ADVERTISEMENT

Mariota has looked pretty good for someone....

Both Marriotta and Watson are winners that would be successful in any college system. Jamies would have been too.

No need to hate on either of them.

Both Marriotta and Watson are winners that would be successful in any college system. Jamies would have been too.

No need to hate on either of them.

Jameis would have had a hard time in Oregon’s system. He’s way too slow.

who played in a system not designed to 'prep you for the NFL.'
Im trying to figure out the love fest for Mariota. He doesn’t score many points. Doesn’t pass for many yards and has a top 5 running game in the entire NFL. Everything he does comes off of run action. If they can’t run the ball, he does nothing. I’ve watched this game since 2nd quarter and it’s either screen or RPO. 12-21 154 YARDS and 1 INT are his numbers tonight and I bet at least 60 of those are from screens . The other 100 probably check downs and RPOs. I really don’t get the Mariota love fest. Jameis does have a true #1, but he has no creativity on offense, no run game and Mariota plays in worst division in football. Bucs probably wins the division 2 years in a row in the AFC South.

For every one of those you reference, you can point to twice as many Pro style bust!
Same goes for spread qbs in the nfl. Just as many if not more fail. But let's look at Hall of fame type qbs. What type of system do you think, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers ran in college?

Im trying to figure out the love fest for Mariota. He doesn’t score many points. Doesn’t pass for many yards and has a top 5 running game in the entire NFL. Everything he does comes off of run action. If they can’t run the ball, he does nothing. I’ve watched this game since 2nd quarter and it’s either screen or RPO. 12-21 154 YARDS and 1 INT are his numbers tonight and I bet at least 60 of those are from screens . The other 100 probably check downs and RPOs. I really don’t get the Mariota love fest. Jameis does have a true #1, but he has no creativity on offense, no run game and Mariota plays in worst division in football. Bucs probably wins the division 2 years in a row in the AFC South.

They are 11th in points per game, and that of course is deluded a bit due to Matt Cassell starting last week and only putting up 10 points. And they didn't run any RPO last night, because he still has an injured hamstring and was limited in his running. Not sure how closely you watched the game if you think he was only running screens or RPO. He did throw for 306 yards though, and it was basically all from the pocket.

Last edited:
Same goes for spread qbs in the nfl. Just as many if not more fail. But let's look at Hall of fame type qbs. What type of system do you think, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers ran in college?

The spread wasn't nearly as popular when those guys were in college. Drew Brees ran a spread system and has obviously been great. If a guy can play a guy can play. The college system really has little baring on how good a pro a player will be. There could obviously be a bit more of a learning curve at the outset, but beyond that what college system a guy runs is pretty meaningless in the NFL.

Reactions: PANole1

I'd argue Rodgers and for sure Brady execute more of a "Spread " than the traditional under center Pro Offense. Whem was the last time you saw either under center???

I'd argue Rodgers and for sure Brady execute more of a "Spread " than the traditional under center Pro Offense. Whem was the last time you saw either under center???
Pro style doesn't just mean under center. When is the last time you saw either running a read option for a good percentage of plays or a Chip Kelly, Gus Malzahn type offense which is what people are wanting and referring to for offensive changes?

Pro style doesn't just mean under center. When is the last time you saw either running a read option for a good percentage of plays or a Chip Kelly, Gus Malzahn type offense which is what people are wanting and referring to for offensive changes?
Not sure about the Malzahn reference, they only have about 6-8 plays. They just run tempo and have a good o-line. One of the least balanced offenses in major college ball.

Chip Kelly also an tempo but he really spread the field and distributed with the QB to players in space.

Not sure about the Malzahn reference, they only have about 6-8 plays. They just run tempo and have a good o-line. One of the least balanced offenses in major college ball.

Chip Kelly also an tempo but he really spread the field and distributed with the QB to players in space.
So wait.
Mariota came from Oregon where Chip Kelly was coaching prior to going to the NFL and I am pretty sure Oregon ran the same Offensive system when Kelly left and the subject matter is related to the offense Mariota ran in college. Yet the offense he ran in college is not what is being referred to. Umm OK!

So wait.
Mariota came from Oregon where Chip Kelly was coaching prior to going to the NFL and I am pretty sure Oregon ran the same Offensive system when Kelly left and the subject matter is related to the offense Mariota ran in college. Yet the offense he ran in college is not what is being referred to. Umm OK!

But what does the offense at Oregon have to do with what he is doing 3 years into his NFL career? Just because someone runs a non traditional system in college, doesn't mean they are incapable of running a more traditional NFL offense. Mariota has the arm strength, accuracy, and football IQ to be a good NFL QB, and I think it has shown throughout his career thus far.

