ADVERTISEMENT

Mask Mandate on Planes/Trains Extended Until at Least April 18

instead, domestic violence, alcoholism, drug addiction is all at an all time high. Among other things.

we just bungled this from the get go
Murder was up significantly last summer. Firearms violence up. Now school officials are admitting how little learning went on from virtual school. 40 MM people significantly effected financially and put into precarious situations. Suicides up. Record depression and anxiety among the youth. Opiate deaths way up. Etc.

Murder was up significantly last summer. Firearms violence up. Now school officials are admitting how little learning went on from virtual school. 40 MM people significantly effected financially and put into precarious situations. Suicides up. Record depression and anxiety among the youth. Opiate deaths way up. Etc.
Overall suicide rates decreased during Covid. The rest is true though.

Without saying something that will get me sent to Chile again, the crime waves were seeing is partially the result of other issues as well not just covid. Although I think it did play a part.

Reactions: F4Gary
Without saying something that will get me sent to Chile again, the crime waves were seeing is partially the result of other issues as well not just covid. Although I think it did play a part.
Interested to know what the major increase was caused by but likely falls under the general banner of "Covid"
Kid's being at home bored constantly caused a giant jump in accidental shootings
Domestic violence increased with people stuck at home

Not sure you can quantify what % of the increase was caused by protests. Found one article that said only 25 people were killed during 2020 in the BLM protests so doesn't seem to that influential on overall increase in gun related deaths. Seems like simply being stuck home is largely the cause with potential economic factors.

There was a 65% increase in gun purchases during Covid. 85% of gun deaths were in predominantly in Hispanic and Black neighborhoods, which were disproportionately impacted by job loss, which suggests economic issues may have played a major role in that increase. Who knows how much of it was robberies vs can't go to work so you're just out and about with nothing to do. Can't find any numbers on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: chumleynole
Interested to know what the major increase was caused by but likely falls under the general banner of "Covid"
Kid's being at home bored constantly caused a giant jump in accidental shootings

Not sure you can quantify what % of the increase was caused by protests. Found one article that said only 25 people were killed during 2020 in the BLM protests so doesn't seem to that influential on overall increase in gun related deaths. Seems like simply being stuck home is largely the cause with potential economic factors.

There was a 65% increase in gun purchases during Covid. 85% of gun deaths were in predominantly in Hispanic and Black neighborhoods, which were disproportionately impacted by job loss, which suggests economic issues may have played a major role in that increase. Who knows how much of it was robberies vs can't go to work so you're just out and about with nothing to do. Can't find any numbers on that.
If a city or state is viewed as soft on crime either by policy or inaction by prosecutors and police it will embolden some people to do as they please. With much of the workforce either not being hired or not wanting to work you see much more bored people out and about and with that increases in car jacking, shootings, shoplifting ect... I don't think people just became more violent there is just more opportunity. But that opportunity didn't increase everywhere.

Reactions: Deerfuel2
If a city or state is viewed as soft on crime either by policy or inaction by prosecutors and police it will embolden some people to do as they please. With much of the workforce either not being hired or not wanting to work you see much more bored people out and about and with that increases in car jacking, shootings, shoplifting ect... I don't think people just became more violent there is just more opportunity. But that opportunity didn't increase everywhere.
Is there any data saying that being soft on crime makes it more likely that people will commit crimes?

There is data saying being tough on drug crimes had no impact on drug related offenses.

Is there any data saying that being soft on crime makes it more likely that people will commit crimes? There is data showing that being tough on crime has no impact on crime level.
Likely is subjective so that would be hard to gage. How much violent crime is there in Singapore or Saudi Arabia? So your saying if Seattle, Chicago, LA or New York started locking up every felon on the street it would have no impact? What happened in NYC from the late 70's to the 80's? They didn't clean that up by not policing.

Likely is subjective so that would be hard to gage. How much violent crime is there in Singapore or Saudi Arabia? So your saying if Seattle, Chicago, LA or New York started locking up every felon on the street it would have no impact? What happened in NYC from the late 70's to the 80's? They didn't clean that up by not policing.
Data says that increasing sentences for offenders makes them more likely that they be arrested again especially for non-violent crimes.

I can't find any data suggesting that increasing sentences for gun violence decreases the likelihood it will happen. However, increasing sentences for low level non-violent crimes has just caused us to have the highest incarceration rate in the entire world. That is good news for the private prison industry.

Data says that increasing sentences for offenders makes them more likely that they be arrested again especially for non-violent crimes.
Longer sentence = longer time in jail = less time on the street to commit said crime. Cut off a shoplifters hand and they can steal one more time . Pretty effective but that's an extreme example. . I'm really talking about violent crime but one leads to the other in many cases. Limiting the inputs isn't working so increase the deterrent. Prison doesn't seem to do the trick so step it up a notch.

I bought 3 new guns during covid so I contributed to that increase.

Not a big gun guy so I purchased none but I did shoot skeet a lot.
Never did it. However, when I was a kid I used to go on the skeet range and retrieve the unbroken pigeons and bring them back to the club which would buy them from me. A lot of well to do folks hung out there.

Reactions: PopsNole
Overall suicide rates decreased during Covid. The rest is true though.
Ahhh......didn't realize this.
But, not among all groups:

"Although the suicide rate dropped overall, there were increases among young adults, as well as American Indians, Alaska Natives, Black Americans, and Hispanic Americans, the National Center for Health Statistics reported.

“I think it’s pretty much general knowledge now that COVID affected different demographic groups differently, and some were hit harder than others,” Sally Curtin, lead author of the report and a member of the center’s Division of Vital Statistics........"

I think the long term trend right now is for lowering suicide rates, which is great. So unless 2021 trends upward against the trend, that is great news.

Most suicides by country is interesting

South Korea is up there.
Russia and the former Soviet republics are high.
South Africa is high.
And of course US is high, especially among white males.

Ahhh......didn't realize this.
But, not among all groups:

"Although the suicide rate dropped overall, there were increases among young adults, as well as American Indians, Alaska Natives, Black Americans, and Hispanic Americans, the National Center for Health Statistics reported.

“I think it’s pretty much general knowledge now that COVID affected different demographic groups differently, and some were hit harder than others,” Sally Curtin, lead author of the report and a member of the center’s Division of Vital Statistics........"

I think the long term trend right now is for lowering suicide rates, which is great. So unless 2021 trends upward against the trend, that is great news.

Most suicides by country is interesting

South Korea is up there.
Russia and the former Soviet republics are high.
South Africa is high.
And of course US is high, especially among white males.
US is 24th at 16.1 per 100k population. Lesotho was 1st at 72.4. Interesting that Finland and Sweden at 15.3 and 14.7 are that comparable to the US when they are always among the happiest countries.

Legal system, like education, was generally disastrous during Covid. And, medically, God only knows how much “standard maintenance” was skipped or delayed that will later come home to roost. Still can’t buy new cars and other manufactured goods. Countless businesses failed, and that’s before we get into the mental health and substance abuse issues. Huge ripple effects across society.

The ultimate cost of this thing will be incalculable.

US is 24th at 16.1 per 100k population. Lesotho was 1st at 72.4. Interesting that Finland and Sweden at 15.3 and 14.7 are that comparable to the US when they are always among the happiest countries.
Sweden use to have a huge suicide problem, but has made some good progress with it of late. Isolation and long dark winters.

Legal system, like education, was generally disastrous during Covid. And, medically, God only knows how much “standard maintenance” was skipped or delayed that will later come home to roost. Still can’t buy new cars and other manufactured goods. Countless businesses failed, and that’s before we get into the mental health and substance abuse issues. Huge ripple effects across society.

The ultimate cost of this thing will be incalculable.
But.. The Science! Have to follow the science.
None of these things are a surprise to any rational thinking person. Many rational people were trying to warn of these dangers when the lunacy started. We all know how rational opinions and theories were treated.
Most of the misfits that finally had authority to subject everyone to their power trips, are slowly slinking back to their rightful places of irrelevance. If it were up to me, they would be snatched out by their ear, and made a proper spectacle of

But.. The Science! Have to follow the science.
None of these things are a surprise to any rational thinking person. Many rational people were trying to warn of these dangers when the lunacy started. We all know how rational opinions and theories were treated.
Most of the misfits that finally had authority to subject everyone to their power trips, are slowly slinking back to their rightful places of irrelevance. If it were up to me, they would be snatched out by their ear, and made a proper spectacle of
The problem is now they want to start a disinformation board to decide what's true and what's false. Sounds a lot like information suppression to me. Odd that just when the facts start to come out a new council is made up to tell you what you can believe. Strange times we live in for sure.

I have that and the "war memento" Walther P38 that my Dad brought back from Italy in 1945.
My grandfather brought back a Luger P08 from the Waffen SS I dont shoot it anymore though. I tried to bring a AK back from Desert Storm but got caught and got a nice signed letter from the commander for it.

My grandfather brought back a Luger P08 from the Waffen SS I dont shoot it anymore though. I tried to bring a AK back from Desert Storm but got caught and got a nice signed letter from the commander for it.
I had a Russian made AK that I toted around for a couple of months in DS. It was a very well built rifle. The quality was completely different from the Czech or Chinese AKs I saw floating around. I should have put it in a box to come home as soon as I got it. I know several guys that did get some home. A Russian pistol was much easier to disassemble and send home in pieces

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT