ADVERTISEMENT

Laptop/Tablet - What would you chose?

Fijimn

Veteran Seminole Insider
May 7, 2008
We are selecting new computers for work. I travel quite a lot and currently have a Surface Pro. It's ok, not great. Don't know how better they have gotten - our choices are.

Latitud
XPS 2-in-1
Surface Laptop
Surface Book 2-in-1
MacBook Pro
Yoga 910

We are selecting new computers for work. I travel quite a lot and currently have a Surface Pro. It's ok, not great. Don't know how better they have gotten - our choices are.

Latitud
XPS 2-in-1
Surface Laptop
Surface Book 2-in-1
MacBook Pro
Yoga 910

I’m a HUGE fan of the Lenovo Yogas and have two of them at home (gold one for my wife and silver for me) and bought my sister and mother one as well. Easy to use, ingenious yet sturdy design and not ridiculously overpriced.

Reactions: Gonolz
For the most part drafting documents, reviewing documents and internet research plus email.
MacBook Pro is way too much for that. Mine just broke down after a lot of use, but downgraded to an Air and it is fine. Kind of wish I would have got the iPad Pro as seems easier to haul and the attachable keyboard is nice.

Then find something light with a design form you like that doesn't have terrible battery life. You don't need a lot of processing power. Hell, a chromebook has enough processing power to do what you want, but probably won't run Microsoft Office suite.

A lot of the attorneys that got a Surface switched to a laptop (the Yoga) because they were not happy with the design and it doesn't function like a Ipad. Not a lot of apps. I kept my Surface, but had to replace the keyboard. I might go with the Yoga. The good thing is that the firm sets up "offices' at the retreat so you can give each device a test run.

Looking at the specs of all those they're pretty similar aside from the apple products. SSD is where to go at this point. Fast and stable so long as they don't crash in the first few weeks. I like my lenovo, but it's a full workstation, not a convertible.

A lot of the attorneys that got a Surface switched to a laptop (the Yoga) because they were not happy with the design and it doesn't function like a Ipad. Not a lot of apps. I kept my Surface, but had to replace the keyboard. I might go with the Yoga. The good thing is that the firm sets up "offices' at the retreat so you can give each device a test run.

For me, I prefer using the Lenovo (a nice laptop/tablet hybrid that works best as a laptop) in combination with my iPad (I’m behind now, “just” the larger iPad Air 2) and iPhone. The Lenovo has enough power to run everything I need from a productivity standpoint, is Windows based for those programs that require it, and has a great purposebuilt keyboard. Meanwhile the iPad and iPhone are FAR more stable than their competitors and are great for use in meetings and screwing around on the internet while still able to use Word and whatnot.

We have 40 or so Surface Pros and while they are nice they barely last 2 hours on battery power and take 8 hours to charge. We likely use them and run programs that most people don't; but the power issue is a big problem. We will not be buying anymore of them.

We switched to all surface pros about a year ago. Not perfect but fantastic for travel and just taking home. I used to travel with an iPad and a big laptop and now I have one light solution. Daily it's great too and now that we all have one brand we have a backup if we have issues

I have MacPro and it sucks. Looks super sleek and cool, but I don't really like.

Not sure if the problem is the actual Mac or the cloud services I use on it, or what.

But my counterparts with Lenovo swear by them even they look stale and boring.

I had a latitude prior to this job and had no complaints.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 (3 years old) and have been perfectly happy with it as a laptop and a tablet.

That’s the machine that sold me on it. My wife had one while I had a slightly older Dell of some sort. Then when my mom’s laptop stopped working well earlier this year, I decided to upgrade and handed my wife’s Yoga 2 to my mom and then bought 3 new 910 i7s for me, my wife and my sister.

Last edited:
Two yogas in this house as well.

Love it with only one exception. The right shift key is too small and it took me a while to not hit the page up key when trying to hit shift. Aside from that it's been awesome and eventually you get used to it.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
ADVERTISEMENT