ADVERTISEMENT

Mayweather vs Mcgregor

Well, at least MMA fighters are backing their guy...

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/...eigh-in-on-floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor

“McGregor will win in another way: He’ll make a lot of millions,” Werdum said. “He’s a smart guy. He got this fight, he’ll promote this fight. But in this fight, I think Mayweather will win, it won’t be close. Mayweather will play with him.”

“if we talk about [Mayweather], the man who all his life has wanted to beat [Rocky] Marciano’s record, he managed to do it, to tie it,” Romero said. “You think that now he’s going to lose a fight to someone who is not a boxer? He’s going to tear his head off.”

Uggh. I wish they'd just cancel this fight.

Hahaha, I agree from a competition perspective, but too many people want to see the spectacle perspective tho "Come see the bearded lady", "Come see the geek eat a bat" "Come see the Mayweather - McGregor fight".

Hahaha, I agree from a competition perspective, but too many people want to see the spectacle perspective tho "Come see the bearded lady", "Come see the geek eat a bat" "Come see the Mayweather - McGregor fight".

Just curious...is anyone seeing seeing stuff in the media, from friends or on social media about being excited for this fight? Even from some freak show perspective?

It must be out there, I just haven't picked it up, but I mostly follow boxing folks on Twitter. Are people hearing chatter that folks are into this to the tune of $70 or whatever?

I keep waiting for the shills to come out in the media for this fight, and I still haven't seen anyone claiming it's anything but a joke.

Just curious...is anyone seeing seeing stuff in the media, from friends or on social media about being excited for this fight? Even from some freak show perspective?

It must be out there, I just haven't picked it up, but I mostly follow boxing folks on Twitter. Are people hearing chatter that folks are into this to the tune of $70 or whatever?

I keep waiting for the shills to come out in the media for this fight, and I still haven't seen anyone claiming it's anything but a joke.

No so much, but the promoters sure acting like everyone is into it....asking price for title sponsor is $10 MM

No so much, but the promoters sure acting like everyone is into it....asking price for title sponsor is $10 MM

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing...I keep hearing that the public is going to eat it up...but I'm not seeing it so far.

Not really. Some rare and super biased people are holding out hope because McGregor is either in his prime or just a tiny bit south of it while Mayweather is at the end of a career that there might be some chance. But because it's exclusively using boxing rules there's literally no chance in my mind for Connor to win. If both of their lives were literally on the line (loser is put down) then I might say it would be 50-50 even in a boxing rules only scenario as it seems plausible he could wade through and absorb some punishing shots and sacrifice enough of his body to land shots on Mayweather that he's never felt before. Basically bumrush him and hope his younger body holds out. But since lives aren't on the line only money, No one in their right mind would do that. Instead it's going to be a very boring fight with Mayweather showing off his dancing moves and some pitter patter offense and then it will be mercifully over 120-108.

Not really. Some rare and super biased people are holding out hope because McGregor is either in his prime or just a tiny bit south of it while Mayweather is at the end of a career that there might be some chance. But because it's exclusively using boxing rules there's literally no chance in my mind for Connor to win. If both of their lives were literally on the line (loser is put down) then I might say it would be 50-50 even in a boxing rules only scenario as it seems plausible he could wade through and absorb some punishing shots and sacrifice enough of his body to land shots on Mayweather that he's never felt before. Basically bumrush him and hope his younger body holds out. But since lives aren't on the line only money, No one in their right mind would do that. Instead it's going to be a very boring fight with Mayweather showing off his dancing moves and some pitter patter offense and then it will be mercifully over 120-108.

I definitely think Mayweather will stop him, but it could go the distance I suppose. I just can't imagine McGregor having the conditioning to go 12. Not because he's not a good athlete, just because you don't go out and train for a 12 round boxing match that you've never done before and get it right the first time. It's a ridiculous ask. These guys (outside of heavyweights sometimes) are extremely well tuned physically.

Just curious, what is the basis of your idea that McGregor is more powerful than anyone Mayweather has fought before? I don't see that.

I've seen a couple groups of people who do want to see the fight, but everyone seems to think Connor is fighting for the money and not a W. They are mostly MMA fans and want him to wreck Mayweather with a kick and just scrap the fight. But I am talking 5 guys here, 4 guys there. Overall, not really to the tune of the bajillion dollar payoff they think will happen. I don't really follow Sherdog etc tho, I would think those are the type of locations that the MMA world would be a-buzz about fight excitement. If.

