ADVERTISEMENT

Longboat Key Restaurant Recommendations

TBH Nole

Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
I'll be staying at the Resort at Longboat Key in a couple of weeks. Any restaurant recommendations for Longboat Key, Anna Maria Island, Siesta Key, Bradenton, and Sarasota areas? Never been to the area so any help would be appreciated. Go Noles!

Sorry for the hijack but what's the story with this?
I saw some where that there was some sort of environmental crisis causing hundreds of fish to wash up on some gulf (?) beaches.

Red Tide has hit the area hard this year. I don't completely understand it, but it is an invasion of algae that releases toxins into the water and kills marine life. When it's bad, dead fish wash up on shore and stink up the place.

Here's three on Longboat Key

Mar Vista (North end of longboat) casual local and on the water.
Dry Dock Grill and Chart House (South end, different sides) pricier fare but very good

of Course St Armands on Lido Key has Columbia and if you haven't eaten at one you should. Just make reservations, because there is a very long wait at that location.

Another decent cheaper local place on Lido is Salty Dog which is right across from Mote Aquarium. Nothing spectacular, but great location on the water and decent casual food.

There are a number of places around Bridge St on Anna Marie Island.

Unfortunately one of the best restaurants on Longboat is in a private club. Portifino in Longboat Key club is really, really good, but also very expensive and you can't go unless you are a member or staying there.

Reactions: TBH Nole
Here's three on Longboat Key

Mar Vista (North end of longboat) casual local and on the water.
Dry Dock Grill and Chart House (South end, different sides) pricier fare but very good

of Course St Armands on Lido Key has Columbia and if you haven't eaten at one you should. Just make reservations, because there is a very long wait at that location.

Another decent cheaper local place on Lido is Salty Dog which is right across from Mote Aquarium. Nothing spectacular, but great location on the water and decent casual food.

There are a number of places around Bridge St on Anna Marie Island.

Unfortunately one of the best restaurants on Longboat is in a private club. Portifino in Longboat Key club is really, really good, but also very expensive and you can't go unless you are a member or staying there.

Made a rez at Columbia and staying at the resort so will check out Portofino - thanks!

Reactions: KitingHigh
I've not been to Longboat Key (other than a quick drive across); been to Anna Maria (next island north) a number of times. There are a couple of good places in Bradenton Beach (first town you'd hit if you drove up from LBK to AMI). The crepe place on Bridge St is very good; Bridge Tender Inn has good food in a very casual atmosphere. Wicked Cantina is a little Mexican place, food is very tasty.
Hopefully the red tide won't be too bad; we were on AMI over Labor Day weekend; on the gulf side things were fine; on the inland side we saw an occasional dead fish. If it was breezy, no smell - but in some areas if the wind died down it smelled pretty rank. I did see an absolute abundance of dead horseshoe crabs along the shoreline (mostly on the inland side) - I'm sure it was a result of the red tide but not sure if that starts happening early in an outbreak or near the end.

Made a rez at Columbia and staying at the resort so will check out Portofino - thanks!

We ate at Columbia about a year and a half ago in St. Armands. I was very disappointed. The food was very dry and the menu was limited compared to the other Columbias. I'd rather eat at the ice cream shop in St. Armands before trying Columbia again.

We ate at Columbia about a year and a half ago in St. Armands. I was very disappointed. The food was very dry and the menu was limited compared to the other Columbias. I'd rather eat at the ice cream shop in St. Armands before trying Columbia again.
I haven't eaten at that one, but have at four other locations and never had a bad meal. According to the website Armand shares the same extensive menu as the original one in Ybor.

Sadly the one with the best view is gone. Darn corrupt politicians tore down a perfectly good pier in St Pete.

You eat your fish while they are still alive? I like sushi, but that's as fresh as I will go.

tumblr_p1rkkhPG9y1ubow15o1_400.gif

I haven't eaten at that one, but have at four other locations and never had a bad meal. According to the website Armand shares the same extensive menu as the original one in Ybor.

Sadly the one with the best view is gone. Darn corrupt politicians tore down a perfectly good pier in St Pete.

I’m still ticked about what they did to the pier. And it’s not just some modern place, the location is historic as the first million dollar pier.

From this

4889f817ca7b0320bf31da53fc2200e4.jpg

To this

8077836335_3ce0817316_b.jpg

To this

st-pete-pier.jpg

To this

St-Petersburg-web-cam.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KitingHigh
Mar Vista on Longboat and The Sandbar on AMI. Wait for an outside table at The Sandbar and get there an hour before sunset. There is usually a long wait but you can get drinks and walk the beach and see the sun go down. The food is hit or miss. I've had exceptional meals there and average meals. The food at Mar Vista is consistently good.

Haven't been to Euphemia Haye but Free raves about it so it's probably really good. And swanky. I was underwhelmed with the Dry Dock. I avoid St Armands but the Columbia is always good. Places to avoid are Moore's Stonecrab on Longboat and Eat Here on AMI.

Last edited:
I'll be staying at the Resort at Longboat Key in a couple of weeks. Any restaurant recommendations for Longboat Key, Anna Maria Island, Siesta Key, Bradenton, and Sarasota areas? Never been to the area so any help would be appreciated. Go Noles!
I think Maison Blanche on longboat key is legitimately a top 5 restaurant in Florida. Maybe top 1. Pricey. Worth it.

The SandBar on Anna Maria Island is solid. I always try to stop in the Salty Dog when I'm in the area. Not spectacular food but it's tough to beat the atmosphere, once the Red Tide is gone.

Any nearby game watching locations?
There will be some spots on Bridge Street in Bradenton Beach for that. I forgot but Mr Bones BBQ up the road is supposed to be good. Planning on going there next time...

We have some time to kill in on Sunday before departing TPA @ 7:15. Any suggestions? Good brunch location? Cuban sandwich spot?

I’m still ticked about what they did to the pier. And it’s not just some modern place, the location is historic as the first million dollar pier.

From this

4889f817ca7b0320bf31da53fc2200e4.jpg

To this

8077836335_3ce0817316_b.jpg

To this

st-pete-pier.jpg

To this

St-Petersburg-web-cam.jpg

That can't be the finished product can it? That looks like something you'd see in Bangladesh after a typhoon came through...

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
In an effort to draw people out to the islands to offset the lost business from red tide, a number of places are running specials throughout October. See bradentongulfislands.com/restaurantmonth

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT