictures.

They made another batch, and in the store it looked green/grey as discussed and as the picture looks. But they had the cans from yesterdays job that the painters returned be recycled, and they made me a swatch with both on it, they look the same, I have it sitting here in my office, but if you go outside and put it up against the house they look exactly the same as the color on the house. It's like some mindf&*k optical illusion, I kid you not.

Check these pictures out.

New sample next too the sample I just had them make, you can see that these were painted at two different times/strokes:
23795039_10156763652770410_7133695147420835030_n.jpg

Then here is by the garage:
23722209_10156763657355410_3620588236778504587_n.jpg

Full Sun:
23659473_10156763682670410_8995935011098752782_n.jpg

Shady side of the house:
23795757_10156763657715410_8358938031181758312_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RTM58 and HulaNole
ADVERTISEMENT