ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville/Churchhill downs recs

wbnolefan2

Seminole Insider
Jan 23, 2017
I'm taking a group of high school seniors on a trip and we'll be staying in Louisville. I figured there would be someone on here who did the horse museum/races while at our away games over the past few years.

As someone who's never been to a horse track, what should we expect? Do I need/want general admission or reserved tickets? Is the museum tour a must see or just enjoy the races?

We're planning on the Louisville Slugger factory as well while in town, I'd appreciate any other sights or restaurant recommendations

Lived there years ago, late 70’s-80. Not for special races, of which the Derby Week is just one, but weekdays tend to be easy as I recall. No lines to speak of, and I imagine now it’s likely easier. Went with a coworker a good bit, who liked to bet the horses. It’s an enjoyable day. Be advised though, this isn’t Keenland in Lexington, it’s Churchill Downs in Louisville. More the every mans track. Both are terrific, imo.

I've been there the last two times I was up there for FSU-Louisville football games. Went on Friday afternoon each time. No lines at all. Not a ton of people. Parking was simple. And I just walked right up and got a box ticket for like 10 or 12 bucks (I don't remember, might have actually been less).
Didn't do the museum. And granted this was a weekday, not a weekend, but I've been surprised each time with how easy and simple the whole thing was.

Then again, it's not the Kentucky Derby weekend, so I probably shouldn't be surprised at all.

Reactions: BigTorsk
We lived there in 1981, and went once - but it was to the Derby, and of course that's a unique situation. We enjoyed Louisville as a good family town with nice people and pretty neighborhoods but that was ages ago and I have no idea what it's like now.

Not crowded, great time, sit anywhere you want but club. Museum definitely if races are going on, they take you track side and let you follow jockey when he gets on horse, through gate and out to track and then when they come back in. Interactive Derby races, very cool. We always go Memorial Day matinee after the Indy 500

Not crowded, great time, sit anywhere you want but club. Museum definitely if races are going on, they take you track side and let you follow jockey when he gets on horse, through gate and out to track and then when they come back in. Interactive Derby races, very cool. We always go Memorial Day matinee after the Indy 500

Wife and I went up there for a wedding Nov. 2017. Fantastic wedding/ reception and the next day the bride's family provided tickets for 30 of us in the Millionaires Club on the top level. The track ran a race in memory of the mother's father who passed away a year earlier. He was from England and a wonderful person, special day for all of us.

I don't know a lot about Louisville, but we parked fairly close to the track and walked.

Wife and I went up there for a wedding Nov. 2017. Fantastic wedding/ reception and the next day the bride's family provided tickets for 30 of us in the Millionaires Club on the top level. The track ran a race in memory of the mother's father who passed away a year earlier. He was from England and a wonderful person, special day for all of us.

I don't know a lot about Louisville, but we parked fairly close to the track and walked.

Huge parking lot. The whole place is huge so unless its some big race they can handle it quite well. I love it there, its the pinnacle of horse racing

We were in Louisville for couple of days last year after attending the Indy 500. We to Churchill Downs for the horse races. Had s great time snd won a fee hundred bucks. Not crowded at all and bought tickets when we got there - but not the Kentucky Derby. Went to the Louisville Slugger store and got a baseball bat for our grandson with his name on it. Also went to a Louisville Bats minor league ballgame. Fun time! There was a pretty good bbq restaurant downtown but I cant remember the name. Was there a few years ago for the Nole game. Went to a Bourbon festival. Also fun! Louisville is a nice town snd you should have a good time! Enjoy!!

Reactions: wbnolefan2
ADVERTISEMENT