Reactions: Nole Lou
I definitely think Mayweather will stop him, but it could go the distance I suppose. I just can't imagine McGregor having the conditioning to go 12. Not because he's not a good athlete, just because you don't go out and train for a 12 round boxing match that you've never done before and get it right the first time. It's a ridiculous ask. These guys (outside of heavyweights sometimes) are extremely well tuned physically.

Just curious, what is the basis of your idea that McGregor is more powerful than anyone Mayweather has fought before? I don't see that.

Oh I wasn't necessarily saying he would throw harder on average than some of Mayweather's opponents in a gym. But none of them (to my knowledge maybe you know someone who did) just said "%*%* it, we're doing it live!" Bill OReilly style and went in willing to absorb punches to land some hard shots of their own. Even Pacquiao was trying to box with him not land some haymakers. And in their prime there is NO one not even Pacquiao who can bob and dance and toss out some pitter patter punches with Floyd. He won that game every single time.

And I'm not talking about a 30 second bumrush we've seen those before and Floyd can dodge that for a period of time. I mean a relentless follow you and corner you taking shot after shot until you can land a couple of haymakers of your own.

But no I wasn't necessarily saying McGregor is some heavy handed knockout king...far from it. He's got heavier than average hands for a lightweight but unless he hits the button you're not going to go down on one punch. But, what everyone will say about McGregor is that 1) he's got accurate punches and tends to score more than an average MMA fighter and 2) he can deliver those accurate punches while getting hit himself i.e. He's "relentless". So other than missing "one punch knockout power" he's almost the perfect person to bumrush Floyd.

Actually on that note, he's smaller than McGregor and far less famous but the person I would want to see in a freak show versus Mayweather is Patricio "Pitbull" Freire. An absolutely fearless (i.e. perfectly willing to take massive hits with no defense) little guy with true one punch knockout power. Now THAT I would pay to see.

Oh I wasn't necessarily saying he would throw harder on average than some of Mayweather's opponents in a gym. But none of them (to my knowledge maybe you know someone who did) just said "%*%* it, we're doing it live!" Bill OReilly style and went in willing to absorb punches to land some hard shots of their own. Even Pacquiao was trying to box with him not land some haymakers. And in their prime there is NO one not even Pacquiao who can bob and dance and toss out some pitter patter punches with Floyd. He won that game every single time.

And I'm not talking about a 30 second bumrush we've seen those before and Floyd can dodge that for a period of time. I mean a relentless follow you and corner you taking shot after shot until you can land a couple of haymakers of your own.

But no I wasn't necessarily saying McGregor is some heavy handed knockout king...far from it. He's got heavier than average hands for a lightweight but unless he hits the button you're not going to go down on one punch. But, what everyone will say about McGregor is that 1) he's got accurate punches and tends to score more than an average MMA fighter and 2) he can deliver those accurate punches while getting hit himself i.e. He's "relentless". So other than missing "one punch knockout power" he's almost the perfect person to bumrush Floyd.

Actually on that note, he's smaller than McGregor and far less famous but the person I would want to see in a freak show versus Mayweather is Patricio "Pitbull" Freire. An absolutely fearless (i.e. perfectly willing to take massive hits with no defense) little guy with true one punch knockout power. Now THAT I would pay to see.

I follow you now. And yes, you're onto it, the key to challenging Mayweather. It takes pressure, and the times he's been pushed to the edge, against Castillo, De La Hoya and Maidana, that's the key. Even though I thought he clearly lost the fight, I thought the washed up De La Hoya showed the way with the pressure. I thought that fight was well within DLH's grasp, and he could have won that fight if he was a few years fresher. To be fair, I also think Mayweather may have had one of his rare tactical off nights in that fight, and if they played it back, maybe he would have whitewashed him. For a close, mega-money fight, DLH certainly never seemed all that interested in a return.

Castillo beat Mayweather and got robbed, with pressure. I think prime Margarito would have given him hell, and I think Cotto back in his 140 days would have had a good chance before he became more of a boxer (and extended his career considerably...good for him). But 140 Cotto was a terminator.

I think it takes more than just the will though to challenge Mayweather, I think it takes an elite skill set/intelligence/arsenal. And it's very hard or unusual for a guy with that kind of skill set (like Pac or Mosley or late model Cotto or young Canelo) to adopt that pressure tactic. That's usually a tool for guys with B level skill sets, like Ricky Hatton.

That's kind of a lost art, the pressure fighter who is also highly skilled...Joe Frazier and young Tyson are examples of what I'm talking about that people would immediately recognize. Pressure PLUS brilliant footwork, exquisite punch placement, defense, power. Today, a guy that has those skills is taught to fight in a manner that minimizes risk and lengthens the career. You also have to be willing to put gloves on Mayweather anywhere...shoulders, arms, back of head, forearms...just tough him. DLH did that great. Again...not a tactic that guys with world class skills easily adapt to...even when they claim that's what they're going to do.

But Margarito fit that bill, and Floyd wouldn't fight him. Castillo fit the bill and gave him all he wanted. That wasn't DLH's style, but he adopted it for the Mayweather fight and had success. Maidana is a little different...not as traditionally skilled as what I'm talking about, but a certain level of genius to his "rawness." I guess Maidana's success would be what McGregor fans might use to try to convince themselves because he looks raw and unorthodox, but that belies a guy in Maidana who was a really world class fighter for quite a few years and got a lot of nice scalps.

I'm not saying any style or any certain fighter is a lock to beat Mayweather by any means, but that's the strategy that can cause him problems.

I personally think McGregor lacks the boxing skill set to do that effectively, and if he does it will look like the Ricky Hatton fight at best, but I agree with your general line of thinking.

I've seen a couple groups of people who do want to see the fight, but everyone seems to think Connor is fighting for the money and not a W. They are mostly MMA fans and want him to wreck Mayweather with a kick and just scrap the fight. But I am talking 5 guys here, 4 guys there. Overall, not really to the tune of the bajillion dollar payoff they think will happen. I don't really follow Sherdog etc tho, I would think those are the type of locations that the MMA world would be a-buzz about fight excitement. If.

Just went to Reddit/MMA...there isn't a McGregor-Mayweather topic on the front page...I have to think the sweet spot is the middle, folks that aren't MMA fans OR boxing fans (which granted, is just about everyone)...that have just heard of the guys and can be convinced that it's something to see.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I have a buddy who wants to watch the fight. I told him I'd go to a bar with him, but I have zero interest. I'll be there for the beers and the company.

Lmao. Everything Dana White has said about boxing is true. That 'sport' is truly finished.
Haha Pac Man seems to get screwed by the judges fairly often. Pretty crazy how everyone had this a fairly easy win for Pac but the judges had it as a fairly easy win for Horn. Teddy Atlas just about lost it.

Haha Pac Man seems to get screwed by the judges fairly often. Pretty crazy how everyone had this a fairly easy win for Pac but the judges had it as a fairly easy win for Horn. Teddy Atlas just about lost it.

Very strange. Judging screw jobs happen frequently in boxing, but 98% of the time they go in favor of the marquee, A-side fighter. That's the way it goes.

Oddly, Pac is a superstar that has now had two very bad decisions go against him. That's so unusual...thats just not where the money really is. Obviously, being on the other fighter's home turf influenced this one I guess.

This fight will be over within 6 rounds. I'm not a Mayweather fan by any means, but CM has no stamina to last 5 in MMA and his boxing skills are limited. His jump/lunge jab, left will not connect and he will be picked apart easily. It's a shame that this crap will outsell Triple G versus Alvarez - that will be an epic war and hopefully, its judged by 3 people who are competent, unlike the robbery in Australia.

This fight will be over within 6 rounds. I'm not a Mayweather fan by any means, but CM has no stamina to last 5 in MMA and his boxing skills are limited. His jump/lunge jab, left will not connect and he will be picked apart easily. It's a shame that this crap will outsell Triple G versus Alvarez - that will be an epic war and hopefully, its judged by 3 people who are competent, unlike the robbery in Australia.

Mayweather-Gatti is about McGregor's most likely outcome, do you agree? If you go with the premise that Floyd's skills have diminished + the size will be commensurate with how much worse a boxer McGregor will be than Gatti?

Mayweather-Gatti is about McGregor's most likely outcome, do you agree? If you go with the premise that Floyd's skills have diminished + the size will be commensurate with how much worse a boxer McGregor will be than Gatti?

Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head. He was also done after 6 (or was it 5?) when the corner threw in the towel.

Yes. Should've charged for the press conferences and given the fight away for free.

ESPN couldn't keep up with muting McGregor's cursing.

McGregor should have asked Mayweather to read something.

I flipped over to FS2, and they kept the whole thing. No dump button there. Was kind of surprising (and awesome).

McGregor is up 10-9 if this is the first round.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I really hope that McGregor's manager/agent/lawyer made sure in the contract that he still gets paid the full amount if disqualified. I would love to see him get frustrated by Mayweather playing his dance and dodge game and just goes (as another poster said) Thunderlips on Floyd, ignores boxing rules and starts grounding and pounding him.

I really hope that McGregor's manager/agent/lawyer made sure in the contract that he still gets paid the full amount if disqualified. I would love to see him get frustrated by Mayweather playing his dance and dodge game and just goes (as another poster said) Thunderlips on Floyd, ignores boxing rules and starts grounding and pounding him.
Unfortunately, just the opposite is true.

Did McGregor at least rip on Mayweather for his rich tradition of beating up women?

Much like it should be w/Ray Lewis...and him murdering someone, the only topic that should ever come up when it comes to Mayweather is his propensity to beat women. Literally nothing else should ever be discussed, IMO.

The presser was thouroughly entertaining. Still can't figure out if I want Conor to pull the upset or get his ass beat.

Reading the whole thread; I haven't been this amped up for a fight since the old Thunderlips vs Rocky Balboa match...

Wow!!! Today's presser was AMAZIING!!!

CM: Floyd why are you carrying a book bag on stage? You know you can't even read.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Heard a broadcast where the analysts were saying how much more exciting it would be if after the eighth round, if McGregor is still around, MMA then becomes allowed for both fighters. Imagine Mayweather running for his life, that is if McGregor has enough left in the tank to take him out. I think it would be awesome. I would pay the $100 to see that!

I would have thought it would have made for better theatrics if there wasn't one of these 'pressers' 4 straight days..

Press conference was pretty entertaining and it lasted just long enough; much longer I would have changed the channel. A couple of observations:
- CM looks significantly larger than FM, not just weight but bone structure, head and neck size etc..
- In true FM style he talked trash about fighting in any format and specifically brought up glove size; such a b****% move when we all know FM would not have signed if any rules were changed from traditional boxing.
- I feel a little dirty liking CM since I usually don't like the big trash talker. CM has grown on me and I even watched his special on HBO or whatever when I was flying a few weeks ago.
- I still have a hard time finding a way CM wins; but after the presser I give him a little more of a chance; who knows why. Maybe it was just the shock in size difference.

Reactions: RTM58 and DFSNOLE
Wow!!! Today's presser was AMAZIING!!!

CM: Floyd why are you carrying a book bag on stage? You know you can't even read.
I didn't watch the whole thing but saw a highlight clip on Youtube. The "you know you can't read" comment was my favorite.

I just wish he'd spend more time calling out Mayweather for being a cowardly woman-beater.

Heard a broadcast where the analysts were saying how much more exciting it would be if after the eighth round, if McGregor is still around, MMA then becomes allowed for both fighters. Imagine Mayweather running for his life, that is if McGregor has enough left in the tank to take him out. I think it would be awesome. I would pay the $100 to see that!

Ha, honestly, that would be better. It would put some pressure on Floyd to get him out of there.

Mayweather better make this a good fight...maybe even take a fall to set up a re-match. The guy owes the federales a ton of money. I don't understand why these guys never pay their taxes.

I was watching a replay of the "full" press conference in Toronto just now. They have Drake come out and introduce the guys, then as he finishes, The Warchant plays?!?!? Its about 1 min into the video. Anyone have any clue how it is related to either of these guys or anything involved? NSFW language obviously if you go find the clip, its from Global news, and one of the first couple youtube results. I don't think I can link to language..and i didn't watch past the initial stare down trash talk, so can't comment on anything past that.

I didn't watch the whole thing but saw a highlight clip on Youtube. The "you know you can't read" comment was my favorite.

I just wish he'd spend more time calling out Mayweather for being a cowardly woman-beater.

Well at one point FM states he's saving his best comment for the last presser and it will be about CM's women. Not sure what that means open game for CM if that happens.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT