ADVERTISEMENT

Looking for a new driver and three nut

cmanole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2002
My clubs got ripped off last week and I'll be replacing them. Technology has really passed me by and I'm clueless on what to get. What do you guys hit and why do you like them? I've been hitting a beat up Titleist that was 10 years old or older. A 983 maybe...

No advice on irons, wedges or putters needed. Will be sticking with blades (I had the original Nikes) and will probably get a set of Mizunos...

You're a broken down old fart who can't hit it out of your shadow, you may as well just go buy a persimmon head driver for $2 at the flea market.

Reactions: noleit
Originally posted by SeaPA:

You're a broken down old fart who can't hit it out of your shadow, you may as well just go buy a persimmon head driver for $2 at the flea market.
I'll play you for anything you want - Chump!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Crap, you already saw it. Was coming back to edit it to say that you can't hit it out of your shadow, even if you're downhill, with the wind.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by SeaPA:

Crap, you already saw it. Was coming back to edit it to say that you can't hit it out of your shadow, even if you're downhill, with the wind.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
At noon!
laugh.r191677.gif

Check out the Mizuno JPX 850's and the Mizuno JPX-EZ. As far as the newer drivers are concerned,, as long as you find the right shaft for you swing you can't really go wrong with any of the new heads. All of the newer drivers and balls promote a low spin rate off the tee. But seriously, do yourself a huge favor and go have your swing analyzed for the proper shaft.

This post was edited on 2/19 4:27 PM by Vril Nole

This post was edited on 2/19 4:36 PM by Vril Nole

I know you said you have the irons figured out but at least try the Titielist 714 ap2 set out. I preferred them just a bit over the mizuno's but still had a very similar look and feel just slightly more forgiving on yardage consistency (6 handicap so I need that little bit of forgiveness- even more so on the 200 yard par 3's which are the new standard these days).

Cobra Bio Cell (plus and pro) are really amazing drivers. They look different (colors are a bit extreme) and if you are a bit old school in your preference (if you are hitting blades I assume that) you will have to keep an open mind but I consistently bomb the ball with the driver and it beat out the others by a pretty solid margin- which is rare in todays world of drivers.

The Cobras look good. And thanks Vril, I really should get my swing analyzed. I've never done that or been fitted for irons...

Originally posted by cmanole:
The Cobras look good. And thanks Vril, I really should get my swing analyzed. I've never done that or been fitted for irons...
You would be surprised how effective this is. By simply changing the lie angle and the length or your clubs you can make serious gains. I'm 6' tall and my sticks are +3/4" and 2 deg up. Midsize grips and a project x 6.0
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Best looking blades I've seen in the last five years are the Callaway RAZR MBs. Really compact head, a bit more of a square toe versus the rounded toe that you see a lot with Titleist blades or Nike's newer models.

In terms of drivers, I've hit the PING G30 with the stock shaft and love it. I'm currently bagging last year's Callaway Big Bertha Alpha and that thing goes a mile, but the G30 is much more forgiving across the clubface in my experience. Also heard good things about the Cobra Bio Cell. The best if you tend to hit the ball too high and/or spin it too much with the driver is the TaylorMade SLDR. I hit a 10.5 SLDR lower than I hit my 9.0 gamer so it's insanely low launch low spin.

Good fairway woods are the Callaway X2 Hot Pros (hybrids are excellent too) and the Nike VR Pro Ltd. if you enjoy a more classic conservative look. The Nikes also run for pretty cheap these days as they're a couple generations old, but still keep up with the 3 woods they're making these days.

Good stuff Matt. I'm really thinking Taylor Made right now and have never been a Ping guy so we'll see...

Good stuff Matt. I'm really thinking Taylor Made right now and have never been a Ping guy so we'll see...

The new TaylorMade blades look pretty nice and a couple of guys I play with have them and like them. They make a great product from driver down to putter but they get a bad rap from a lot of consumers due to their tendency to use a short product cycle (i.e. 6-8 months between new releases as opposed to 1 year from PING or Nike and even 2 years from Titleist) so the resale value of the clubs is diminished quicker than most.

Oh man. I thought this thread was going to be about you needing a chauffeur, and the guys to hang out with. I was ready to apply.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Originally posted by RRtrackdawgson:

This is what I hit...Well...

2014_Callaway_Go_52f8ff584b8e1.jpg
Is that tough to hit with mayonaise on the grip?
happy.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Semiologist:
Oh man. I thought this thread was going to be about you needing a chauffeur, and the guys to hang out with. I was ready to apply.
That would have been three nuts!

Originally posted by Semiologist:
That would have been three nuts!
Lance Armstrong & another dude? Doesn't sound like my kind of party, but whatever floats your boat. Or drives your golf cart.

Picking up a set of these gems today. 1984s I think. Mint condition. New stiff shafts and grips...

apex_pc_large.jpg

Love them. Pure. Actually have xstiff shafts. They help slow my swing down believe it or not.

Got a Rocket Ballz driver and three wood and have since gotten an Aero Burner driver that I can absolutely murder.

Looking for a new set of wedges now...

My clubs got ripped off last week and I'll be replacing them. Technology has really passed me by and I'm clueless on what to get. What do you guys hit and why do you like them? I've been hitting a beat up Titleist that was 10 years old or older. A 983 maybe...

No advice on irons, wedges or putters needed. Will be sticking with blades (I had the original Nikes) and will probably get a set of Mizunos...
983 is at least 16 years old but a good club. New titleist is workable but spins a bunch and not as long.

Best overall driver is ping g400. If you hit it very consistently on the screws then TaylorMade m3 has the hottest face but less forgiving than ping.

Reactions: cmanole
983 is at least 16 years old but a good club. New titleist is workable but spins a bunch and not as long.

Best overall driver is ping g400. If you hit it very consistently on the screws then TaylorMade m3 has the hottest face but less forgiving than ping.
I actually own both of these drivers and think the exact opposite. The twist face on the M3 is very forgiving but I don’t feel it’s “hot” at all. I hit the ping at least 15 yds further.

Someone fill me in on the bobby Bowden Pings joke. I see it every so often on here but don't have a clue
Man, this is going back a long time, but my recollection is that a drive-by poster came on here advertising some "special edition" Bobby Bowden Ping Zings. The clubs, and the offer, were the subject of much derision.

I apologize if I left anything out, or misremembered.

It would be fun if someone would put together a scramble the day before the game for the people on Warchant message board. Southwood is a fun course...

I actually own both of these drivers and think the exact opposite. The twist face on the M3 is very forgiving but I don’t feel it’s “hot” at all. I hit the ping at least 15 yds further.
Need to adjust the sliding weights and/or re-shaft. TM is hands down the lowest spinning major brand driver head. You got the wrong shafts or weight alignments and spin is killing you.

This is why fitting is worth it.

ADVERTISEMENT