ADVERTISEMENT

Mayweather vs Mcgregor

I predict lots of booing from the spectators in attendance as Mayweather ducks and dodges for the length of the fight, and McGregor repeatedly swings and misses.

I might go to a bar or somewhere to watch it, but there's no way I would pay to get the ppv. Seems like it's set up to be a terrible "fight".

Reactions: BelemNole
Stupid. First time I'll be cheering for Mayweather.

images

There is NEVER a right time to cheer for Mayweather.

images

hqdefault.jpg

Cherry_Picker_Floyd_Mayweather_by_zachalcasid.jpg

proxy

I'll go to BW3 and watch, should be entertaining, in a sad way.

Not routing for anyone, but I'd like to see Mayweather lose a match for sure!

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I predict lots of booing from the spectators in attendance as Mayweather ducks and dodges for the length of the fight, and McGregor repeatedly swings and misses.

I might go to a bar or somewhere to watch it, but there's no way I would pay to get the ppv. Seems like it's set up to be a terrible "fight".
It's a farce. Think WWE. Mayweather will dodge and box, McGregegor will get angry and go Thunder Lips on him for the DQ.

It's a farce. Think WWE. Mayweather will dodge and box, McGregegor will get angry and go Thunder Lips on him for the DQ.
If you could guarantee that happening, I'd buy the ppv.

Reactions: jim65
I'd love to see that too. I've heard that there is a clause in the contract preventing kicks. I'm sure a DQ would result in a major purse deduction for CM and he's not giving back any money.

Usually I am not fan of the trash talker but for some reason CM has grown on me and I like the dude. As far as the fight no reason to watch; while I would like to see CM win, just don't see it.

Reactions: funksouljon
I really don't understand why anyone would pay for this "fight". Mayweather is already widely recognized as the best technical boxer of his generation and everything is set up to favor him. His bouts against other world class boxers are boring as hell. This should be totally unwatchable.
Now, if there was some merging of rules and styles, that would change things. But we all know Mayweather would've never agreed to anything that didn't completely favor him.

I really don't understand why anyone would pay for this "fight". Mayweather is already widely recognized as the best technical boxer of his generation and everything is set up to favor him. His bouts against other world class boxers are boring as hell. This should be totally unwatchable.
Now, if there was some merging of rules and styles, that would change things. But we all know Mayweather would've never agreed to anything that didn't completely favor him.
Why not? It will be a spectacle. What is PPV, $70 or something? So hang out at a buddies house, throw down $15-20 and watch some absurd circus that will be this fight. I've spent $20 on way way less. And if by some minor miracle CM catches Mayweather (who is 40y/o btw) I don't want to miss it.

The biggest problem I see is not that CM is not near the boxer FM is, but the glove size. If all they did was change the gloves to MMA gloves I give CM a chance. CM hits hard but that power will be negated by glove size; oh and since it will be refereed by a boxing ref. it is highly unlikely that CM will have any chance to do holding and clutching, while hitting him on the ropes or anywhere else.

The biggest problem I see is not that CM is not near the boxer FM is, but the glove size. If all they did was change the gloves to MMA gloves I give CM a chance. CM hits hard but that power will be negated by glove size; oh and since it will be refereed by a boxing ref. it is highly unlikely that CM will have any chance to do holding and clutching, while hitting him on the ropes or anywhere else.
Agree. But again, there's no way FM wouldve taken the fight even with that one rule change. CM is willing to do this because it will give him a payday unlike one he would ever get fighting in the octagon.

I think the only positive here is that somebody will probably get knocked out. CM is definitely going for the knockout, he's either going to get it or get knocked out trying.

I'd love to see that too. I've heard that there is a clause in the contract preventing kicks. I'm sure a DQ would result in a major purse deduction for CM and he's not giving back any money.
I heard the same thing. I predict epic bitching after this fight.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Yes, as a boxing match I'm just not interested. CM isn't a boxer. What I would like to see is a matchup where they each fight twice, once as a boxing match and once as an MMA match, but that would never happen. They'd both be terrible fights too.

