ADVERTISEMENT

Mires named cross country assistant

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
Via FSU sports information:

Baylee Mires joins the Florida State track and field and cross country program as an assistant coach for women’s distance/XC.

Mires spent the 2021-22 season as the women’s cross country and distant assistant coach at Notre Dame, where she helped the Irish place fifth at the NCAA Cross Country Championships.

“I’m super excited to have Baylee leading our women’s distance program,” FSU coach Bob Braman said. “She’s one of the best young coaches in the NCAA. Our shared goal is to return the women’s cross country team to our glory days when we finished among the top four in the country for six straight years.”

At the 2022 NCAA Women’s Outdoor Track and Field Championships, Notre Dame was only represented by its distance runners. She also coached the women’s distance medley relay to an All-American finish at the 2022 NCAA Indoor Track & Field Championships.

Prior to her first coaching stint, Mires ran professionally for the Brooks Beast Track Club and Under Armour and served as an assistant cross country and track coach for Bishop Blanchet High School in the Greater Seattle area.

Mires competed collegiately for the University of Washington from 2011-2016, earning First Team All-American honors in the 800M as a senior and in the distance medley relay as a freshman, junior and senior.

She also earned Second Team All-American accolades in the 800M as a junior. Mires was also a part of the National Championship-winning distance medley relay team as a freshman in 2011 as the first group of women in Washington’s history to win an indoor championship.

The Spokane, Wash., native competed in the 2016 U.S. Olympic Trials, where she ran a PR of 2:02.57 and finished 13th overall.

Her father, John Mires, was a coach, bringing home 12 Greater Spokane League titles and four state championships while at the helm at Mead High School.

“I’m beyond thrilled for this opportunity to add to the long-standing tradition of great cross country and track at Florida State,” Mires said. “FSU has a collection of incredibly talented athletes who are coached by world-class coaches, all set in an environment that you cannot beat. I’m eager to get to work.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT