ADVERTISEMENT

'mater sandwich on squishy bread

Nope. Just home grown tomatos and mayo. If you are going to add bacon, then you may as well add meat and onions and then you don't have a 'mater sammich anymore.

Had two last night. Lightly toasted white bread, tomato, Hellman's mayo, garlic salt, provolone cheese.

Had two last night. Lightly toasted white bread, tomato, Hellman's mayo, garlic salt, provolone cheese.

Kewpie, Duke's or homemade that's the way to go. To some extent it depends on your tomatoes and mood. Kewpie is sweeter, creamier and has a less chemically/fake taste from using naturally distilled rice vinegar as opposed to industrially processed "distilled vinegar" made from adding acetic and citric acid to the chemically separated field corn products. Dukes is tangier and thicker than Helmand as it has a higher ratio of eggs, far less sugar and cider vinegar.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
Said sammiches are enjoyed best on a back porch stoop with a glass of ice cold sweet tea and several paper towels at the ready.
Mayo, salt and pepper, and day old white bread.
Reminds me of visiting my Mother's aunts and uncles in Pitt County, North Carolina during tobacco harvest time.

Said sammiches are enjoyed best on a back porch stoop with a glass of ice cold sweet tea and several paper towels at the ready.
Mayo, salt and pepper, and day old white bread.
Reminds me of visiting my Mother's aunts and uncles in Pitt County, North Carolina during tobacco harvest time.
Also known as "light bread". Paper towels are optional if you stand under a shade tree and let the drippings hit the ground. Yum.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Billanole, You reminded me of one of Brother Dave Gardner's sayins. He talked about the "stewed tomato and okra on light bread sandwiches that you had to lift and eat fast lest it fall through the crust."
That's a great line, 62.
My grandmother had a variation on this technique...she would stand at the kitchen sink with her sandwich while watching us ruffians in the yard through the kitchen window. It also is valid for big ole juicy peaches, melons, etc...

Kewpie, Duke's or homemade that's the way to go. To some extent it depends on your tomatoes and mood. Kewpie is sweeter, creamier and has a less chemically/fake taste from using naturally distilled rice vinegar as opposed to industrially processed "distilled vinegar" made from adding acetic and citric acid to the chemically separated field corn products. Dukes is tangier and thicker than Helmand as it has a higher ratio of eggs, far less sugar and cider vinegar.

I laughed halfway through this post; leave it to Tribe to spout mayonetic wisdom.

Another Brother Dave line: The first piece of white bread I ever saw fell off the back of a CCC truck.

Are "mater" and "sammich" a way of channeling Larry The Cable Guy?

Reactions: LesClaypool
ADVERTISEMENT