Why not? It will be a spectacle. What is PPV, $70 or something? So hang out at a buddies house, throw down $15-20 and watch some absurd circus that will be this fight. I've spent $20 on way way less. And if by some minor miracle CM catches Mayweather (who is 40y/o btw) I don't want to miss it.

Well...I still want my money back for the last time I watched Floyd prance around Pacquiao doing nothing but practicing his dance moves. So....I'm not sure I can watch this.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for "freakshows" as I've paid for and enjoyed many a Kimbo Slice, Butterbean, Melvin Manhoef, Cung Le, Early Wanderlei Silva bareknuckle fights, Brock Lesnar, late Ken and Frank Shamrock, Tank Abbott, etc "fight". But this one sounds terrible and it's all because I never want to waste another cent on Floyd.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
Yes, as a boxing match I'm just not interested. CM isn't a boxer. What I would like to see is a matchup where they each fight twice, once as a boxing match and once as an MMA match, but that would never happen. They'd both be terrible fights too.

Floyd wouldn't last twenty seconds in an MMA fight against any halfway decent pro. A quick takedown and a submission would be almost immediate. You can't really keep dancing away from solid takedowns.

Floyd wouldn't last twenty seconds in an MMA fight against any halfway decent pro. A quick takedown and a submission would be almost immediate. You can't really keep dancing away from solid takedowns.
No, you're right. But I would at least like to see some modified rules to make this fight more fair in the least. Maybe at the very least, use mma gloves.

The better fight and freakshow, and one I would probably be ok paying for, would be Rhonda Rousey vs Pretty Boy in the Octagon. That way we could see Mayweather in an MMA fight against someone he could actually have a fighting chance against. Equal rights and lefts.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
No, you're right. But I would at least like to see some modified rules to make this fight more fair in the least. Maybe at the very least, use mma gloves.

I would think kickboxing rules with MMA gloves but no takedowns or submissions would best balance it out. CM wouldn't be able to quickly end the fight and Floyd couldn't hide and dance behind his giant shields. Heck, maybe make it bareknuckle.

I think the only positive here is that somebody will probably get knocked out. CM is definitely going for the knockout, he's either going to get it or get knocked out trying.

This is the biggest lie, and what they'll use to sell this fight. This has been the story of every Mayweather opponent.

By far, the most likely outcome is what happens in nearly all of Floyd's fights. Connor is going to figure out within a round or two that Floyd's counterpunches hurt. And a silent contract will will be reached...if you don't come flying willy nilly at Floyd, he will not knock you out in embarrassing fashion. And McGregor will NOT have any interest in being knocked out in embarrassing fashion.

So I expect a moderately aggressive McGregor for a round or two, maybe he'll even land a glancing blow or two and make a case to win a round. Then he'll taste a couple flush counters, and his aggression will go away, and he'll back off to following Mayweather around throwing a punch or two at a time, hoping to land a perfect punch that will never come.

This is how it virtually always goes. Only a Ricky Hatton or Diego Corrales are hard headed enough to reject the silent contract and get wasted. McGregor has nothing to gain by being iced. He's also going to be surprised by Mayweather's power I think, given the glove size. I do not expect McGregor to have any meaningful power advantage, because of the glove difference.

So if if he's methodically shut out over 12 rounds, he walks out and says "I just went 12 rounds with the best boxer in the world, he never hurt me, he just ran. I'm a fighter, if he doesn't want to fight, what can I do?"

The second most likely outcome in my mind is that McGregor is totally gassed after 7-8 rounds and fades out...quits on his stool, but more likely is "knocked out" by a body shot. If you want my genius, out of nowhere prediction, here it is...McGregor, sometime after six rounds, will get hit with a body shot that he "just can't get up from." Also possible he "injures himself" in a clinch. There are ways fighters have of getting out of a fight...look out for those...body shot knockout or injury. I am of the opinion that the conditioning between boxing and MMA is radically different, and without the boxing background, I think it's extremely unlikely that McGregor is going to have his conditioning dialed in. Most likely he will underestimate how prepared he is to go 12 rounds, or the proper way to get into that condition. But it's also possible that he will overtrain, which will also ruin his condition. World class boxers are finely in tune with their bodies and their conditioning required, and I don't see any way McGregor (or any athlete) can just walk into a 12 round fight with that dialed in, without years of experience.