Last edited:
But what does the offense at Oregon have to do with what he is doing 3 years into his NFL career? Just because someone runs a non traditional system in college, doesn't mean they are incapable of running a more traditional NFL offense. Mariota has the arm strength, accuracy, and football IQ to be a good NFL QB, and I think it has shown throughout his career thus far.
And who said he didn't? I didn't make that claim.

I haven't heard anyone advocating for a bunch of read option. Blackman won't sustain that style of offense. I think FSU would be far better suited to the spread that NE started to run in the middle 2000's when they had Welker and a bunch of other receivers that were fast and spread all over the field. Oregon ran that style offense (along with read option) as well. This type of offense relies of fast receivers and blown coverage. Concentrate on getting the ball in the hands of talented receivers and let them get yards after the catch or scare the D so much on the underneath stuff you can get blown coverage and throw it deep.

I think that is the point of the thread. People have doubted him (and still do on this board for sure) due to his college system.
Interesting. I took this thread since it started in the Tribal Council to be a shot at Jimbo's offense and Jimbo's reason for running it. Saying Jimbo needs to change his philosophy and that the 1 example that proves his whole philosophy wrong is Mariota doing well in the NFL.

Interesting. I took this thread since it started in the Tribal Council to be a shot at Jimbo's offense and Jimbo's reason for running it. Saying Jimbo needs to change his philosophy and that the 1 example that proves his whole philosophy wrong is Mariota doing well in the NFL.

Maybe you are right, I didn't realize it started in tribal council.

So wait.
Chip Kelly and Gus Malzahn offense have very little in common except tempo. You lumped the 2 together but they have no business being described that way.

Like you, I also assumed this was about FSU's current style or desire for a new coach/style. Hence my comment about the 2 being very different. Sorry if that caused confusion.

I've said for 4-5 years I'd like to see Jimbo run 2-3 drives a game with tempo. It actually simplifies things for a frosh QB.

Absolutely nobody is calling for a Malzahn offense or anything of the sort. Probably 75% of CFB are running variations of a zone read/spread. Some are run heavy, RPO, spreads, etc.

Green said it best last nite, that offense is here to stay and NFL teams are adopting principles of it.

And actually Brady does rum zone read CONCEPT , so you're wrong there as well.

Jimbo sucks as a OC, period. Whether it's his philosophy, style, play calling, blocking scheme, etc. Minus 2013, his offense given the talent level we have and face often has been butt average.

Chip Kelly and Gus Malzahn offense have very little in common except tempo. You lumped the 2 together but they have no business being described that way.

Like you, I also assumed this was about FSU's current style or desire for a new coach/style. Hence my comment about the 2 being very different. Sorry if that caused confusion.

I've said for 4-5 years I'd like to see Jimbo run 2-3 drives a game with tempo. It actually simplifies things for a frosh QB.
You mean like the opening drive vs Duke? It wasn't break neck up tempo but it was better pace than what he did the rest of the game. Simplified the reads for the QB too on the rollouts. Definitely had a better rhythm. Not sure why this isn't done more consistently. Other than the first series being scripted. Would be cool if he scripted scenarios for the game and ran it at that pace.

You mean like the opening drive vs Duke? It wasn't break neck up tempo but it was better pace than what he did the rest of the game. Simplified the reads for the QB too on the rollouts. Definitely had a better rhythm. Not sure why this isn't done more consistently. Other than the first series being scripted. Would be cool if he scripted scenarios for the game and ran it at that pace.
We've come a long way since pioneering up tempo with the Fast Break back in the day. :(

They are 11th in points per game, and that of course is deluded a bit due to Matt Cassell starting last week and only putting up 10 points. And they didn't run any RPO last night, because he still has an injured hamstring and was limited in his running. Not sure how closely you watched the game if you think he was only running screens or RPO. He did throw for 306 yards though, and it was basically all from the pocket.
If you don’t think he ran any RPO then you don’t know what the NFL version of an RPO is

If you don’t think he ran any RPO then you don’t know what the NFL version of an RPO is

No, it is because I watched the game (and I have no clue what you mean with the "NFL" version. RPO is RPO no matter what level). Running was not an option for him on Monday. You are confusing play action with RPO. Or you are confusing the couple of shuttle passes to Taylor as RPO, but those weren't options, they were designed shuttle passes to the WR in motion.

You also said he was throwing screens all night. He had 7 screen passes out of 32 passes. To put that in perspective. Big Ben had 5 out of 25 passes, Eli had 3 out of 19 passes, Rivers had 14 out of 36 passes, Brady 5 out of 38, Brees 9 out of 31, etc etc. The % of screens he throws are right on par with other QBs in the league.

Last edited:
I mean real tempo, as in not allowing defensive subs or complete re-sets.

What you're referring to is a competent organized team execution of plays. Something I agree we should see more of.

ADVERTISEMENT