ADVERTISEMENT

Latson sweeps ACC weekly honors for third time

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
Via FSU sports information:

Florida State Women’s Basketball freshman guard Ta’Niya Latson continued her extraordinary season by sweeping ACC Player and Rookie of the Week, announced on Monday by the conference. It is the third time Latson has swept both awards this season.

Overall, Latson has won all eight ACC Rookie of the Week awards this season, and has also won three ACC Player of the Week honors.

In road wins at 13th-ranked UNC and Georgia Tech last week, Latson averaged 26.5 points, 8.0 rebounds, went 20-of-22 from the free throw line, shot 48.3 percent overall (14-of-29) and 41.7 percent (5-of-12) from 3-point range.

Latson recorded scoring performances of 21 points and 32 points against the Tar Heels and Yellow Jackets, respectively. Against Georgia Tech, she went 13-of-13 from the free throw line, setting the FSU single-game record for best shooting performance from the charity stripe.

The Miami, Fla., native now has 15 performances with 20+ points this season, six ahead of the next closest competitor in the league. Of the ACC’s six games this season where a player has 30+ points, Latson has four of them. It is the most 30-point games in a season by a Seminole since WNBA All-Star Natasha Howard had five in the 2013-14 season.

In FSU’s 37-point outburst in the fourth quarter vs. Georgia Tech, Latson scored 12 of her 32 points in the frame to help the Seminoles break away for a 99-58 win, their most points ever scored in their 54 meetings with the Yellow Jackets. Her scoring load the last two games raised her overall points per game to 25.2 points and her ACC scoring average to 24.7.

According to Synergy Basketball, Latson entered the New Year ranking fifth in the country in offensive efficiency, averaging 1.04 points per possession.

Florida State returns home to host Clemson on Thursday, Jan. 5, in a Hoops for Troops contest that will recognize the military at 6 p.m.

Hope Brooke has some great success with the portal, b/c most of the 24 studs are committed elsewhere.

Hope Brooke has some great success with the portal, b/c most of the 24 studs are committed elsewhere.
Brooke is doing pretty dadgummed good. Have you watched them play? They are well coached and very efficient. She will use the portal wisely.

• Love
Reactions: Mortain44
Via FSU sports information:

Florida State Women’s Basketball freshman guard Ta’Niya Latson continued her extraordinary season by sweeping ACC Player and Rookie of the Week, announced on Monday by the conference. It is the third time Latson has swept both awards this season.

Overall, Latson has won all eight ACC Rookie of the Week awards this season, and has also won three ACC Player of the Week honors.

In road wins at 13th-ranked UNC and Georgia Tech last week, Latson averaged 26.5 points, 8.0 rebounds, went 20-of-22 from the free throw line, shot 48.3 percent overall (14-of-29) and 41.7 percent (5-of-12) from 3-point range.

Latson recorded scoring performances of 21 points and 32 points against the Tar Heels and Yellow Jackets, respectively. Against Georgia Tech, she went 13-of-13 from the free throw line, setting the FSU single-game record for best shooting performance from the charity stripe.

The Miami, Fla., native now has 15 performances with 20+ points this season, six ahead of the next closest competitor in the league. Of the ACC’s six games this season where a player has 30+ points, Latson has four of them. It is the most 30-point games in a season by a Seminole since WNBA All-Star Natasha Howard had five in the 2013-14 season.

In FSU’s 37-point outburst in the fourth quarter vs. Georgia Tech, Latson scored 12 of her 32 points in the frame to help the Seminoles break away for a 99-58 win, their most points ever scored in their 54 meetings with the Yellow Jackets. Her scoring load the last two games raised her overall points per game to 25.2 points and her ACC scoring average to 24.7.

According to Synergy Basketball, Latson entered the New Year ranking fifth in the country in offensive efficiency, averaging 1.04 points per possession.

Florida State returns home to host Clemson on Thursday, Jan. 5, in a Hoops for Troops contest that will recognize the military at 6 p.m.
Apparently, Coach Brooke can recruit.

Only 2 players in the top 60 have committed. Brooke has gotten the top two players in this class on campus on an unofficial visit last year.

Only 2 players in the top 60 have committed. Brooke has gotten the top two players in this class on campus on an unofficial visit last year.
I didn't make myself clear. The 23 prospects have almost all been taken. They will come in and play 23/24.
That is the group that we have 0 commits in the top 100.
The 24 group (24/25 season) has 3 commits out of 60. one to Michigan (#7), one to Iowa (#42) and one to UM (#48).
We need a couple of top HS recruits. I think it would be hard (not impossible) to live in the portal and catching under rated gems.

I didn't make myself clear. The 23 prospects have almost all been taken. They will come in and play 23/24.
That is the group that we have 0 commits in the top 100.
The 24 group (24/25 season) has 3 commits out of 60. one to Michigan (#7), one to Iowa (#42) and one to UM (#48).
We need a couple of top HS recruits. I think it would be hard (not impossible) to live in the portal and catching under rated gems.
I’m sure the coaching change had some effect with the 2023 class too but I agree with you. For us to compete at a high level we need to recruit elite level players. Hopefully this years success combined with Latson well on her way to being a household name will interest recruits to come play in Tally.

SN: Brooke did sign the top JUCO player this year and she is the nations leading rebounder. Will be a solid addition to replace Myers/Howard next season.

ADVERTISEMENT