In the near-zero chance that McGregor really does come in all guns a blazing, and stays that way, Floyd will ice him within four rounds. I really doubt he's going to try that, even though that will be the talk. I'll be waiting to hear McGregor say he's willing to "die in the ring" if he has to. Fighters like to pull variations that one out from time to time, usually before a fight they quit in, either actually quit, or are so resigned and effortless that they might as well be.

There's no outcome that's going to affect boxing fans...I've yet to hear from one that doesn't think this is a joke, or is interested in seeing this. I have a hard time imagining that hardcore UFC fans feel much differently. This is for the rubes, and unfortunately it will leave a bad taste in their mouths about boxing, and distance them further from giving the sport a chance. Not unlike May-Pac. I guess in that sense, while I have no love for Mayweather and don't think this is any sort of referendum on boxing vs. UFC, I hope he does end it in spectacular fashion that at least interests a few people in real boxing.

I hate Floyd, but even if they had MMA gloves or bare knuckles, I would think he would still destroy CM. CM will never have seen anything like Floyd's speed of hands and way he can dance around the ring and avoid taking hits. With MMA gloves or bare knuckles, CM would be a bloody mess by the end of the fight. Those little jabs he lands would be doing much more damage and cutting. The same may be said for CM to Floyd but I would imagine if fighting with those gloves that Floyd would take very little chances and may barely even let CM touch him leading CM to get frustrated try to charge and get lit up even further by Floyd taking a shot and running.

I hate Floyd, but even if they had MMA gloves or bare knuckles, I would think he would still destroy CM. CM will never have seen anything like Floyd's speed of hands and way he can dance around the ring and avoid taking hits. With MMA gloves or bare knuckles, CM would be a bloody mess by the end of the fight. Those little jabs he lands would be doing much more damage and cutting. The same may be said for CM to Floyd but I would imagine if fighting with those gloves that Floyd would take very little chances and may barely even let CM touch him leading CM to get frustrated try to charge and get lit up even further by Floyd taking a shot and running.

Dude your high or have never seen an MMA fight in your life. If FM was in a true MMA fight he would throw a punch and a mid-tier MMA fighter would shoot on him and put him on the ground; then begin to destroy him. If you have never had to fight on your back it is not fun, very uncomfortable and requires a ton of skill. Now this fight is all about making FM look good; but I have to think that CM has at least decided on a strategy. I don't know what that will be but even a general MMA workout is more physical than a boxing match. You get bruises and pain in places just due to the body contact. FM likely wins but CM has a shot and so far he hasn't looked like a fool in any of his fights.

This is the biggest lie, and what they'll use to sell this fight. This has been the story of every Mayweather opponent.

By far, the most likely outcome is what happens in nearly all of Floyd's fights. Connor is going to figure out within a round or two that Floyd's counterpunches hurt. And a silent contract will will be reached...if you don't come flying willy nilly at Floyd, he will not knock you out in embarrassing fashion. And McGregor will NOT have any interest in being knocked out in embarrassing fashion.

So I expect a moderately aggressive McGregor for a round or two, maybe he'll even land a glancing blow or two and make a case to win a round. Then he'll taste a couple flush counters, and his aggression will go away, and he'll back off to following Mayweather around throwing a punch or two at a time, hoping to land a perfect punch that will never come.

This is how it virtually always goes. Only a Ricky Hatton or Diego Corrales are hard headed enough to reject the silent contract and get wasted. McGregor has nothing to gain by being iced. He's also going to be surprised by Mayweather's power I think, given the glove size. I do not expect McGregor to have any meaningful power advantage, because of the glove difference.

So if if he's methodically shut out over 12 rounds, he walks out and says "I just went 12 rounds with the best boxer in the world, he never hurt me, he just ran. I'm a fighter, if he doesn't want to fight, what can I do?"

The second most likely outcome in my mind is that McGregor is totally gassed after 7-8 rounds and fades out...quits on his stool, but more likely is "knocked out" by a body shot. If you want my genius, out of nowhere prediction, here it is...McGregor, sometime after six rounds, will get hit with a body shot that he "just can't get up from." Also possible he "injures himself" in a clinch. There are ways fighters have of getting out of a fight...look out for those...body shot knockout or injury. I am of the opinion that the conditioning between boxing and MMA is radically different, and without the boxing background, I think it's extremely unlikely that McGregor is going to have his conditioning dialed in. Most likely he will underestimate how prepared he is to go 12 rounds, or the proper way to get into that condition. But it's also possible that he will overtrain, which will also ruin his condition. World class boxers are finely in tune with their bodies and their conditioning required, and I don't see any way McGregor (or any athlete) can just walk into a 12 round fight with that dialed in, without years of experience.

In the near-zero chance that McGregor really does come in all guns a blazing, and stays that way, Floyd will ice him within four rounds. I really doubt he's going to try that, even though that will be the talk. I'll be waiting to hear McGregor say he's willing to "die in the ring" if he has to. Fighters like to pull variations that one out from time to time, usually before a fight they quit in, either actually quit, or are so resigned and effortless that they might as well be.

There's no outcome that's going to affect boxing fans...I've yet to hear from one that doesn't think this is a joke, or is interested in seeing this. I have a hard time imagining that hardcore UFC fans feel much differently. This is for the rubes, and unfortunately it will leave a bad taste in their mouths about boxing, and distance them further from giving the sport a chance. Not unlike May-Pac. I guess in that sense, while I have no love for Mayweather and don't think this is any sort of referendum on boxing vs. UFC, I hope he does end it in spectacular fashion that at least interests a few people in real boxing.
I don't think much else needs to be said. Good post.

Dude your high or have never seen an MMA fight in your life. If FM was in a true MMA fight he would throw a punch and a mid-tier MMA fighter would shoot on him and put him on the ground; then begin to destroy him. If you have never had to fight on your back it is not fun, very uncomfortable and requires a ton of skill. Now this fight is all about making FM look good; but I have to think that CM has at least decided on a strategy. I don't know what that will be but even a general MMA workout is more physical than a boxing match. You get bruises and pain in places just due to the body contact. FM likely wins but CM has a shot and so far he hasn't looked like a fool in any of his fights.
He didn't say MMA fight, he said with MMA gloves.

Except for the 26 who did, right?

The last one being 6 years ago. A TKO could happen if FM is just continously peppering CM face, with essentially multiple small concussions over 12 rds that CM is not used to. Anyways the 7/4 UD on FM sounds good to me.....

The better fight and freakshow, and one I would probably be ok paying for, would be Rhonda Rousey vs Pretty Boy in the Octagon. That way we could see Mayweather in an MMA fight against someone he could actually have a fighting chance against. Equal rights and lefts.

She would likely beat him IMO and I am not a RR fan. Just her Judo and Submissions skills would be a big problem for FM. FM may be a great boxer but if he misses once she puts him on the ground and it is over for FM. It is not like FM is some proven ba$$$$ that beats people up or has multiple skill sets; yes a great boxer but the second you get put on the ground it is a very different world and if you don't know what you are doing you are screwed. I have sparred with guys that out weighed me by 40 pounds and even had one leg kick me so hard my left leg was useless for a week; but I got him on the ground and once I did I controlled the fight, and I am not even close to a MMA/BJJ expert like in the UFC. What most people don't realize is when someone is controlling your arm/leg/hips etc. you don't think about being aggressive; you think about stopping them from controlling that body part. As they do that you are looking for the 1 mistake that they all make so you can put them to sleep. How do you think Royce Gracie put Ken Shamrock out so many times and what seemed effortless.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT